Is writing an honors thesis worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swindoll

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I write a thesis, I can graduate with either a magna or summa cum laude. If I don't, I will get cum laude.
I'm already working as an undergrad assistant in a lab and have an idea of what I could write about.

Is it even worth the effort though?
I've caught a major senioritis when I found out I was accepted into ds..

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

just do it. You've worked hard to this point, might as well get the honors. It won't help you at all though lol

Reactions: 1 user
Worth it to who?

If it's not worth it to you, it's definitely not gonna be worth it to anyone else.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Worth it to who?

If it's not worth it to you, it's definitely not gonna be worth it to anyone else.
To me obviously. As in, will I be able to use it in any way in the future.

I wrote a thesis back in undergrad and I think the only thing it did (besides being a requirement to graduate from the Honors College) was help me write my thesis for my Master's degree.

Reactions: 1 users
I wrote one because I had the time during my last lazy semester of undergrad. Writing the thesis forced me to really zoom in on and learn a lot about my particular area of research and it gave me an appreciation for what biological research and academia are really about. It was also nice that we had a class full of kids destined for grad/med/other professional schools and I got to learn where many of them were heading by the end of the semester.

To be honest, it's probably not necessary if you know you just want to be a GP. If you are dreading it, don't do it. You don't have to. If you want to do research during dental school, writing the thesis might point you in a particular direction or just give you the opportunity to get into a lab since you have previous experience.

Don't be lazy, do it. If you get any desire of wanting to specialize after dental school (and if you are not in dental school, you likely have no idea what you want to do right now), then it will be hugely beneficial to have research articles, publications, presentations, or in your case, a thesis, as just another bullet point you can put down on your resume. It shows you did go the extra step when you could have taken the easy way out and not done it.