Jan. 2014 Examiners Unite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misplacedshadow

Underclass Hero
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Anyone here postpone their exam to or are planning to take the exam on January 2014? It's the final year in the old format without the new psychology/biochemistry section.

My reason for postponing to January is because I got a bit too lazy in the studying process and will be starting a new job soon, so my September date is too soon for me to be ready to tackle the beast. So I postponed to January. Anyone else out there in a similar situation, any way if there is we have about 5 months of studying to do for this exam.

I plan on starting tonight. Let's try to inspire, motivate, offer a shoulder to cry on, and give advice to our fellow peers who have postponed their exam to Jan or will plan to register in Jan.

Please don't act negatively towards your fellow sdners, or kick them when they are down. I know this happens a lot here in these forums. Keep your bad comments to yourself because we are all friends here. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Test Date: 1/25
Post-Test Expected Score: 32-34
Actual Score: 35 (PS/VR/BS) 10-12-13
Comments: I did better than I thought. I felt PS was more difficult on the real thing but ended up scoring around my average. Relieved. Glad it's over. Congrats to all.

Reactions: 3 users
1/23 - 35

12/11/12

Exact average of my last 3 AAMCs!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Post-Test Expected Score: 28-33 AAMC Avg last 3 was 31 and Kaplan Diagnostic was 26
Actual Score: 33 (PS 11, VR 11, BS 11)
Comments: Feels great to be done, I will admit it, this can be stressful, but it too will pass

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Test Date: 1/23
Post-Test Expected Score: 25-30
Actual Score: 28
Comments: I am completely content with my score and will not be taking the exam again!

Post-Test Expected Score: My average score for the AAMC FLs was around a 36-37 but I felt like I did worse on the actual test. I think I was expecting around a 34 at the worst.
Actual Score: 37: 10V, 13B, 14P
Comments: I felt like the exam was definitely harder than the AAMC FLs and was expecting to have done worse than my average. I'm so relieved that I scored a 37 though and I'm very content with my score :)

I hope everyone else did well and is happy with their scores!

Post-Test Expected Score: My average score for the AAMC FLs was around a 36-37 but I felt like I did worse on the actual test. I think I was expecting around a 34 at the worst.
Actual Score: 37: 10V, 13B, 14P
Comments: I felt like the exam was definitely harder than the AAMC FLs and was expecting to have done worse than my average. I'm so relieved that I scored a 37 though and I'm very content with my score :)

I hope everyone else did well and is happy with their scores!
Nicely done. Congrats

Post-Test Expected Score: 28-30
Actual Score: 29 (9/11/9)
Comments: I'm on the fence. my avg of AAMCs was like a 27 or 28 and I never scored that high in verbal before. I thought I got like a 6 on the phys sci and a 12 in bio and maybe a 9 in verbal. IDK if I should retake or I could actually get into a decent US med school (MD). I'm already signed up for march to take it in hawaii. My gpa is a 3.62 and I have good e.c.s. I wanted a 30 though, still I thought I was gonna get a 28.

Reactions: 1 user
Post-Test Expected Score: 29-35
Actual Score: 33 (12/11/10)
Comments: Walked out of the test knowing that Bio was the hardest section for me. But, cant say I'm surprised with my score. Was really hoping for a 35, but at least I'm done forever. Congratulations to all!

Post-Test Expected Score: 28-38 ( I got a 39 on AAMC 11, 38 on AAMC 9, and 33 on AAMC 8)
Actual Score: 33 (PS 13/V 8/B 12)
Comments: I had a series of unfortunate things happen test day. I slept about 4 hours and my ride broke down- showed up 15 minutes late. So although I KNOW I could've done better and my verbal is bothering me, I'm not too bummed with my score.

