Is this LOR ok?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clocks123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I am TA'ing for chem lab, can I ask the instructor for a LOR even if they aren't technically a professor yet? Would it still count as a science or just a work related LOR?

Members don't see this ad.

Would be better from someone that has taught you. I think that's work related.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just keep in mind, TA LOR's aren't weighted as highly as LOR's from professors . . .

Did you take a class with the instructor previously? If so, then that's great for a science rec. I asked an instructor I'd taken a class with and TA'ed with for a letter and it was fine as a science rec. If you haven't taken the class with them previously, it's probably better as a work rec.

Reactions: 1 user
How well do you know this professor you are requesting a letter from? How long have you worked for him/her? That will determine the quality of the letter.

I also got a letter from a professor I graded for, but I also took the professors' class a year before I actually began grading for her.

How well do you know this professor you are requesting a letter from? How long have you worked for him/her? That will determine the quality of the letter.

I also got a letter from a professor I graded for, but I also took the professors' class a year before I actually began grading for her.
I will have TA'd with him for two semesters after this spring and I interact with him fairly often. This person never graded me as I took the class when a different professor was teaching it so I guess it would be a work letter not a science rec.