Just sent my first ever email requesting to shadow (DO)

Developer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This was harder than asking a girl out :laugh:

The automated response says I'll get a reply within two business days though, wish me luck guys.

Members don't see this ad.

The automated response says I'll get a reply within two business days though, wish me luck guys.

Way to go! The first step is always the hardest. Think of this as practice for when you ask for LORs. :laugh: In the future, you can also try contacting the hospital's HR department. They set up my shadowing with 5 different physicians. Good Luck with shadowing and I hope you get a yes.

Congratulations! I did it the way you did, directly through a doctor and then after I worked with him a bit, he introduces me to other ER docs he thought were good. And then I shadowed them. So always try to be introduced to everyone. And any doc that I've come in contact with is glad to give out their email for questions or if you want to shadow. Don't be afraid to ask :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck! I have my fingers crossed for ya! :xf:

I had trouble getting shadowing at first. Took me about 4 tries to finally get one to allow me to shadow. I hope your experience will be a lot easier than that.

Good Luck!!! Let us know what happens. :)
I ended up emailing around 30 doctors asking if I can shadow them and I only heard from one doc who said yes, I'm still in contact with her and she is helping me find other docs to shadow.

Update: Got a response, she said she'd love to allow me to shadow but the healthcare provider/clinic only allows med students to shadow doctors there so I'm out of luck for this one, unfortunately. It's all good though, I'll just have to find another place that lets non-med students shadow.

Try saying you are applying to a BS/MD program and need to see if its for you before you dedicate 6-8 years of your life to medicine. That should help them understand your side.

Try saying you are applying to a BS/MD program and need to see if its for you before you dedicate 6-8 years of your life to medicine. That should help them understand your side.

Unfortunately, that will not help in the least. OP has been informed that a policy at the facility prohibits shadowing. I encountered a similar situation. The hospital in my hometown does not permit shadowing by non-med students either. They mentioned that it had something to do with their insurance. Luckily there is an affiliated clinic which does allow shadowing.

OP keep your head up and keep searching. If you have friends who have shadowed, look to them for direction.

Best wishes.