Kansas State c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wish I would have read this before I sent in my elective sheet. I only signed up for 2 because I have been out of school for 4 years. So I was nervous about taking 3 my first semester back. But I guess I can do more my second semester and my second year.

You'll still be okay; you'll get them all done, one way or another. I'm sure that if you really wanted to, you could email your contact person for the school and ask them to add another elective. Don't worry too much about electives. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So this is my first post here, but I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few questions I'm wondering about. I've been admitted to Kansas State and decided I will be attending here in the fall. My parents are looking into buying a house (just for my boyfriend and I for the first 2 years, then I will probably look for a roommate for the 2nd half while he is at business school). Does anyone know if there are any areas to avoid or that might be less desirable? I also may have a 2 year old Great Dane coming with me, so are their any home owner's association restrictions in different neighborhoods? I also can't remember from the interviews, but does anyone know what hours vet students have access to the buildings? I love studying until around midnight before exams and always focus better in a non-home setting :) Thanks so much, and I am so excited I just can't wait for orientation to get here!

So this is my first post here, but I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few questions I'm wondering about. I've been admitted to Kansas State and decided I will be attending here in the fall. My parents are looking into buying a house (just for my boyfriend and I for the first 2 years, then I will probably look for a roommate for the 2nd half while he is at business school). Does anyone know if there are any areas to avoid or that might be less desirable? I also may have a 2 year old Great Dane coming with me, so are their any home owner's association restrictions in different neighborhoods? I also can't remember from the interviews, but does anyone know what hours vet students have access to the buildings? I love studying until around midnight before exams and always focus better in a non-home setting :) Thanks so much, and I am so excited I just can't wait for orientation to get here!

If you're buying a house it probably shouldn't be an issue. A lot of apartments wouldn't allow a dog that big though. Library has it's own hours, lab and lecture halls are available to students 24/7 with your key card.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I just noticed on the school's website that apparently OOS tuition and fees went down this year. This page has OOS tuition and fees for 2015-16 at $56,248 for the year: http://www.k-state.edu/sfa/costofattendance/vmtc.html
But my actual financial aid profile lists tuition and fees as $52,262 for this year. :eek: I'm going to trust the lower amount since that's apparently what was used to calculate my loan amounts, so that makes me considerably less worried about having enough in loans to cover my costs.

There's not many bad areas in Manhattan, and no HOA fees anywhere that I know of, except possibly the really nice areas of town. It's pretty easy to find a nice house here to purchase :)

Does anyone know if there are any areas to avoid or that might be less desirable?

In terms of safety? Nothing comes to mind on the East side of town. I'll ask my roommate tomorrow, they have lived here longer than I have.
It is a small town, but not so small everyone knows each other. I live within a mile of Aggieville and would walk home alone at night. I'd never do that where I grew up.
In terms of sanity, don't buy a house near Aggieville if they're not all rentals in the first place. Aggieville is the bar district across the street from the main campus, not the CVM campus. Anywhere within a 5 block radius on the east side of the main KSU campus seem to hold lots of parties, especially Betrand Street, maybe Kearney too, but what college town isn't that way?
I also would avoid anywhere close to the football stadium to account for football season traffic.

Thanks so much everyone for the advice, I really appreciate it!

Does anyone who is already a student at KSU know if the scrub tops run large, small, or true to size? I have had scrub tops that have said small but were actually huge and vice versa. I would prefer to have one that fits me :).

Has anyone else had trouble with KSIS? I have not been able to look at mine, I don't think I have been granted access yet! Also does anyone else know anything about their WID? Were we already issued them and I just can't find mine? That would probably help with my KSIS issue lol. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Has anyone else had trouble with KSIS? I have not been able to look at mine, I don't think I have been granted access yet! Also does anyone else know anything about their WID? Were we already issued them and I just can't find mine? That would probably help with my KSIS issue lol. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I was given my WID on our financial aid award letter. You definitely need that WID and eID to sign into KSIS :)

I was given my WID on our financial aid award letter. You definitely need that WID and eID to sign into KSIS :)
I have an eID just no WID! I tried verifying with my social to see what would happen and that did not work. And I didn't apply for financial aid so I won't be getting mine that way. I'll just shoot them an email tomorrow and see what they say!

