Jefferson Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RTB1988

Philly Fan For Life
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post here if you have been accepted to and plan to attend Jefferson next Fall.

And congratulations to you all! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

See you in the fall! Any advise on finding affordable housing?

See you in the fall! Any advise on finding affordable housing?

From what ive seen so far, on-campus housing seems to be equal to or cheaper than the surrounding area. Not to mention very convenient.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what ive seen so far, on-campus housing seems to be equal to or cheaper than the surrounding area. Not to mention very convenient.

so hey, I'm a Jeff 4th year here. (feel free to PM me with any questions... or just ask them on the thread).

As for housing, yeah it's really convenient, but it's not really a great deal compared to the surrounding neighborhood. The only way that you save money is if you're in a 3 bedroom or studio (and those usually get snatched up before the first year class reserves their housing... so don't expect to get one). The general consensus is that Barringer or Orlo are fine for the first year, especially if you're not from philly and would otherwise need to make an extra trip to pick out an apartment, but you should move out as soon as you can.

I was accepted in October. A lot of people from Delaware attend Jefferson, so I was wondering if any of y'all are also from the state (like me).

I'm a 1st year at Jeff, so I can try to answer any questions you guys might have, but WingedOx will definitely be more knowledgeable. =]

Regarding housing, you can definitely find something cheaper off-campus. I believe Orlowitz 1-bedroom is around $1000/month. The only way you're going to pay less than that per month is if you have roommates or find something off-campus. For instance, my apartment is a little bigger than Orlowitz 1-bedroom, and I pay only $850/month. It just takes a lot of looking around especially if you are not from the area, like I was. For a lot of people, it's a lot more convenient to live in on-campus housing the first year and search for off-campus housing when they know the area better.

I'm from Delaware and am attending Jeff next year! I have friends there now who all say that it's cheaper to live off campus. I need to find an apartment cause I have a puppy but I'm not sure how to find a roommate. Second look maybe?

Hey everyone! Congrats on being accepted! I'm looking forward to seeing you at Second Look Weekend! In the meantime, I am looking for information and opinions from anyone (current students or prospective students) regarding why they chose (or think they will choose) Jeff, how you decided (or may decide) to attend Jeff over another school, etc. Right now I am torn between Jeff, a school with a bigger name (I am currently trying to figure out if that matters as far as giving one a little "leg up" in the residency match) but that features some things in its curriculum that I am not crazy about and my state school (which is in a less than ideal location, but is for sure the most responsible choice, financially speaking).

Can anyone weigh in their thoughts/ opinions? I'm really interested to hear what other people think and how they are possibly handling multiple school offers.

Looking forward to hearing from you! Thanks :)

I'm from Delaware and am attending Jeff next year! I have friends there now who all say that it's cheaper to live off campus. I need to find an apartment cause I have a puppy but I'm not sure how to find a roommate. Second look maybe?

I think a lot of people also found roommates through Facebook last year. Not sure if there is one for the class of 2015. But yeah, tons of people posted roommates-wanted ads on there.

Do any current students know which smart phone is preferred or better to use at Jefferson? I've read that each university has a different preference.

Do any current students know which smart phone is preferred or better to use at Jefferson? I've read that each university has a different preference.

Palm phones will allow you to use the PELS tracking software during your 3rd year, but Palm phones suck. Much to the dismay of some of the more out of touch administrators at Jeff, no one really uses PDAs for patient logs anymore, so just get whatever phone is trendy.

I think a lot of people also found roommates through Facebook last year. Not sure if there is one for the class of 2015. But yeah, tons of people posted roommates-wanted ads on there.

Oh ok, thanks. Someone should start the group if there isn't one already..!

that background check thing was a bit odd. And yes someone should make a fb group.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just made a facebook group-Jefferson Medical College Class of 2015

so hey, I'm a Jeff 4th year here. (feel free to PM me with any questions... or just ask them on the thread).

As for housing, yeah it's really convenient, but it's not really a great deal compared to the surrounding neighborhood. The only way that you save money is if you're in a 3 bedroom or studio (and those usually get snatched up before the first year class reserves their housing... so don't expect to get one). The general consensus is that Barringer or Orlo are fine for the first year, especially if you're not from philly and would otherwise need to make an extra trip to pick out an apartment, but you should move out as soon as you can.

