Jan. 2014 Examiners Unite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misplacedshadow

Underclass Hero
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Anyone here postpone their exam to or are planning to take the exam on January 2014? It's the final year in the old format without the new psychology/biochemistry section.

My reason for postponing to January is because I got a bit too lazy in the studying process and will be starting a new job soon, so my September date is too soon for me to be ready to tackle the beast. So I postponed to January. Anyone else out there in a similar situation, any way if there is we have about 5 months of studying to do for this exam.

I plan on starting tonight. Let's try to inspire, motivate, offer a shoulder to cry on, and give advice to our fellow peers who have postponed their exam to Jan or will plan to register in Jan.

Please don't act negatively towards your fellow sdners, or kick them when they are down. I know this happens a lot here in these forums. Keep your bad comments to yourself because we are all friends here. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

I took it on 1/23 and just received an email about the trial section. It tells you the percent of questions you answered correctly and the percentile relative to people who had the same trial section as you.

I got 50% of the questions correct and was in the top quarter. That seems questionable to me because 50% is a low number, but then again, I had a tough biochem trial section. I didn't take a break between my actual test and the trial section because I just wanted it to be over.

I wonder if this will be indicative in any way of my performance on the actual test because I've seen older threads where people who had high trial section percentages also had high MCAT scores haha.

Last edited:
Does it just tell you what percentile you are on the trail section?
For my section (solely biochem) I got 66% correct, which was classified as within the top quartile... currently praying that this raw percentage is not indicative of my test performance T___T Kind of sad I didn't get the psych/socio trial section, because I was curious to see how it looked.

I have to keep reminding myself that there's nothing I can really do about the MCAT -- it's completely and totally out of my hands. My attitude about the test has been vacillating between "oh, you probably scored around your average" and "nope, you totally made a fool of yourself." Last night I had an extremely vivid dream in which I got an 8/5/13 on the exam. I really hope that this dream does not turn out to be prophetic (though a 13 in BS would be lovely).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I took it on 1/23 and just received an email about the trial section. It tells you the percent of questions you answered correctly and the percentile relative to people who had the same trial section as you.

I got 50% of the questions correct and was in the top quarter. That seems questionable to me because 50% is a low number, but then again, I had a tough biochem trial section. I didn't take a break between my actual test and the trial section because I just wanted it to be over.

I wonder if this will be indicative in any way of my performance on the actual test because I've seen older threads where people who had high trial section percentages also had high MCAT scores haha.

Don't stress out about it. People tend to post their scores only when they do well. Therefore, most of your sample of people who posted both their trial score and their real score will have done well on both...falsely showing a correlation. This correlation is especially BS because the trial section is very volatile and lots of people just didn't even try on it.

That being said, I got my $30 gift certificate and signed up for the Amazon e-mail subscription for a 20% off coupon. Ended up copping a nice olive raincoat for $30. Not too shabby.

I didn't get the email for the trial section (i just clicked through it, didn't really take it)--has this happened to anyone else?

My section was all Biochem as well. I literally guessed on all the questions and ended up with 22% correct, so I'm not sure it's about how much you got correct. I still had classes a few hours after my exam with a 2 hour drive in between so I spent probably about ~20 minutes on my trial section and just gave up.

What's everyone buying with their gift card?

I think I'll get some record sleeves and a carbon fiber brush for my LPs. I bought myself a turntable in celebration of finishing the MCAT, and it has turned into a quite expensive (but awesome) hobby.

i had biochem as well, i got 47% right, (this is apparently the top half) that 3% really made a difference... (top half vs top quarter)

Its going to be so great to finally get our MCAT scores. I'll finally have an idea of what sort of schools I can apply to..

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nervous. Been trying to avoid coming to SDN so I can keep my mind off things. Keep getting the feeling I did worse than my average, so I am telling myself that retaking wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Really hoping, praying, and dreaming I did something special on verbal because I think I'll need it. I had a vision of 11-15-11 the other day lol

Reactions: 2 users
The further we get away from the test, the less confident I am in my score. At this point, I have no idea how I did.

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone else feel like they scored like 3-4 points below their average? I sure do...although I can't afford to...

... I was not ready to see my score ahead of time. Look again; scores are released this Tuesday in five days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every day that passes I feel like I did worse and worse.

I got my trial section score, got a 44% but I literally stopped trying after about 5 minutes when I realized it was pointless since I had forgotten almost all my biochem so I guessed on nearly all the questions.

Trial scores up! I got a 66% (top quarter) but I remember thinking WTF when taking it. I had a lot of psych/socio stuff, not biochem which I like. Hopefully my real mcat score will be the same thing (doing ok when I thought it was bad).

59% on trial section; just spent 2 hours scheming about what to buy on amazon. got some good contenders.

53%. Gave about that percent of effort ;) Trying to take this waiting game day by day. I have a work meeting scheduled Tuesday evening and I'm worried I will be too upset to function.... Dumb question (I'm sure the answer is in the MCAT forum somewhere) but do we get an email from AAMC on the 25th about our scores being ready or do we just have to constantly check the website?

So if you don't put a "good faith effort" they don't send you an e-mail? I mean I never took psychology or sociology so pretty much everything on there was gibberish and I guessed on most the questions...

So if you don't put a "good faith effort" they don't send you an e-mail? I mean I never took psychology or sociology so pretty much everything on there was gibberish and I guessed on most the questions...

I had this same question too...maybe they send out the gift cards in batches? Different time zones?

I did 10 questions and then submitted it (felt brain dead) so I understandably never received an email. I imagine they use some algorithm to define if you gave a "good faith" effort or not