Jobs for B.S in Biology? Backup for plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stevens_Solstice

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I'm planing on becoming an Internist, I'm apart of a program that covers for my tuition for College. Their requesting I have a backup plan If I don't make it in becoming an Internist. I'm not sure what jobs I can do with a B.S in Biology if there are any. Any suggestions is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Get a masters, teach, get your PhD and do the tenure track. That's mine at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not any good jobs imo, unless you want to go into sales or something. You can work with the DNR, but that isn't something I am interested in. I could see myself teaching ecology and doing some research at a small university, but other than being a doctor, I don't WANT to do anything else.

So there aren't any jobs for a B.S Biology Major?

You could be a high school biology teacher. That's what my 9th grade biology teacher has done and he got me hooked into medicine (well specifically cell biology and microbiology) when he talked about bacteriophages, Gram staining and all the cell organelles. We also had a mini-lab component where we learned how to use a microscope to visualize slides. Pretty great stuff and my initial anchor to medicine.

Reactions: 1 users
Not any good jobs imo, unless you want to go into sales or something. You can work with the DNR, but that isn't something I am interested in. I could see myself teaching ecology and doing some research at a small university, but other than being a doctor, I don't WANT to do anything else.
I see, but just something to have for them to put into record. I honestly don't know what I can do with just a B.S in biology. Anything related to medicine is ok with me.

Like lawper mentioned, you could teach. But I would just pick one in your situation, it doesn't matter.

This is why I've always advised college students planning on medical school to major in something outside of Biology that makes you at least marketable in the world like Econ or business or something. And you know what the ultimate kicker is? That that BS in biology really doesn't help you all that much in medical school anyway. The material you covered in undergrad they either gloss over in 20 minutes or simply skip over since it's not relevant to the practice of medicine.

I am of course skipping teaching and research as they're already mentioned above and are either low paying in the former or takes too long and low paying for the latter

Lab tech is possible. You may not be doing anything in a hospital lab or anything without a CLS or MLT but you could work in industrial labs such as oilfield work or a lot of testing centers like "lab corp" where they process stuff like UA's.

Get a masters, teach, get your PhD and do the tenure track. That's mine at least.

Now depending on what type of tenure track job you're after the PhD, it could be quite difficult to get a position (not impossible though). At the highest level (R1 institutes), the typical route would include:
BSc (4 yrs) -> (MSc optional, 1-2 yrs) -> PhD (5-6 yrs) -> postdoc (3-6 yrs) -> tenure-track position (3-6 yrs) -> tenure

I like that you've thought out the type of position you'd aim for. FYI, the response to your first post wasn't necessarily for you @danman794 but for other pre-meds that may come across this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Now depending on what type of tenure track job you're after the PhD, it could be quite difficult to get a position (not impossible though). At the highest level (R1 institutes), the typical route would include:
Bcc (4 yrs) -> (MSc optional, 1-2 yrs) -> PhD (5-6 yrs) -> postdoc (3-6 yrs) -> tenure-track position (3-6 yrs) -> tenure

I like that you've thought out the type of position you'd aim for. FYI, the response to your first post wasn't necessarily for you @danman794 but for other pre-meds that may come across this thread.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that different levels had different tracks!

I have friends using their Bio majors to go into positions as clinical research assistants for med schools/universities, clinical trial assistants for pharma companies (pays decently, like low 40s in cheap cities), teaching, going to work for Epic Systems traveling around teaching hospitals how to use their electronic records software, lab tech in basic science, scribing, assistants in doctors offices, etc.

Generally not one of the easier fields to get a job in, and really not easy to get a job that pays well, but it can be done! If you're really concerned though, you should pick up some computer science or econ or other second major that has much better prospects.

If you still want healthcare, if you don't get into medical school, check out optometry, podiatry, dentistry, nursing, PA. Almost everything requires more than the BS. Coding can get you a job regardless of major.

BSc (4 yrs) -> (MSc optional, 1-2 yrs) -> PhD (5-6 yrs) -> postdoc (3-6 yrs) -> tenure-track position (3-6 yrs) -> tenure

I would have probably gone for my PhD and a similar route if i had started this whole thing after HS. Now i'm 6+ years behind in the game. If you're interested in research check it out OP. I think your options for careers are going to be limited with only a BS. Certainly explore other aspects of medicine.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Honestly unless the applicant has a very low GPA that they need to remedy I tend to advise to skip the MSc. Most applicants can benefit just as much by working as a tech for those two years, which has the added benefit of actually being paid and not accruing more debt. This is of course assuming the MSc isn't funded.