ITE 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep, that's how it is now too. So you're saying a 32 at any level would be indicative of passing for boards?
There was a paper, years ago, which concluded that a score of 32 or higher on ITE, in all 3 years of residency, correlated with a ~92-93% chance of passing the written boards on the first try.

I would say that a score of 40 or higher as a CA-anything virtually guarantees passing the boards.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My hat off to you, sir or madam. You must be in the high 90 percentiles, or close. What is it?

You could pass your written boards today in the top 20%, no doubt about it. I am almost afraid to ask how much you scored as a CA-1. :)

Haha, thanks! High 40's as a CA1 last year too... Afraid any more specifics would be identifiable

Haha, thanks! High 40's as a CA1 last year too... Afraid any more specifics would be identifiable
I sincerely hope you are getting one of the best fellowships this country has to offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many anesthesia residents used to not be able to pass the ITE until their CA-3 year. I don't know how it's scored now, but that used to correspond to a score of 32, which is nothing to write home about. That's why they broke up the written boards into two exams, because of all the geniuses in the specialty who were not studying properly.

Wow, that's pathetic. But I don't doubt that's why we have the basic exam now. I agree with the previous poster, you should be able to get a passing score CA1 year.

Wow, that's pathetic. But I don't doubt that's why we have the basic exam now. I agree with the previous poster, you should be able to get a passing score CA1 year.
In my CA-1 year, there were less than 20% who achieved that. I doubt the numbers were much different in other programs, hence the need for a real board exam after the CA-1 year.

Thanks! I applied broadly for Pain, we'll see what happens :)
As I recently lamented to a very good derm resident, who gave me an excellent differential in an ICU patient (while having been called just to biopsy some skin lesion): the best and brightest are getting into specialties where they do the least good. ;)

Best of luck! But it's a waste of brain.

As I recently lamented to a very good derm resident, who gave me an excellent differential in an ICU patient (while having been called just to biopsy some skin lesion): the best and brightest are getting into specialties where they do the least good. ;)

Best of luck! But it's a waste of brain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
My hat off to you, sir or madam. You must be in the high 90 percentiles, or close. What is it?

You could pass your written boards today in the top 20%, no doubt about it. I am almost afraid to ask how much you scored as a CA-1. :)

I haven't seen this year's norm table, but in the past the upper 90s for a CA-2 started in the low 40s. High 40s is surely a straight up 99. Nice work.

I haven't seen this year's norm table, but in the past the upper 90s for a CA-2 started in the low 40s. High 40s is surely a straight up 99. Nice work.
And s/he's going into pain! That just pains me. :cryi:

Members don't see this ad :)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    143.3 KB · Views: 548
Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone recommend a video lecture series for ITE specific prep?

Can anyone recommend a video lecture series for ITE specific prep?

I don't know of any. The only non-qbank or reference book source I used was audio blue from Jensen. I also used audio red/ranger red for orals which I thought was helpful. It gave me something useful to listen to on my commute instead of writers almanac and morning edition on NPR.

I don't know of any. The only non-qbank or reference book source I used was audio blue from Jensen. I also used audio red/ranger red for orals which I thought was helpful. It gave me something useful to listen to on my commute instead of writers almanac and morning edition on NPR.

Ditto here. I liked Jensen. Except his ranger red series had a lot of shameless self promo. Kind of got annoying. Also the Kentucky lectures are really good too

And s/he's going into pain! That just pains me. :cryi:

Man, I want to do big things in pain and stay academic. There is certainly... opportunity for the field to grow.

As much a tragedy than the 260 USMLE Step 1 scores getting wasted on ortho. :)

Ortho is hard, even for smart people... I don't know what gives anyone the impression otherwise! I have some buddies in ortho and they are awesome at gen med.

For what it's worth, I recommend sticking to qbanks, but I know everyone learns differently. I think mastering the Hall questions as well as TrueLearn could definitely earn you a 50 -- the info is all there, it's just tough to remember it. I missed several questions that I know were basically right out of those qbanks, but I just couldn't whip out the knowledge. Qbanks are SUPER dense if you're doing them appropriately.

The Kentucky lectures are really, really good.

Pass Machine lectures are ok.

Combo of Hall/M5/ACE worked well for me, though I wasn't in the superstars range.

Going to try and set up a year long study plan for written boards for next year in the next few weeks.Goal is to get through a full set of my "plan" for ITE and repeat it for writtens if I felt like it worked.

Just heard back, happily surprised with results. CA2, high 40's. I felt much worse on this test compared to last year's, but still improved.
Improved my percentile to the upper-end 90s as well! I agree with the above... don't waste yourself on pain, hahaha. ;)
Nah, I'm sure you'll rock wherever you go! Good luck on the match, WashMe!