Jeff 3rd year here as well. On-campus housing is very convenient for literally crossing the street to get to 1st and 2nd year lectures. Living on-campus for your 3rd and 4th year is less beneficial since you will be spending more time at the hospital or nearby affiliates.

I second the popularity and shortage of 3-bedroom apartments. You will not get a 3-bedroom during your first year, but will have a better shot during your 2nd year. On a side note, a good number of 3-bedrooms in Barringer should be freed up by your 2nd year (a majority of them are currently held by us 3rd years).

On-campus housing does have its shortcomings, such as the occasional broken elevator, pests, and proximity to Marathon Bar/Grill (worst during karaoke nights). Campus Internet is usually shoddy, so I recommend getting your own Internet and splitting it with roommates. Unfortunately, pets are forbidden here as well.

As for on-campus options, I would vouch for Barringer over Orlowitz. Martin does not even compare to either of them. Barringer is a little bit pricier, but you get a bit more space for it. Martin is more dorm-style rooms, lack a personal kitchen, etc.

If you have any questions, PM me or just add to the thread. Congrats on joining JMC.

Jeff 3rd year here as well. On-campus housing is very convenient for literally crossing the street to get to 1st and 2nd year lectures. Living on-campus for your 3rd and 4th year is less beneficial since you will be spending more time at the hospital or nearby affiliates.

I second the popularity and shortage of 3-bedroom apartments. You will not get a 3-bedroom during your first year, but will have a better shot during your 2nd year. On a side note, a good number of 3-bedrooms in Barringer should be freed up by your 2nd year (a majority of them are currently held by us 3rd years).

On-campus housing does have its shortcomings, such as the occasional broken elevator, pests, and proximity to Marathon Bar/Grill (worst during karaoke nights). Campus Internet is usually shoddy, so I recommend getting your own Internet and splitting it with roommates. Unfortunately, pets are forbidden here as well.

As for on-campus options, I would vouch for Barringer over Orlowitz. Martin does not even compare to either of them. Barringer is a little bit pricier, but you get a bit more space for it. Martin is more dorm-style rooms, lack a personal kitchen, etc.

If you have any questions, PM me or just add to the thread. Congrats on joining JMC.

on the plus side, I heard the Orlo gym re-opened after being closed for TWO YEARS because of water damage.

on the plus side, I heard the Orlo gym re-opened after being closed for TWO YEARS because of water damage.

Good times, right?

At least they won't be tearing up that orlowitz entrance for a while... Right?

Good times, right?

At least they won't be tearing up that orlowitz entrance for a while... Right?

I've never been sure if who was at fault for all that. Jeff owns the building but Phila Management runs and maintains it. I get a feeling the place went unfixed for months because the two organizations went back and forth saying "not my problem."

How would you rate your clinicals at Jeff? Is it possible to do them without needing a car?

What do you guys think about the overall quality of clinicals and how you think they prepare you?

How would you rate your clinicals at Jeff? Is it possible to do them without needing a car?

What do you guys think about the overall quality of clinicals and how you think they prepare you?

variable by location. basically anything done at Jefferson except inpatient peds (which only 2 people have per block) you're going to have really long hours, but the teaching is usually solid and the number of malignant people you encounter is usually fairly minimal. The other affiliate sites are a mixed bag. For example Lankenau, out in the suburbs, is a great place to do medicine, but HORRIBLE for ObGyn and Surgery. Also, for something like ObGyn, you can go to a place like Reading where you only work 4 days a week and the atmosphere is incredibly relaxed, or Jefferson where the hours are longer than surgery, or Einstein, which is somewhere in between.

You really don't need a car in the first two years, but I've found one helpful in the clinical years. Plenty of people can bum rides out to distant clinical sites if you don't have a car, but there are a few to avoid in this case (Lankenau, Virtua). 2 of the major affiliates, Einstein, and Methodist are right on the subway and easy to get to. Most people without cars stick to those two or Jefferson for rotations. The only time where people can have problems is during Peds where just about everyone is sent to Wilmington for two weeks.

As far as the preparedness? get back to me in a year when I'm in the middle of my internship. I find it amazing how much I know by now, and yet how much I still need to learn to survive as an intern. I think that's a natural feeling though. Having an MD is a lot like having a black belt in Tae Kwan Do. You're not an expert or a master by any stretch of the imagination, but you have proven that you've learned the basics.

Thanks. If you want to do your rotations all at Jeff (except that Peds one), how likely is it that you will get your choice?

