Janurary 23 MCAT, haven't started studying!!! Too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KardashianMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I've signed up for the January 23, 2015 MCAT and I haven't started studying at ALL. I have all of my SN2 and KAPLAN materials ready to go but I just feel like its coming down to the wire. What do you guys think? Should I just start studying hard now or just wait for the new exam? What would you do in my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I signed up for Jan 13th and I am going to start in early Dec.

you are fine my friend.

well this will be my 4th time doe.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking mine on 1/13 and was banking on rescheduling to the 23rd but I guess thats not happening

If you've taken all the necessary classes and were pretty comfortable with the material I'm sure you'll be fine.

I have taken all of the previous classes before but my confidence on a scale of 1-10 on OChem is a 1 and on Physics its a 5. I mostly just crammed for these classes around test time so I don't remember most of the material. Other than these two major subjects I'm okay with the rest of the material. This is why I'm hesitant on taking the MCAT then again I always do shine my best when it comes to cramming.

I have taken all of the previous classes before but my confidence on a scale of 1-10 on OChem is a 1 and on Physics its a 5. I mostly just crammed for these classes around test time so I don't remember most of the material. Other than these two major subjects I'm okay with the rest of the material. This is why I'm hesitant on taking the MCAT then again I always do shine my best when it comes to cramming.
Apparently Ochem is tested pretty lightly and Berkeley Review physics is great. You'll probably remember more that you expect once you start looking at the material. Plus, a little pressure can definitely help and you're really not that behind – we're still 2.5 months out (I'm taking it on the 23rd too). I know people who have only studied 2 months or even six weeks and been fine.

Apparently Ochem is tested pretty lightly and Berkeley Review physics is great. You'll probably remember more that you expect once you start looking at the material. Plus, a little pressure can definitely help and you're really not that behind – we're still 2.5 months out (I'm taking it on the 23rd too). I know people who have only studied 2 months or even six weeks and been fine.

Just what I wanted to hear thanks! I shall start voiding my self of all personal and social life tomorrow :barf:

Reactions: 1 user

"ochem is tested pretty lightly" - false. It varies from test to test.

Honestly, I think it matters more about how many hours you'll have to study than how many weeks.

I really only just started studying hardcore for the test. That being said, I'm planning on putting upwards of 400-500 hours in before then.

Are you the type of person who can do 10 hour study sessions? How comfortable do you feel with the material already? It's all dependent.

Honestly, I think it matters more about how many hours you'll have to study than how many weeks.

I really only just started studying hardcore for the test. That being said, I'm planning on putting upwards of 400-500 hours in before then.

Are you the type of person who can do 10 hour study sessions? How comfortable do you feel with the material already? It's all dependent.

Yes, I can do long study sessions, the trick I usually do is leave my phone in the car and head to a quiet place like the library. Honestly I feel okay with the material but I've learned over time to never get "comfortable" because that'll be my downfall so for me its better to panic about every single little subject/topic. I was hoping to of started yesterday but I have two midterms and a huge paper due by the Wednesday so I'm hoping to al lteast take a diagnostic and a few chapters of Ochem and physics by then.

You can do it.

I know it seems overwhelming, but you have all of winter break, presumably, as well.

Look at the sticky thread "30+ MCAT Scorers..."
When I was panicking about the lack of time, it calmed me down. Many successful testers don't REALLY start studying until 2 - 3 months out. Sometimes the pressure is useful. Good luck!

I agree with everyone else. You can totally do this. And you should totally check out the "30+ MCAT" thread. there's a lot of good information there. I also think you should take a practice test if you can. I think taking a practice test will give you a sense of the test, and where you are in terms of applying the material to this test and can direct your studying. I wish you all the luck with studying and on your midterms and paper!

Reactions: 1 user