Is MS degree a good option to go to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

applymed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 3.0 GPA and 24 MCAT so if I first get a MS in medical science from university of texas health science center will I have more chances to get into med schools in texas?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think a MS in Biochemistry or Molecular can save a low GPA?
An MS with high GPA and that counts Undergrad + Grad as one for their grade consideration can benefit from an MS. Generally, these schools are the minority and only at Osteopathic colleges as far as I know.

An MS with high GPA and that counts Undergrad + Grad as one for their grade consideration can benefit from an MS. Generally, these schools are the minority and only at Osteopathic colleges as far as I know.
Can you name a few MD schools that partake in this grading scheme? I'd appreciate it!

Can you name a few MD schools that partake in this grading scheme? I'd appreciate it!
As I said in my comment, as far as I know, only (some) Osteopathic colleges do this. I would be surprised if any MD program did this as they don't even do retakes.

I don't think any MD school accepts the MS GPA as a replacement for low BS/BA GPA, other than some of the SMP/Post-bacc type linkage programs.

Some MD school websites do mention taking graduate GPAs into account, but they are few and far between. OP, take a look around the websites of some of the MD schools you might be interested in or e-mailing admissions. Good luck :thumbup:

As I said in my comment, as far as I know, only (some) Osteopathic colleges do this. I would be surprised if any MD program did this as they don't even do retakes.

I don't think any MD school accepts the MS GPA as a replacement for low BS/BA GPA, other than some of the SMP/Post-bacc type linkage programs.

Some MD school websites do mention taking graduate GPAs into account, but they are few and far between. OP, take a look around the websites of some of the MD schools you might be interested in or e-mailing admissions. Good luck :thumbup:
These few DO schools don't take it as a replacement instead they just calculate it in addition to undergrad.

Ah. I believe MD schools do combine the post-bacc + undergrad GPAs; I have never seen a case where graduate and undergrad GPAs are combined.

These few DO schools don't take it as a replacement instead they just calculate it in addition to undergrad.

Ah. I believe MD schools do combine the post-bacc + undergrad GPAs; I have never seen a case where graduate and undergrad GPAs are combined.

This is correct. AMCAS provides post bac grades both separately and added in to UG.

Yes, both MD and DO combine uGPA + Post-bacc, and the only Osteopathic School I've heard combining with grad for their consideration is the Midwestern Campuses.