IV Certification -- Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kelp103

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I appreciate any help and please tell me if I am completely off base.

I'm a current P1 and was trying to get IV certified to help me get a hospital job. I am in Texas, so I am just a technician right now (until the end of my P1 year when I can get my intern license).
My understanding is that the requirement for 'IV certification' for Texas comes from a law that pharmacists involved in sterile compounding must do 20 hours of CE (it doesn't specifically say CE, just "instruction and experience") in sterile compounding in "the type of compounding done by the pharmacist".

Now, the state law says that when I am an intern, I can do sterile compounding if I have the same training a pharmacist would require. The law exactly states that the 20 hours may be completed through:
"(-b-) completion of a recognized course in an accredited college of pharmacy OR a course sponsored by an ACPE accredited provider which provides 20 hours of instruction and experience" (emphasis added)
In my school, I will get at least 20 hours of hands on instruction on IVs. Is this a "recognized course"? Basically, would I be able to say I am IV certified after completing my labs?

I did ask my school, but I go to Creighton so they are not experts on Texas law obviously. I have contacted the SBOP, but they haven't responded yet, so I was just wondering if anyone here had a similar experience or knew.

Members don't see this ad.