Anyone has a percentile correlation table for this year? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

does anyone have a link for one of those audio sources mentioned above (university of kentucky, jensen audio blue)? i could only find the jensen audio...for like 500 bucks on 25 cds. this on a day i'm about to swap out my head unit in my car for bluetooth only.

Yep, that's how it is now too. So you're saying a 32 at any level would be indicative of passing for boards?
Back in the day, the ITE was given during July and was administered at the same time grads were taking the exam for real. It was all the same exam, but all exam questions were not scored exactly the same for each participant. The ones taking it for real would also see some "trial" questions that they did not know were trial questions. These did not contribute to their final score in the numerator or denominator. They we re just mixed in with the other questions to see how they performed and if they discriminated well among test takers. I believe that the "trial questions" did become part of the scaled score on the ITE. Therefore, because of the extra questions thrown in the mix, it was difficult to say that a scaled score of x correlated with a passing score on the exam. All of that being said, a 32 would be a pass almost always and a 33 was a lock to pass. I believe that those scaled scores still hold up fairly well, however, the further we get away from the old system the less reliable that likely is. They used to give you the same scaled score when you took the exam for real, so it was easy to compare your performances over the ITE's and the written exam scores. About a decade ago, the writtens began to be scored using a 3 digit scale that you have had no previous exposure too. They would also not give you a percentile. Some mathematical gymnastics would allow you to estimate your percentile, but few calculated it in my experience. I believe that last year, they began telling the grads what percentile they got on the exam. This is new data and, I think, very useful.
As I mentioned in another post, performance on the oral exam has a lot to do with knowledge, despite what others will tell you. Therefore, it should not be a surprise that if you ace the written exam, you are more likely to pass the oral exam on your first attempt. If you perform poorly on the written exam, but barely scrape by and pass it, you are much less likely to pass the oral exam on your first attempt.
So, in short, yes, a 32 equivalent when you take the part 2 exam may get you a passing score, however, you should aim for a much higher score.

I hope this clears it up a bit. It can be very confusing.

Scored a 51. Ain't no thing but a chicken wing. The President of the ABA called to congratulate me and said they were just going to go ahead and award my board certification. Then, my program director called me into their office and told me that I didn't need to complete my CA-3 year. And today alone, I've received 14 fellowship position offers, all from top 10 institutions. Funny thing is, I didn't even apply for a fellowship.

Reactions: 3 users
Scored a 51. Ain't no thing but a chicken wing. The President of the ABA called to congratulate me and said they were just going to go ahead and award my board certification. Then, my program director called me into their office and told me that I didn't need to complete my CA-3 year. And today alone, I've received 14 fellowship position offers, all from top 10 institutions. Funny thing is, I didn't even apply for a fellowship.
Hahahaha nailed it

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Are the U of K lectures something that are only available to their students or are they in a public forum that others can have access to? I would be interested to listen to them.

How does ITE score correlate to the ABA board examination in your opinion. If 50th percentile across the nation occurs at 29, 34, 35-36 for CA-1, CA2, and CA-3 years respectively? Should people be worried to be at the 50th percentile?

How does ITE score correlate to the ABA board examination in your opinion. If 50th percentile across the nation occurs at 29, 34, 35-36 for CA-1, CA2, and CA-3 years respectively? Should people be worried to be at the 50th percentile?

No. 50th percentile is a pass. Assuming you continue to study and stay in the 50th percentile when you take your written.

No. 50th percentile is a pass. Assuming you continue to study and stay in the 50th percentile when you take your written.

I'm ok with being in the middle of the pack. Any thoughts on how middle of the pack scores effects fellowship opps? How closely are ITEs looked into now a days. Im thinking of doing ICU and/or cardiac. Plus given how many unfilled spots exist - there should ample chance at going to a good to great program.

My program director still hasn't received our ITE scores. Any other programs still waiting? Any reason for a delay like this?

I'm ok with being in the middle of the pack. Any thoughts on how middle of the pack scores effects fellowship opps? How closely are ITEs looked into now a days. Im thinking of doing ICU and/or cardiac. Plus given how many unfilled spots exist - there should ample chance at going to a good to great program.

Just like residency, apply broad and you'll get in somewhere. Everyone in my class pretty much got their 1st or 2nd choice in fellowships (icu, cards, peds, pain). Im from a good program, but not ivy leagish. I don't know too much about applying for fellowship personally though. The people who went into fellowship were not necessarily the top in the class ite wise either.

My program director still hasn't received our ITE scores. Any other programs still waiting? Any reason for a delay like this?

If your program hasn't paid the invoice from the ABA, your program will not receive the scores :nono:

Got my score back today. 35 (ca-2) up from 30 last year. Interesting because 30 was 44th percentile last year for CA1s and this year a 30 is 56th percentile. So I don't buy that magic number (33) logic.

Also I find it interesting the mean for CA2s is 72% and for CA1s only 75% .