Post-Test Expected Score: My AAMC average was a 39, but I got all 40+s after #4. I honestly expected about a 38 after the test. I accidentally didn't answer 3 questions in PS and didn't realize until there were 20 seconds left in the section, so I had to answer them randomly. That was probably a 1 or even 2 point difference in that section.
Actual Score: 38 (13/12/13)
Comments: It's done. I didn't do as well as I'd hoped, but I still did more than well enough and got a totally balanced score (as a math major, this was a goal of mine). I'll be above average at every school I apply to. Beyond that, I think the rest of my application will speak for itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Post-Test Expected Score: anywhere from 32-36
Actual Score: 33 12VR / 10 PS / 11 BS
Comments: Happy I still scored around my average. Felt like I could have done better but overall I think I was lucky to get a 10 in PS. My BS was lower than expected but I was burnt out by the end. Pleased overall.
Gongratss!!! Do you mind me asking what percentile is a 33?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have never felt so empty in my life lol. 1 point away from a dream score for me. 34 was the cutoff i gave myself for retake and I got exactly that...sigh. not angry, not happy. just weird to see that this beast is finally in the rearview mirror....

AAMC Average: 29-30, range 26-31
Post-Test Expected Score: ran out of time on physical sciences, which made me too nervous to make a reasonable prediction.
Actual Score: 29 (8 P, 11 V, 10 B)
Comments: Trust your AAMC average! I ran out of time on physical sciences and was terrified that I'd dug myself in a hole on this retake (initial score last year was 25-- 6 P, 9 V, 10 B) but my 29 fell into my AAMC range of 26-31-- which I took too closely together and too close to my real exam, but still predictive. If I would have trusted the "you'll probably get around your AAMC average" advice, I would have had a much less stressful February. I'm still on the low end for MD but I'm much more competitive for DO, so I'm satisfied.

Edit: added detail

Last edited:
Post-Test Expected Score: 32 - 36 (Practice Test scores averaged 33-35)
Actual Score: 38 (11VR / 12 PS / 15 BS)
Comments: Really happy with by BS score. Was hoping to scrape into a 12 in all 3 categories, but pretty happy overall. Taking my time and checking on the actual test helped a lot, because I caught a few mistakes in VR and BS which probably made a difference.

Ooooh la la, there are some super-gorgeous scores in this tread. Congratulations to all of you, even if your score isn't what you were looking for. Regroup your efforts, settle your mind, and plunge onward.

I totally thought I was going to have to be in the retake boat.... enough to register for a retake in Hawaii... but it appears that the sacrificial offerings I made to the great MCAT gods managed to appease them. (If you were wondering what the sacrifice was, I burnt my dog-eared Kaplan practice books in the middle of the street and danced around them in my pyjamas).

Test Date: January 23rd
AAMC average scores: 12/12/14 (38); scores ranged from 35 to 41. For reference, I used the Kaplan online resource package and had a diagnostic score of 31.
Post-Test Expected Score: Anywhere from a 27 to a 35. I had really dun goof'd on the PS. Total deer-in-the-headlights syndrome when I started the test.
Actual Score: 12/12/15 (39) ~pterodactyl-like screech~
Comments: I am beyond elated but the emotional roller coaster this beast puts you through... ugh... no words. By the way, I was very close to voiding my exam since I could recall ~5 PS questions I had missed for certain. The rest of the test is a blur. I think my brain was trying to do me a favor by blotting out the VR/BS sections from my memory. Honestly, while my exam didn't feel like the practice AAMCs I had taken, my average is more or less the same. I don't know how the AAMC did this. Witchcraft?

As I posted in the other thread, anybody who needs my seat for 3/22 in San Francisco, PM me, so one of you gets it when I drop.

CONGRATS EVERYONE!!!

I'm so heartbroken. I had been averaging 28-29 on my practice tests. Made a 26 on my MCAT :(. My PS score killed the whole test for me. I'm so upset I have to retake it. I don't know that I can do better.

Congrats to all you guys who are happy with their scores though!

I'm so heartbroken. I had been averaging 28-29 on my practice tests. Made a 26 on my MCAT :(. My PS score killed the whole test for me. I'm so upset I have to retake it. I don't know that I can do better.

Congrats to all you guys who are happy with their scores though!
If you don't mind me asking, what was your breakdown? And how did you feel after the test?

If you don't mind me asking, what was your breakdown? And how did you feel after the test?

My breakdown was a 10 on VR, a 9 on BS and a 7 on PS.

On my practice tests, I had been averaging about a 11-10 on VR, 10 on BS and 8-9 on PS.