Also, what about housing at the other locations, is it provided?

Thanks. If you want to do your rotations all at Jeff (except that Peds one), how likely is it that you will get your choice?

Also, what about housing at the other locations, is it provided?

Not sure about just Jeff, but if you limit yourself to just the 3 sites on the subway, you're pretty much sure to get what you want.

Housing there for the places that are >1hr away (not counting the traffic). Reading, York, Christiana inpatient, and Latrobe all house you. Anywhere else is within driving distance. Locations tend to come and go too. Reading is fairly new, and we recently left sites in Pittsburgh and Danville.

/Reading and York have free food too.

As far as the preparedness? get back to me in a year when I'm in the middle of my internship.

As a Jefferson alum, I felt really prepared to be an intern. I felt like they kicked our butts during rotations (telling us that we had to be there before the residents, making us pre-round, making us write notes, sending us to do a bazillion H&Ps on medicine, etc.), but it paid off when I was an intern. There's still a learning curve (there's always going to be a learning curve), but the workflow was familiar and I slipped back into it easily.

Thank you guys - your responses are incredibly helpful. It's hard to gather information on the clinical years (most stuff is on the pre-clinical years where it's difficult to distinguish schools). I'm trying to narrow down my schools from my acceptances, and I'm looking for these differences :).

Just a couple more: I want a career in academic medicine, not as a researcher purely, but more in a job that involves teaching, etc. Many people have told me to go to a 'research powerhouse' if I want to do that, but I'm not really planning on applkying for R01 grants all the time or anything, but I do want to stay within academia (and primairly teaching oriented places) - do you think Jefferson prepares you well for that?

Also, what do you guys think about your preperation and performance on the Step I's?

And finally, I know the first two years are H/P/F, but the last two years are different? I know some schools do keep a 'secret' ranking even within H/P/F...do you know if that's true (e.g, two students with all passes, but one student is ranked ahead at the end of the second year?)

Last edited:
Just a couple more: I want a career in academic medicine, not as a researcher purely, but more in a job that involves teaching, etc. Many people have told me to go to a 'research powerhouse' if I want to do that, but I'm not really planning on applkying for R01 grants all the time or anything, but I do want to stay within academia (and primairly teaching oriented places) - do you think Jefferson prepares you well for that?

Jefferson is a very clinically oriented school. This doesn't mean that they don't produce good teachers, though - since they are so clinically oriented, they also focus on the clinical education of med students. So, if you're big into teaching medical students, then Jefferson will prepare you for that just fine. If you want to be a big time researcher, though, you should probably go elsewhere.

Also, what do you guys think about your preperation and performance on the Step I's?

I thought it was fine. There was plenty of time, extra review sessions, etc.

And finally, I know the first two years are H/P/F, but the last two years are different? I know some schools do keep a 'secret' ranking even within H/P/F...do you know if that's true (e.g, two students with all passes, but one student is ranked ahead at the end of the second year?)

I have no idea if there is a secret ranking. The ranking process was a bit of a mystery to me, anyway.

Yes, in the clinical years, the grading changes. It then becomes Fail/Marginal Pass/Pass/High Pass/Honors.

Jefferson is a very clinically oriented school. This doesn't mean that they don't produce good teachers, though - since they are so clinically oriented, they also focus on the clinical education of med students. So, if you're big into teaching medical students, then Jefferson will prepare you for that just fine. If you want to be a big time researcher, though, you should probably go elsewhere.

I thought it was fine. There was plenty of time, extra review sessions, etc.

I have no idea if there is a secret ranking. The ranking process was a bit of a mystery to me, anyway.

Yes, in the clinical years, the grading changes. It then becomes Fail/Marginal Pass/Pass/High Pass/Honors.

I see - thanks. To expand on teaching, I'm more interested in clinical research rather than basic science - I know it's not a powerhouse - but considering that even teaching positions are many times expected to do some research - is it possible to do that here?

I've been reading about a CWiC program (college within a college) that seems to have this goal...do you know much about it?

Thank you guys - your responses are incredibly helpful. It's hard to gather information on the clinical years (most stuff is on the pre-clinical years where it's difficult to distinguish schools). I'm trying to narrow down my schools from my acceptances, and I'm looking for these differences :).

