Is this the end for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

valencia2027

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I graduated undergrad with ~3.0 GPA. I received a 23 on my MCAT (took it a few years ago). I recently did a one-year SMP masters program, but failed to reach the cut off. The first semester I got a 2.88, and the second semester I got a 3.7. Although I worked really hard to try to be in the top 50% of the class, my first semester GPA still brought me down.

I am now thinking of what other options I can take. My advisor suggested that I re-take my MCAT, and apply again to schools. However, I think that my first semester GPA in my masters will cut my chances at getting in anywhere. Should I start thinking of alternative options?

Members don't see this ad.

If your MCAT grade is more than 2 years old you have to retake it again anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
your adviser gives crap advice.

if you want it, work for it. search sdn on "low gpa". spend weeks reading, taking notes, absorbing. be the grownup in charge of your fate.

don't even think about an mcat retake for at least another year.

best of luck to you.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
your adviser gives crap advice.

if you want it, work for it. search sdn on "low gpa". spend weeks reading, taking notes, absorbing. be the grownup in charge of your fate.

don't even think about an mcat retake for at least another year.

best of luck to you.

Thanks! I have actually been lurking on the low GPA thread for some time. I guess the issue is I have one semester of good grades, one semester of bad grades, and a low MCAT. I'm not sure which issue I need to tackle first. If I were to re-take my MCAT, I'd have to start prepping for the new exam. If I were to take some more classes to boost my GPA, I'm not even sure what classes I'd need to take (since I took year 1 medical student classes during my SMP)

tougher love then. you've not read nearly enough. the low gpa body of work on sdn is not a "thread." you are squandering a vast, authoritative, definitive resource produced by a host of individuals who have succeeded from your situation. you are expecting somebody else to figure things out and explain them to you. this is not characteristic of those who have succeeded from your situation. be the grownup in charge.

Reactions: 3 users
I honestly think this is one of those moments when it might be really beneficial to ask some med school admissions folks directly if you can sit down and talk about what it would take to get an acceptance in your current situation. Call some MD and DO schools and set up Apts (if you can) to take your info in and talk with them. Try to go with your list of concerns and they can help you. I don't know what an app killer it would be with your GPA, but your old mcat might be slightly more forgivable if you destroy the new one. @Goro , what would you see with that situation? @QofQuimica this doesn't seem clearly one way or another.

Hello,

I graduated undergrad with ~3.0 GPA. I received a 23 on my MCAT (took it a few years ago). I recently did a one-year SMP masters program, but failed to reach the cut off. The first semester I got a 2.88, and the second semester I got a 3.7. Although I worked really hard to try to be in the top 50% of the class, my first semester GPA still brought me down.

I am now thinking of what other options I can take. My advisor suggested that I re-take my MCAT, and apply again to schools. However, I think that my first semester GPA in my masters will cut my chances at getting in anywhere. Should I start thinking of alternative options?

MD has a snowballs chance and you are unlikely that snowball. A 23 MCAT is useless and won't get you in anywhere!

Dr Midlife gave excellent advice and if you do such you'd have a list of at least a dozen suggestions that I haven't heard you've completed. Given that, I'd say this is likely the end for you. Time to figure out the next career move.

All the best

I agree and think it's time for Plan B.

I honestly think this is one of those moments when it might be really beneficial to ask some med school admissions folks directly if you can sit down and talk about what it would take to get an acceptance in your current situation. Call some MD and DO schools and set up Apts (if you can) to take your info in and talk with them. Try to go with your list of concerns and they can help you. I don't know what an app killer it would be with your GPA, but your old mcat might be slightly more forgivable if you destroy the new one. @Goro , what would you see with that situation? @QofQuimica this doesn't seem clearly one way or another.

OP medicine is rough. Just to give you some perspective the year I was accepted to my allopathic school 5000 people applied for about 180 spots.

MD-you already did a SMP and it didn't work out. The SS allopath has set sail.

DO-you could do grade replacement and then retake the mcat. I'm going to guess you would be 2-3 years away from taking the mcat after perfect grade replacement. I would also encourage you to take a mcat prep course. This would be a lot of work, money and stress without a guarantee.

PA-Some schools can be just as competitive as MD/DO. You would have to research this more for yourself.

NP-this is the most efficient path (time and money) for you if you're interested in seeing patients. It's another bachelors and masters. Obviously no mcat and you're almost guaranteed to be accepted.

Reactions: 1 users
You also need to take into account that many of the non-trads you are going to be competing against for slots are natural born gunners coming from markedly successful careers and feature compelling back stories already, leaving only grades and MCAT to separate the wheat from the proverbial chaff.

Agree with the others that I'd advise the OP to move on. OP then has two options: accept that advice because his/her dedication to becoming a physician isn't all that serious, as convincingly evidenced by his/her consistent pattern of poor academic performance. Or get mad and be determined to prove me and the other know it alls wrong. Either way, OP, time to s*** or get off the pot. You're not a viable candidate for any accredited medical school in this country as things currently stand.

Reactions: 2 users