Post-Test Expected Score: 30-32
Actual Score: 31 10 VR / 10 PS / 11 BS
Comments: I felt like I failed the PS, but felt good about BS. I got 11s on verbal on all AAMCs (this was my only consistent section), and I think I was so upset about PS that it affected my verbal score. My PS and BS were all over the board. I got a 36 on AAMC 10, but a 31 on AAMC 11. My AAMC average was a 32.5. I'm considering a retake in late April....not sure if that's enough time to prepare

I'll make you all feel better. First try I scored a 22 (7PS 7VR 8BS)
Second attempt on 23rd jan 14 I Scored a 19. 8 PS, 8VR, 3BS... yes. 3. I have to assume it was a mistake, I've never seen a score that low before. Looks like I either let the test dominate me and choose another career, retake the MCAT for a third time, or apply for a post baccprogram. I think I win on the "my situation sucks right now" scale.

Post-Test Expected Score: 29-32, was preparing to get a 30 which was my cutoff for not retaking
Actual Score: 34!!! VR 11/PS 11/ BS 12
Comments: STOKED! Felt total clarity when I was taking the test, like when Peter Parker gets bit by that radioactive spider.
Celebrating/sulking with (because this should be a category): Wine and the bachelor

Reactions: 1 users
Test Date:01/25
Post-Test Expected Score: 34-37. This is actually my second time taking MCAT. My first MCAT was in last august and I got V7/P14/B12-total 33. hope to retake to get a higher verbal score.
Actual Score: V8/P14/B13-total 35.
Comments: not much improvement on verbal although I did a lot of practice during the winter break... but anyways, 8 is better than 7 and I'm definitely not taking MCAT anymore!!
Pretty Happy with the science section! .

Post-Test Expected Score: 34 - 38, I felt comfortable with the exam overall, but I have had practice exams where I felt the same and didnt score as well. Thought I could possibly get on the upper end of my prediction since I felt that verbal (usually my weakest section) wasn't bad.
Practice Test Scores: 27 (Kaplan), 34 (K), 34 (AAMC), 35 (A), 37 (K), 33 (A), 33 (A), 35 (A), 38 (K), 36 (K), 36 (A11), 35 (A10).
Average of last 8: 35.4
Average of last 4: 36.25
Actual Score: 35 - P 11 / V 11 / B 13
Comments: I almost shat my pants when I saw that I got an 11 on Physical sciences, but was immediately relieved seeing that I didn't really mess up the other sections. Still, this really caught me by surprise since since Physical Sciences was my strong point. After my first practice test, I had NEVER scored an 11 or lower and was averaging ~13.
Although I'm still very bitter about my physical sciences, I had told myself that I'd be content with anything 35+ before taking the real thing. In the end, I can't really complain about a score like that and will instead try to appreciate the fact that I scored well enough to not have to worry about this exam ever again.

Last edited:
Test Date:01/25
Post-Test Expected Score: 34-37. This is actually my second time taking MCAT. My first MCAT was in last august and I got V7/P14/B12-total 33. hope to retake to get a higher verbal score.
Actual Score: V8/P14/B13-total 35.
Comments: not much improvement on verbal although I did a lot of practice during the winter break... but anyways, 8 is better than 7 and I'm definitely not taking MCAT anymore!!
Pretty Happy with the science section! .

I got the same verbal score as you (12/8/12). I was wondering how much does <10 verbal score affect the application. Im hesitating to retake.

Long time lurker on this thread. Congratulations to everyone for finishing at least this race!

Test Date:
1/23
Post-Test Expected Score: 34ish. Average on practice tests was 35, but felt a little less confident on the real thing. Never scored above 36.
Actual Score: 12/12/14 => 38!!
Comments: Still in disbelief.
Celebrating/sulking with (because this should be a category): My man is on the other coast, so I guess I'll pop on over to the Nuthouse down the street for their $3 frozen margaritas. I've also netflixed all of House of Cards last night so I'm a bit short on TV material. But who cares!!

I took the test last year and score v7, p10, b11 (28Q) so I def needed to retake. When I took this test I was praying for an 8 on verbal so I kept studying after the test and have been studying strong for the past month with my eyes on March 22nd. My question is: should I retake?