I really don't see a problem with this if you go to Jefferson. Plenty of people get involved in research here. Jeff really has an unimpressive amount of bench research (which is where a bulk of the $$$ for top 20 research schools goes into), but there is a LOT of clinical research that occurs here, especially in some of the more high profile programs (Ophtho, Ortho, Neuro/Neurosurg) Nearly every department has one or two really big research names.

I thought the preparation was excellent and I think my score showed that. As for performance... here's the thing: Jeff has had a wide bell curve the last few years. In my class we had no shortage of people cracking the 250s and above, but we also had a pretty high fail rate (I've heard varying numbers on this, but no less than 20 people failed). However, in my opinion, if anyone from Jeff failed, it was their own damn fault and not the school's.

ha! I wish there was a secret ranking. As someone who nearly always beat the class average yet came up just short of honoring, it pissed me off to no end that my grade counted EXACTLY the same as someone who scored a 69.5. I had asked if my percentages could be documented at all on my dean's letter, but the school keeps no records of the percent score you achieved once each class is over. You are still ranked, however based on the number of honors, excellents, etc you score in a system that's semi-transparent (I've yet to have anyone in the dean's office give me a straight answer on how it's calculated). As smq said, it's H/P/F in the first two years, then "High Honors/Excellent/Good/Marginal/Fail" in the clinical years, and the clinical grades count 2x in the 3rd year (4th year not calculated). In theory about 70% of the class is supposed to get a "good" and the top 30% Excellent and above, but in reality <20% of the class gets good or below in any given rotation (which creates a problem at some away sites which give out a lot of "good"s by default.)

Thank you again guys! We need to start a Q&A like this for every school - it's such a huge help.

So, where have people been finding their roommates mostly? Do most people live in the dorms first year?

Yes I think most people do. I actually live about 35 minutes from Jefferson but I might also stay in dorms...I dunno if that's wise but I'll move back home my second year if I think I can handle the commute.

A lot of people live in the residence halls because they moved from somewhere far away and weren't able to go apartment hunting in Philly. The residence halls are also very convenient since you're literally right across the street from the 1st year lecture hall. Besides the convenience factor, I don't think there are any other real perks.... I'd say that if you have time to go look at apartments, it might be worthwhile because you can definitely find something cheaper/better.

Hey everyone...just accepted 2 days ago and am really pumped! Definitely my top choice.

Anyways, my scenario is this. I am currently looking at an amazing apartment complex off-campus. By off-campus in this case I mean 34th and chestnut so I would have to take the subway to and from school each day. Is this feasible? Are there any current students here who have either lived in a similar situation or know anyone who does?

I understand that the major (and most likely only) draw to living on campus is the convenience factor. So basically all I need to know is that living this far off campus would not be too inconvenient. Thanks for any input!!

Hey everyone...just accepted 2 days ago and am really pumped! Definitely my top choice.

Anyways, my scenario is this. I am currently looking at an amazing apartment complex off-campus. By off-campus in this case I mean 34th and chestnut so I would have to take the subway to and from school each day. Is this feasible? Are there any current students here who have either lived in a similar situation or know anyone who does?

I understand that the major (and most likely only) draw to living on campus is the convenience factor. So basically all I need to know is that living this far off campus would not be too inconvenient. Thanks for any input!!

That area is a little too undergrad-filled for my taste, but I imagine commuting from there would be VERY easy. You'll be at school in 15 min. Our subway isn't the brightest or shiniest thing in the world, but it's functional and goes where it should.

34th and Chestnut? LOL, don't tell me you want an apartment at the overpriced domus crap? I pass by that everyday.

But yes, it'd be easy. You would just walk one block on the Drexel campus, hop on the el and be at Jefferson in 5 minutes (20-30 minutes average probably door-to-door, counting the wait time for the train depending on the time of day). It's only the fourth stop (30th->15th->13th->11th), and the stops come by like every 30 seconds. And you'd live in between the campuses of UPENN and Drexel, making it a very safe and collegish environment.

Hi all,

I was recently accepted and haven't received any information in the mail yet. Can someone let me know if there's an orientation date released yet? I seem to only be able to find last year's dates on the website. Also, when is second look and what's the schedule? I want to start making plans now and don't know how long it will take for them to send the info.

Thanks guys, I'm super excited about next year!

Hi all,

I was recently accepted and haven't received any information in the mail yet. Can someone let me know if there's an orientation date released yet? I seem to only be able to find last year's dates on the website. Also, when is second look and what's the schedule? I want to start making plans now and don't know how long it will take for them to send the info.

