Is MWU-GCP a good school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmtasmic

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I was recently accepted to Midwestern University at Glendale. I really liked the campus and the 3 year program is really appealing, but haven't read too much about experiences at the school. Do any current students or alumni have any input? Is it a good school?

Members don't see this ad.

yes it is and it's got a good reputation nationally, so go for it!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have also been accepted here and am on the fence about making it my new number 1 choice, mainly for the 3 year program and good reputation it has for its program. Plus, can't beat the weather compared to Michigan's winters!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for replying! I've tried looking around for more information on Midwestern but I haven't found much. For sure there aren't any complaints, which is good! Could you point me in the direction of where I can read about others' opinions and reviews or it's recognition?

I have also been accepted here and am on the fence about making it my new number 1 choice, mainly for the 3 year program and good reputation it has for its program. Plus, can't beat the weather compared to Michigan's winters!

The 3 year program is very appealing! In this economy it seems like a smart choice. The weather would be awesome during AZ fall and winter!

I also just recently got an interview for the 3 year program at MCPHS. Can anyone offer input on pros and cons of each? Seems like MCPHS would cost about $6k less than MWU.

Hi! maybe I can help. I'm CPG c/o 2018, a 1st year student at MWU right now so I've completed 2 quarters so far. My brother is an alumni from c/o 2013. And my boyfriend got accepted for c/o 2019. So if you decide to come here say hi to him or me!

So a little bit about myself, I have my BS in biochemistry from UC San Diego, I worked in a lab for 3 years and at the time, only had 6 months pharmacy experience from the hospital. I only applied to MWU, so I can't speak for any other program. MWU is very fast paced, class in usually in session M-F from 8-4pm (give or take a hour or two). We get 1 week break in between each quarter (in Nov we get 3 weeks off!). Each quarter, you will have ~6 courses for total of 16-17 units. At most, each quarter will consist of 2-3 vigorous classes (such as biochemistry, physiology, immunology). If you have taken these courses in undergrad, great! It will be a good foundation for you and you'll have it a little bit easier than others who haven't taken these classes. Expect to have 1-2 exam every week, sometimes 3 exams *yikes*. The curriculum is tough and exhausting, but there is a lot of help offered. Professors have a open door policy. So no office hours, you can stop by anytime, no appointment needed. You also have current classmates and upperclassmen who help out 1st years as well. It's no longer a competition, you made it in! Everyone just wants us to succeed. As far as workload and study time goes, I study about 4-5 hours after class everyday and if it's before a exam, I go all night. It is very easy to fall behind especially when you have 2-3 exams in 1 week. But, just manage your time well and you'll be fine, exhausted, overwhelmed, but fine.

You may remember Mesquite Hall, the clinical stimulation center during the campus tour? Every quarter, we have 3 patient interviews where the school hires actors and we are tested on different clinical scenarios to prepare for the real world, such as counseling on new prescriptions, cough and cold, antibiotics, asthma (interviews I have done so far). It is GREAT learning experience especially if you have no background in pharmacy. It's great practice for those who are nervous talking to patients but, because you are doing interviews consistently, you gain more confidence and it gets less nerve racking each time. It is video recorded and you can replay your interview and see how you look, see what you need to work on, etc. I love that class.

What is there to do outside of school? To be honest, not much in Glendale, AZ. The usual...eating, happy hour at bars, shopping, farmer markets, outdoor activities like hiking, biking. There a lot of chain restaurants. I haven't explored too much because I rather study or sleep :p

As far as internship go, I would estimate half the class is working right now and most students work ~8hrs/week. It is very doable. There are lots of open positions for retail internship in AZ (CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Fry's) and pharmacy managers are usually very flexible with interns. I suggest testing the waters first, see how you do your 1st quarter then apply for an internship your 2nd quarter. There is no rush to get a job :). I was working my 1st two quarters, but quit to devote all my time to school. I plan on working again my 2nd year. Many of my current classmates have kids, work, and go to school!

Not sure what kind of pharmacy you want to do? You will have a whole course dedicated to what fields of pharmacy are out there! Are you considering a residency? They will help you decide what's best option for you. There are lots of guest speakers during lunch that come in to talk about their field and give you some exposure to different kinds of pharmacy. I believe MWU-CPG NAPLEX passing rate is above national and residency match rates are high as well. They also have their accreditation secure till 2021 so no worries about being on probation like some other schools.

Some cons I have heard....I have heard that compared to UofA, MWU students "cram" the information and can't retain as much because of the accelerated 3-year program. I personally, do not feel like that way (but I'm only half way through my 1st year). The information builds on itself each quarter, so it is crucial to understand, not memorize. I have also heard MWU pumps out a lot of retail pharmacist compared to UofA which prepares you more for clinical pharmacy. But, it's what you make of it right? About 25% of MWU graduates are employed in hospital setting after graduation. Whatever works for you! If you want a position in a institutional setting, network, get an internship, land a residency. All in all, I'm very happy to be a student here. I've learned A LOT in my 1st two quarters here and I do feel like they are preparing me well. Everyone including other programs are very friendly and helpful.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! maybe I can help. I'm CPG c/o 2018, a 1st year student at MWU right now so I've completed 2 quarters so far. My brother is an alumni from c/o 2013. And my boyfriend got accepted for c/o 2019. So if you decide to come here say hi to him or me!

This is awesome. Thanks so much for sharing! I will be c/o 2019 as well!! :) Currently working for a chain company as a tech, so I'm going to try to transfer to a store around the Glendale area as an intern. I'm interested in interning at a hospital pharmacy though... do you have any advice on how to go about that?

This is awesome. Thanks so much for sharing! I will be c/o 2019 as well!! :) Currently working for a chain company as a tech, so I'm going to try to transfer to a store around the Glendale area as an intern. I'm interested in interning at a hospital pharmacy though... do you have any advice on how to go about that?

Awesome!! I'm so excited for you! You should have no problem transferring a store near school. During your 1st or 2nd week of school, MWU helps all the P1 start/process their intern license (if you already have an AZ tech license this should be very quick for you since you don't have to get your fingerprints done). So as far as interning at hospital goes, I have a few friends working right now at hospitals (Banner, John C. Lincoln, Mayo), but most if not all had been working there as techs. I don't think hospital hire as many P1s as they do P2 & P3 since they are further along in the curriculum. I know Banner hires P1 interns, but they require a lot of hours ~15h/week. Not sure about others facilities...my best advice is to network and maybe someone you meet can get you an interview. You will have a better chance when you go on your IPPEs/APPEs rotations which occur in your 2nd and last year of school. IPPE are 4 week long rotations and APPEs are 6 week long. For IPPEs, you get to do 1 ambulatory and 1 institutional rotation. Hopefully, you are assigned an awesome institutional site like a hopsital. Take these rotations as a month-long interview. If make a good impression on your preceptor and the staff, maybe you'll get an interview and get hired! Chances are slim, but I have one friend who got hired from her IPPE rotation.