Test Date:
1/23
Post-Test Expected Score: Less than a 30. But this is right around my Berkeley review average. My AAMCs were inflated because I had taken them all twice before and def recognized at least half of the passages.
Actual Score: V11, P10, B12 (33)
Comments: I sat on the toilet afterwards and sulked. Figured out how to do a physics question in my head all of a sudden and realized I guessed it wrong after guessing it right before changing it! I felt like I could have gotten an 11 on physical sciences and I would have been very happy. Verbal blew me out of the damn water after scoring a 7 last time. I had 4 minutes left for the final passage fml.

Should I continue studying and retake? On March 22? I still have Berkeley review and Kaplan practice tests.

I got the same verbal score as you (12/8/12). I was wondering how much does <10 verbal score affect the application. Im hesitating to retake.

Just read it In another thread saying generally verbal with 8+ won't hurt your application.

Post-Test Expected Score: 32
Actual Score: 11/12/11 => 34
Comments: I wanted the treasured 35 but alas, it was not meant to be. I feel like I worked my ass off for what I got though and I'm proud of that.
Celebrating/sulking with (because this should be a category): The only 40 I need in my life...
oe_800_40oz__large.jpg

I took the test last year and score v7, p10, b11 (28Q) so I def needed to retake. When I took this test I was praying for an 8 on verbal so I kept studying after the test and have been studying strong for the past month with my eyes on March 22nd. My question is: should I retake?
Test Date:
1/23
Post-Test Expected Score: Less than a 30. But this is right around my Berkeley review average. My AAMCs were inflated because I had taken them all twice before and def recognized at least half of the passages.
Actual Score: V11, P10, B12 (33)
Comments: I sat on the toilet afterwards and sulked. Figured out how to do a physics question in my head all of a sudden and realized I guessed it wrong after guessing it right before changing it! I felt like I could have gotten an 11 on physical sciences and I would have been very happy. Verbal blew me out of the damn water after scoring a 7 last time. I had 4 minutes left for the final passage fml.

Should I continue studying and retake? On March 22? I still have Berkeley review and Kaplan practice tests.

I think your scores are well-balanced. If you think 33 is a true reflection of your ability, don't bother taking it again.

Post-Test Expected Score: I was averaging 11 on PS, 11 on VR, and 11 on BS for my AAMCs.
Actual Score: 10PS/9VR/12BS
Comments: To be honest, I'm really upset with my score. I was getting 12s on the last few AAMCs for BS so I expected that and I don't know what happened for VR. I'm highly considering a retake but I don't know how big of a difference a 31 vs. 33/34 will make for me in the long run. Also, no guarantees that I'd actually perform better (and putting in the studying again will definitely suck!). I'm just feeling a little down and confused right now on what to do so I'll probably take a few days to digest it and decide what to do.

Post-Test Expected Score: I was averaging 11 on PS, 11 on VR, and 11 on BS for my AAMCs.
Actual Score: 10PS/9VR/12BS
Comments: To be honest, I'm really upset with my score. I was getting 12s on the last few AAMCs for BS so I expected that and I don't know what happened for VR. I'm highly considering a retake but I don't know how big of a difference a 31 vs. 33/34 will make for me in the long run. Also, no guarantees that I'd actually perform better (and putting in the studying again will definitely suck!). I'm just feeling a little down and confused right now on what to do so I'll probably take a few days to digest it and decide what to do.

I got the exact same score + breakdown as you. I was averaging ~32-33 on my practice tests as well, but I am very happy with my score. After the exam, I felt like I might have not even broken 30.

Post-Test Expected Score: lower than a 32 lol
Actual Score: 11/10/14 (35)
Comments:I got ~1-2 above my average so I'm actually really stoked on that, I thought I did really well in verbal but I also changed like 5 of my answers the last 2 minutes so it could've been higher/lower lol

Honestly thought I was gonna get a lower score but I'm happy I hit the benchmark. I would've wanted a 37 though ahhaha
My AAMC averages were around 33-34 but I also did some Kaplan exams too. I also got a look at the TBR tests post-MCAT and I would recommend those too. Pretty bumped out on PS, because that's the oner I studied most for, and was said to be the easiest o raise up, but still couldn't get up to the 12-13 range lol. Ahhh now time to start on my SMP apps.