Well considering the magic number was a score on a test including all subject matter correlated to a 1st time pass rate of like 90% on a board exam you're not going to take, I'd say I wouldn't count on it being valid.

Well considering the magic number was a score on a test including all subject matter correlated to a 1st time pass rate of like 90% on a board exam you're not going to take, I'd say I wouldn't count on it being valid.

I know several CA3s who got single or low digit percentiles and went on to pass written/oral boards. Most people will pass in general.

People have bad days, etc. SDN never fails to bring out the gunners no matter what level.

SDN tends to be a platform for high achievers. Plenty of people with lower ITE scores will get the fellowship they want and pass their boards. I think ITE score importance is over exaggerated to some extent, and fellowship applications are based on the applicant as a whole, not just a number on a single test.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
My point is the ITE, with both "basic" and "advanced" topics being tested no longer mimics the written exam everyone will take going forward (Part 2). I'm not arguing general anesthesia knowledge and mastery is no longer important and does not predict board success, I'm just saying whatever magic number was once correlated is likely no longer the case.

Got my score back today. 35 (ca-2) up from 30 last year. Interesting because 30 was 44th percentile last year for CA1s and this year a 30 is 56th percentile. So I don't buy that magic number (33) logic.

Also I find it interesting the mean for CA2s is 72% and for CA1s only 75% .
I understand your reluctance to believe it, but I still believe it to be valid, at least to some degree. The standard for your passing or not passing has nothing to do with how others who are taking the exam do (perhaps to a small degree, it might; I will explain in a minute). In the years I have been following this process, the standard for passing has remained pretty stable and the pass rates have varied. In the late 90's, the pass rate plummeted as less competitive candidates were going through the process. They did not lower the bar to keep an 88-92% pass rate, and it dropped into the 60's for percent passing a couple of times (based on ABA's own data they released). The pass rate for orals dropped as low as 58%, IIRC. I have heard this preached for many years. The minimum standards for achieving board certification do not change just because the group you take it with is super smart or super bad. It should be stable so that you know exactly what you need to achieve to attain it. That is where the scaled score numbers help. A 33 is barely scraping by and numerous knowledge gaps may be exposed when the orals come around. A 40 or greater(as a CA-III) will have significantly fewer knowledge gaps and a much better chance of passing the orals than someone who got a 33 (as a CA-III) despite the fact that they both got a "pass" on the written.

Granted, these are all pretty new exams, so the ABA holds standard setting sessions where PD's from around the country come in, take the exam, and determine what an acceptable pass rate should be. They do this the first few years until they have what they feel to be a more stable exam. The pass rate is super high at first, because they feel that it should not unfairly punish those who did not have anyone's prior experience with which to base their studying on. As the exam becomes more mature and the reliability of it is better known, they have higher expectations and the pass rate is slowly normalized to be more in line with their usual pass rates. So, I think that is really the only way that it could matter how other people did. If the exam is new enough that they are still doing standard setting exercises, this could potentially impact it, I guess. I think they try to make up for that by setting the bar a bit lower on the first few administrations of a new exam. Therefore, I would expect that this summer's first administration of the new advanced exam will have a lower bar to account for the fact that it is new and the takers do not have past experience of others to base anything upon in their prep.

Just for clarity, the advanced exam will also contain some Basic topics, it will just be much more heavily weighted to advanced topics.

This is a time of great change in the process, so the utility of this information may be sketchy for a couple of years, but I think that the 33 scaled score will likely correlate with a barely passing score that leaves you exposed to possibly fail the orals.

Disclosure: I am in no way affiliated with the ABA and take no position on whether they are good or bad. I do, however, follow the process closely and try to stay well versed on the trends and changes that have occurred. Just trying to give a little historical perspective.

Last edited:
Made a 21 as a pgy-1, i guess thats an OK start?
I walked into residency on July 1st, back when the ITE/board exam was the 1st weekend in July. I took my pre-CA-1 ITE that Saturday. What a waste of what would've been a 4th of July weekend. Scored something like an 18. Don't really remember. Maybe it was 18th percentile. Things worked out OK.

I have no idea why PGY1s even take the thing. I should've been mixing alcohol and fireworks that day, not wasting my time taking that test.

Reactions: 4 users
I am waiting for mine also. Last year we didn't pay on time. No idea whats going on this year

I walked into residency on July 1st, back when the ITE/board exam was the 1st weekend in July. I took my pre-CA-1 ITE that Saturday. What a waste of what would've been a 4th of July weekend. Scored something like an 18. Don't really remember. Maybe it was 18th percentile. Things worked out OK.

I have no idea why PGY1s even take the thing. I should've been mixing alcohol and fireworks that day, not wasting my time taking that test.

I totally was the first one to finish that test (took me about 30 mins since I wanted to at least read the Qs) as a PGY-1 (CA-0) and somehow came out with an 18. Pointless test for interns. I was more concerned with Step 3 studying and the exam a week later.