Is this a good list for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lomm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
MD
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
Texas Tech El Paso
UT Houston
Ut San Antonio
Southwestern
Baylor
Dell
Arkansas
George Washington
South Carolina
New York Medical College
Rush
Arizona Phoenix
Utah
Arizona Tuscon
Vermont
Kansas City
Cincinatti
Tulane
Loma Linda
Rio Grande

DO
TCOM
Western

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest:

Texas A&M
Texas Tech
Texas Tech El Paso
Ut San Antonio
Dell
New York Medical College
Rush
Arizona Phoenix
Arizona Tuscon
Tulane
Loma Linda (have you read their list of don'ts?)
Rio Grande
VCU
Wake Forest
U Miami
VCU
EVMS
All new MD programs except Hofstra, Va tech and Central MI
Albany
Creighton
MCW
SLU
Tufts
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
ANY DO school

Members don't see this ad :)
Are the new MD programs what you have listed?

@gyngyn I want to stay in Texas but I'm worried about just applying to those.

I cannot recommend OOS MD unless you fit the mission of a mission-based school.

The only distinct mission I've seen is a mission geared toward the underserved. If one has around ~1 year volunteer work with the homeless, at a soup kitchen, etc. it seems like one should fit the mission just fine.

The only distinct mission I've seen is a mission geared toward the underserved. If one has around ~1 year volunteer work with the homeless, at a soup kitchen, etc. it seems like one should fit the mission just fine.
For example: Loma Linda, USUHS, Meharry, Howard, Morehouse, UCR...

For example: Loma Linda, USUHS, Meharry, Howard, Morehouse, UCR...

I'm not black but I have work with the underserved (will have about a 1 year or so). And my stats would make me competitive at the HBCUs. Would you really discourage me from applying? I just want to get into one school. Anywhere.

Their mission is essentially geared toward the "underserved."

@gyngyn I want to stay in Texas but I'm worried about just applying to those.
I understand. The facts however, speak for themselves. TX produced 3,870 applicants to MD schools last year. Only 193 of them matriculated into OOS MD schools! In my experience these tend to be very accomplished candidates for whom the prestige and recruitment $ were sufficient to lure them away from UTSW and Baylor.

Regular TX applicants have a good chance at IS schools, but for OOS they are realistically looking at DO.

I'm not black but I have work with the underserved (will have about a 1 year or so). And my stats would make me competitive at the HBCUs. Would you really discourage me from applying? I just want to get into one school. Anywhere.

Their mission is essentially geared toward the "underserved."
These schools have more than a century of experience identifying those who are likely to dedicate themselves to a lifetime of commitment to their target patient population. If this is not you, at least your secondary fees are going to a worthy cause. Thus, I only advise that this is low yield unless you fit the mission. Your choice of a donation is entirely your own.

Reactions: 1 user
These schools have more than a century of experience identifying those who are likely to dedicate themselves to a lifetime of commitment to their target patient population. If this is not you, at least your secondary fees are going to a worthy cause. Thus, I only advise that this is low yield unless you fit the mission. Your choice of a donation is entirely your own.

If around a year of volunteer work is enough to convince most schools that the student is committed to a lifetime of medicine, I'm not sure I understand why the HBCUs would be any different? Do you have any idea what types of activities or stories or experiences could show this type of commitment?

I will reconsider it but I am still am heavily leaning toward applying to them.

If around a year of volunteer work is enough to convince most schools that the student is committed to a lifetime of medicine, I'm not sure I understand why the HBCUs would be any different? Do you have any idea what types of activities or stories or experiences could show this type of commitment?

I will reconsider it but I am still am heavily leaning toward applying to them.
A year of volunteer work does not distinguish you as a leader or servant of people of color. It is pretty normal, actually.
I lifetime of dedication is more what they are looking for, people who have walked the the walk, so to speak.

in other words, what happened in TX, stays in TX.

Except internet-fueled paranoia about government invasions. I'm surprised the tin-foil hat crowd isn't screaming about "black helicopters". You kids are too young to remember this reference, but gyngyn probably knows what i'm talking about.

I understand. The facts however, speak for themselves. TX produced 3,870 applicants to MD schools last year. Only 193 of them matriculated into OOS MD schools! In my experience these tend to be very accomplished candidates for whom the prestige and recruitment $ were sufficient to lure them away from UTSW and Baylor.

Regular TX applicants have a good chance at IS schools, but for OOS they are realistically looking at DO.

@gyngyn and @Goro so do you think I would be ok just applying Texas and OOS DO?

Last edited:
@gyngyn and @Goro so do you think I would be ok just applying Texas and OOS DO? I have 3 years of research with poster presentations I have won, 300+ hours of non clinical volunteering, about 100 shadowing hours of various specialties, and 5 leadership positions.
Yes.