Is the July 20th MCAT test date too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennisgirl007

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am a junior biochemistry major with plans on attending medical school right after graduation. I would prefer to not take a gap year but I know this may not be possible. I plan on taking the MCAT July 20th. How much will this affect my chances of getting in since I will be applying later in the cycle? Any advice? Thanks :)
My stats are:
- 3.94 GPA
-300+ hours of consistent volunteering at a hospital
- 2 years of research experience
-public relations officer of the bio honor society
-organic chemistry tutor
-outstanding sophomore award
-highest grade in gen chem award

Members don't see this ad.

We have a student that just took her MCAT last week that had almost an identical application (chemistry award, orgo tutor, sophomore award) she also started a women and science club on her campus! You are a phenomenal applicant. Taking the MCAT on July 20th is certainly a risk if you want to apply this cycle. What type of medical school would you like to go to? If you are aiming for Harvard or other premier medical schools, this may be too late. Other schools may be open to your application if you present your authentic self in a strong and compelling way. That being said, the rule of thumb is always to apply June 1, so if you want the best chances of getting into the best medical schools, taking a gap year is probably the best move for you. Keep up the good work!

I think that date is absolutely fine. You can use the month you're waiting for your score to pre-write your secondaries, or to submit your primiary if you haven't (to 1 school). Get all your secondaries in by Labor Day and you'll stil be considered on time.

Reactions: 1 user