Reactions: 6 users
Post-Test Expected Score: lower than a 32 lol
Actual Score: 11/10/14 (35)
Comments:I got ~1-2 above my average so I'm actually really stoked on that, I thought I did really well in verbal but I also changed like 5 of my answers the last 2 minutes so it could've been higher/lower lol

Honestly thought I was gonna get a lower score but I'm happy I hit the benchmark. I would've wanted a 37 though ahhaha
My AAMC averages were around 33-34 but I also did some Kaplan exams too. I also got a look at the TBR tests post-MCAT and I would recommend those too. Pretty bumped out on PS, because that's the oner I studied most for, and was said to be the easiest o raise up, but still couldn't get up to the 12-13 range lol. Ahhh now time to start on my SMP apps.
My man!! Was rooting for you. We made it brah lol

Damn I happy it was over lol, I recall I only scored above a 35 once or twice in the AAMC lol cause I started out with lower AAMC scores. I thought 37 was reachable if I did better prep for PS and not mess up VR which I think I did due to overthinking some questions. One thing for certain is that I'm not retaking it lol

After sulking for 3 hours i'm now at peace with my score... 34 aint thaaaaat bad.
uhh.... unless I'm missing something, a 34 is a really good score. In fact, I would dance on top of tables if I got a 34. Really, don't sulk, it just makes us who are actually not doing as well on practice or who may not have the courage to post have less courage to post.

uhh.... unless I'm missing something, a 34 is a really good score. In fact, I would dance on top of tables if I got a 34. Really, don't sulk, it just makes us who are actually not doing as well on practice or who may not have the courage to post have less courage to post.
Sorry... Not my intention at all

Ooooh la la, there are some super-gorgeous scores in this tread. Congratulations to all of you, even if your score isn't what you were looking for. Regroup your efforts, settle your mind, and plunge onward.

I totally thought I was going to have to be in the retake boat.... enough to register for a retake in Hawaii... but it appears that the sacrificial offerings I made to the great MCAT gods managed to appease them. (If you were wondering what the sacrifice was, I burnt my dog-eared Kaplan practice books in the middle of the street and danced around them in my pyjamas).

Test Date: January 23rd
AAMC average scores: 12/12/14 (38); scores ranged from 35 to 41. For reference, I used the Kaplan online resource package and had a diagnostic score of 31.
Post-Test Expected Score: Anywhere from a 27 to a 35. I had really dun goof'd on the PS. Total deer-in-the-headlights syndrome when I started the test.
Actual Score: 12/12/15 (39) ~pterodactyl-like screech~
Comments: I am beyond elated but the emotional roller coaster this beast puts you through... ugh... no words. By the way, I was very close to voiding my exam since I could recall ~5 PS questions I had missed for certain. The rest of the test is a blur. I think my brain was trying to do me a favor by blotting out the VR/BS sections from my memory. Honestly, while my exam didn't feel like the practice AAMCs I had taken, my average is more or less the same. I don't know how the AAMC did this. Witchcraft?

Pterodactyl lol!!! The best. Also, congrats on an amazing score.

AAMC average scores: Ranged from 30-35, but average was 31.6 with AAMC 10 and 11 being 31 and 30, respectively
Post-Test Expected Score: Maybe 30-32 if I was lucky. I was especially worried about verbal because my VR score ranged 7-11 on AAMC practice tests and I had 4 minutes left to do the last passage!
Actual Score: 12/10/14 = 36
Comments: I only scored a 35 once on AAMC 9 so I wasn't expecting a 36 at all. I had to triple check to make sure I read it correctly haha. I definitely struggled while I was studying because my practice test scores were inconsistent. I kept pushing through though. I was seated near the door during my exam and thought the distractions from the door opening/closing would make me perform worse. After I took the exam, I was hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. I read inspirational posts from previous test takers who had low AAMC practice test scores and scored above their average to keep me motivated until test day. I'm so glad I don't have to retake.

Congrats on the other fantastic scores in this thread!!! Good luck to those who are applying this upcoming cycle :)

Last edited: