Just need a little assurance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ash.k

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been on here quite a bit lately reading about all my fellow dental school applicants getting their interviews, with their AWESOME statistics and I just need a little assurance that there's actually hope. These forums are great but its kind of making it seem like if my application didn't go out right at the beginning or have a somewhat undesirable score (17 on PAT with 21 AA) that I don't even have a chance. Comes off as a little discouraging. Would like to know of anyone that felt/feels in similar shape. I know this is just the beginning of the process that continues well into next year but it's stressful!

Members don't see this ad.

last year I felt the same way. I'm currently in post-bacc program to make up for my poor undergrad GPA
I would start worrying if you don't get any interviews by late December.
As everyone else on here say, yes it is still early in the cycle.
Mind telling me your GPA?

AADSAS
BCP: 3.39
Total Science: 3.55
Non-Science: 3.87
Total: 3.68

TMDSAS:
BCPM: 3.54
Non-Science: 3.88
Total: 3.69

Would you mind sharing your GPA when you applied last year? So I can kind of know where I am and maybe what I should expect to need to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
Trust me, mine was very much lower than yours haha
Last year I had 3.30 oGPA (but about 40 credits from CC which is totally meaningless, without CC, I graduated with 3.14 from the transferred university with huge downward trend. For DAT, I had 19AA 20TS 22PAT (16RC 17QR). I retook as you can see under my signature. Now I'm fixing this damn GPA :(
Just be patient. I've went through all the process last year and it really drove me crazy, and was very depressing. There is really nothing you can do at this point, but wait.
You have a strong GPA and DAT. You will get interviews, and there are many people that get accepted from post-dec interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been a long time lurker (Just registered) and feel the same way sometimes. You need to remember that people who are super successful are more likely to want to post. People aren't eager to brag about their aerage scores, but average scores get into dental school all the time

Reactions: 1 user
Your second DAT scores are awesome, you should definitely be proud of that. Thanks for your input!
Trust me, mine was very much lower than yours haha
Last year I had 3.30 oGPA (but about 40 credits from CC which is totally meaningless, without CC, I graduated with 3.14 from the transferred university with huge downward trend. For DAT, I had 19AA 20TS 22PAT (16RC 17QR). I retook as you can see under my signature. Now I'm fixing this damn GPA :(
Just be patient. I've went through all the process last year and it really drove me crazy, and was very depressing. There is really nothing you can do at this point, but wait.
You have a strong GPA and DAT. You will get interviews, and there are many people that get accepted from post-dec interviews.

Your DAT scores are really awesome, you should definitely be proud of that turn around and you're working on the GPA which is probably the main thing they'll want to see. Thanks for your input! It helps having a little outside perspective.

Are you applying this year? If yes, how many schools did you apply to and when did you submit your application?
So I've been on here quite a bit lately reading about all my fellow dental school applicants getting their interviews, with their AWESOME statistics and I just need a little assurance that there's actually hope. These forums are great but its kind of making it seem like if my application didn't go out right at the beginning or have a somewhat undesirable score (17 on PAT with 21 AA) that I don't even have a chance. Comes off as a little discouraging. Would like to know of anyone that felt/feels in similar shape. I know this is just the beginning of the process that continues well into next year but it's stressful!

@onepik That's very true, good point. after I took my DAT I didn't want to post on here even though I was really happy about my scores, other than that lame 17 on PAT. waaahhh

Are you applying this year? If yes, how many schools did you apply to and when did you submit your application?

Yes I am applying this year, for a total of 12 schools, 9 out of state and the 3 in Texas. My AADSAS application was mailed out on 9/4 and are currently under review at all designated schools, and my TMDSAS application was transmitted to schools on 8/6.

Oh wow. I'm from Texas, too. And I'm also applying to almost the same number of schools as you are. My status is pretty much same as yours, except my PAT is 22. What a coincidence! I took the DAT the end of August, but I already submitted my application earlier. So far I have 2 interviews. Haven't heard anything from Texas schools, though. Don't worry too much. We just have to wait and hopefully you will hear some good news soon. All we need is having a chance for an interview, ace it, an get accepted into one, right? :). Good luck to you!

Awesome, small world! Good luck to you too :) in both of your interviews and future ones! I'm sure the fact that my applications went in late (if you aren't early you're late, basically) is why I've yet to hear anything. just have to keep positive. Hoping for something at least by the end of the month/November

I think you should be okay, depending on what out of state schools you applied to. I have similar DAT scores (21AA and actually 16PAT) and got 9 interviews (8 I'm attending); however, I did apply to 20 schools. Just hang in there and hopefully you applied broadly to your out of state schools. Good luck! There's always post-december interviews too.

Your gpa and DAT scores are in the solid range, I wouldn't be too worried as long as you wrote a standard/good personal statement. It's just the waiting game now; I know how unnerving it can be @@

When did you apply?

Thanks for all the hopeful words! Makes me feel better, especially after looking at the numbers. :) The waiting game is definitely the worst part. Good luck to everyone else applying as well!

There are plenty of dental students spread across schools that have gotten in without being up to "SDN standards." My best advice: if the school you applied to has similar overall stats to you, there is a good chance. Different schools look for different characteristics in their class, and even then these may differ each year as their objectives could change.

Don't give up and don't look down!

Cyril

Reactions: 1 user