Thanks guys, I'm super excited about next year!

I'm not sure about the orientation dates, but this is the info for 2nd look weekend:

4/28/2011
Reception
5:00 - 7:00 PM
Jefferson Alumni Hall
1020 Locust Street, Cafeteria

4/29/2011
Information Day and Clinical Tours
8:30 AM - Buffet Breakfast
Bluemle Life Sciences Building

Hey guys, congrats to everyone heading to Jeff next year. I'm a fourth year year at Jefferson (for a few more weeks anyways) and am heading to Drexel for residency next year. Feel free to shoot my any questions or anything you may have, even if its about life in Philly.

And...since you are now accepted...I'm also looking to recruit male med students for a scientific project I'm involved in. The project pays extremely well (in the ball park of being able to pay your rent with beer money left over) and takes up only a half hour a week. Drop me a PM if you'd like to know more.

Best of luck next year, and enjoy your summer when you can! The next 3 years (only 3 cause 4th year is total cake) are going to be a beast (but totally amazing at the same time).

I'm not sure about the orientation dates, but this is the info for 2nd look weekend:

4/28/2011
Reception
5:00 - 7:00 PM
Jefferson Alumni Hall
1020 Locust Street, Cafeteria

4/29/2011
Information Day and Clinical Tours
8:30 AM - Buffet Breakfast
Bluemle Life Sciences Building

So what's the dress code for this?

I was recently accepted to Jefferson, so I'm trying to get caught up on housing, health forms, etc. How do I apply for on campus housing? Should I get an email or info in the mail? I have gotten emails about Fin Aid and IT services. I could use some advice. I'll probably also try calling housing too. I'm also willing to look for off campus housing if I can find some roommates and something cheap and close to Jeff. PM me if you are interested or in a similar situation. :)

Call them - normally they mail the forms to you but you might be able to find them online.

Here's the link for you to apply online if you haven't already!

http://www.jefferson.edu/housing/apply.cfm

If you haven't submitted yet, I recommend you do so immediately. They're currently processing applications that were submitted around February and March, and since the May 31st deadline has passed, you won't be guaranteed on-campus housing.

As for the health forms, they haven't been updated yet. You can find more information about all of this on the class facebook page.

Congrats on your acceptance!

Thanks shaggy and penndoc. I did apply yesterday, but I don't know if I'll get housing. Any advice to look for on campus housing and finding roommates? I have asked on the fb page - but not too many responses. Know of any great inexpensive places near Jeff?

Hi everyone, because my stafford loans won't cover all of the expected cost of attendance I applied for the rest in GradPLUS loans. I applied early May but haven't heard anything about it. With the Stafford loans I received an email from Jeff telling me to check my financial aid page, and the loan amounts showed up on my financial aid page. Will Jeff send me an email about how much I received for the GradPLUS loans or will it show up on my financial aid page or anything? Thanks!

Hi everyone, because my stafford loans won't cover all of the expected cost of attendance I applied for the rest in GradPLUS loans. I applied early May but haven't heard anything about it. With the Stafford loans I received an email from Jeff telling me to check my financial aid page, and the loan amounts showed up on my financial aid page. Will Jeff send me an email about how much I received for the GradPLUS loans or will it show up on my financial aid page or anything? Thanks!

Well, with GradPLUS loans, you just enter the amount you want to borrow. You should know immediately after you submit whether you're approved for that amount or if you need a co-signer. Then, you can sign the MPN immediately. I did my PLUS loan a few weeks ago, and mine's not listed on Banner yet, either. You could try giving them a call, though.

So I has a question for anybody who did or knows about the MD/MPH program...I know in some schools it is free, that is covered by medical school tuition, Is it the case at Jeff? Is there reduced tuition? Or is it the same as regular MPH students?
Also for the current students in the population health track of CWiC, how did you like it?

As a Jefferson alum, I felt really prepared to be an intern. I felt like they kicked our butts during rotations (telling us that we had to be there before the residents, making us pre-round, making us write notes, sending us to do a bazillion H&Ps on medicine, etc.), but it paid off when I was an intern. There's still a learning curve (there's always going to be a learning curve), but the workflow was familiar and I slipped back into it easily.

Definitely agree. Tough while you're in the moment, but that clinical basis really pays off.