Is this Post-bacc Padding?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaterCLurker

Aspiring Jedi Knight
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So a question on padding and a general question about my course choices.

I'm taking some post-bacc classes to raise my gpa and with the large number of credits I've already accumulated, I've got to take a good deal of credits to get any significant sort of gain. I've already taken all the pre-reqs (during undergrad so those grades are a little lackluster) and the word on the street is that I should take upper level biology courses to show I can handle the material.

So each semester, I'm taking 1-2 upper level bio classes with a physics/math class mixed in there (campus/lecture classes). My question is this, if I take an online 5-credit language 101/102 classes offered by the same school on top of that each semester, would that seem like padding? I'm pretty handy with languages, have been meaning to learn this language for a while, and think the return on the credits is a lot greater than the amount of work I would have to put in. I work full-time so this is less of a lazy thing and more of a can't-leave-work-for-any-more-classes and only-so-many-hours-in-the-day thing.

Also, is adding the physics/math class into the class combo a good decision since it seems like it would be biology that admins would care about? My undergrad bcpm classes were only about 1/3 or 1/4 of my total credits so I'd get a boost for both cgpa and sgpa if I limit myself to bcpm classes and there are only so many bio classes offered in a semester (and I'm handier with physics/math).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm, one the one hand, anything you take that you can get A's in will help your GPA. On the other, in my experience with this, Adcoms did not care about my language classes and they wouldn't care much about math/physics beyond the basic pre-reqs.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm, one the one hand, anything you take that you can get A's in will help your GPA. On the other, in my experience with this, Adcoms did not care about my language classes and they wouldn't care much about math/physics beyond the basic pre-reqs.

Assuming post-bacc bio grades = post-bacc math/physics grades, would it be, wouldn't care as in "We'll focus our attention on your biology grades as opposed to your math/physics grades." or "True, your post-bacc grades are great but 1/2 of those credits are math/physics/language as opposed to 100% biology. I'm not impressed with your new track record despite your high grades." ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming post-bacc bio grades = post-bacc math/physics grades, would it be, wouldn't care as in "We'll focus our attention on your biology grades as opposed to your math/physics grades." or "True, your post-bacc grades are great but 1/2 of those credits are math/physics/language as opposed to 100% biology. I'm not impressed with your new track record despite your high grades." ?

I'm out of depth here.

Paging
@Goro

Goro will be able to answer better but from what I can piece together, Pre-req gpa > science gpa > cumulative gpa, but all are important. They dont have the time to focus on basket weaving vs high tech basket weaving (and they would be more inclined to look at your EC's than waste their limited evaluation time on those type of details). I exhausted all the bio classes at my post-bacc institution and if it came to it I would have started taking physics and math. If you feel those are easier A's for you to get past the pre-reqs then go for it.

Ah, now that I've had a few nights of solid sleep, I can see the neuroticism that makes me obsess over these things. And here I thought I was finally growing out of such things. -_-

Conclusion that I'm settling on: A's are good, science A's are better, and while C's get degrees, they don't get medical degrees. Thanks to everyone for indulging me! :)

You've received good advice here. No need for me to weigh in any further. I will steal this great quote though!
:)

Conclusion that I'm settling on: A's are good, science A's are better, and while C's get degrees, they don't get medical degrees. Thanks to everyone for indulging me!:)