I have an eID just no WID! I tried verifying with my social to see what would happen and that did not work. And I didn't apply for financial aid so I won't be getting mine that way. I'll just shoot them an email tomorrow and see what they say!
Out of curiosity, how are you paying for school without loans?

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, how are you paying for school without loans?
I am just very lucky and very fortunate to have the parents I do and I would rather not go into any more details.

Last edited:
Question about loans for anyone. I've accepted my loan amounts on KSIS, but do I have to complete loan entrance counseling again and sign a master promissory note? I've been out of school for a year, and I can't remember how I did this whole loan process in undergrad. Also, can I defer payments on my undergraduate loans now, or do I have to wait until August when classes start? My next payment is due soon and I'd rather stop paying sooner to save up more money for living expenses :)

Does anyone who is already a student at KSU know if the scrub tops run large, small, or true to size? I have had scrub tops that have said small but were actually huge and vice versa. I would prefer to have one that fits me :).
Definitely run large!

Question about loans for anyone. I've accepted my loan amounts on KSIS, but do I have to complete loan entrance counseling again and sign a master promissory note? I've been out of school for a year, and I can't remember how I did this whole loan process in undergrad. Also, can I defer payments on my undergraduate loans now, or do I have to wait until August when classes start? My next payment is due soon and I'd rather stop paying sooner to save up more money for living expenses :)
KSIS should have a to do list on the right side of the self service page. That will tell you any paperwork that you need to complete. You should also get an email, but I would check KSIS first. All else fails call the financial aid office; they have always been very helpful for me.

Are we supposed to get an email or some other confirmation once they've gotten the forms from our packet? I sent mine back the 31st and haven't heard anything. Also my KSIS doesn't show that they've gotten my PLUS form which is due the 7th, and I sent that off the 31st as well. :scared:

I didn't get a confirmation, but my KSIS shows that I'm enrolled in fall classes with the electives I chose on the form.

What's the PLUS form? Now I'm worried I missed something

I didn't get a confirmation, but my KSIS shows that I'm enrolled in fall classes with the electives I chose on the form.

What's the PLUS form? Now I'm worried I missed something
Mine still shows I'm not enrolled in classes, so I guess I'll keep checking over the next few days. How long ago did you send your forms in?

Like eschmidt mentioned, there should be a to-do list on KSIS with any financial aid stuff you need to do. Mine had that form I had to fill out and mail in, along with doing the entrance counseling and the promissory note. I also got a letter in the mail about it. If you're not taking out Graduate PLUS loans I'd assume you don't need to worry about that form. Even if you are, I just noticed the letter doesn't mention a due date, it just says June 7th online, so maybe it's not that strict?

Are we supposed to get an email or some other confirmation once they've gotten the forms from our packet? I sent mine back the 31st and haven't heard anything. Also my KSIS doesn't show that they've gotten my PLUS form which is due the 7th, and I sent that off the 31st as well. :scared:

I did not get a confirmation, but I sent Miranda an email to see if it was received since I sent mine over memorial day weekend. If you aren't enrolled in KSIS then either they haven't gotten your packet yet, or there is a hold on your account. I would just send her an email to find out :D

Mine still shows I'm not enrolled in classes, so I guess I'll keep checking over the next few days. How long ago did you send your forms in?

Like eschmidt mentioned, there should be a to-do list on KSIS with any financial aid stuff you need to do. Mine had that form I had to fill out and mail in, along with doing the entrance counseling and the promissory note. I also got a letter in the mail about it. If you're not taking out Graduate PLUS loans I'd assume you don't need to worry about that form. Even if you are, I just noticed the letter doesn't mention a due date, it just says June 7th online, so maybe it's not that strict?

I asked the financial aid office about the due dates on KSIS, and they told me there are no official due dates for accepting loans, that if just needs to be done in the coming months. I didn't accept the Plus loan though, so maybe that one has a more strict deadline.

No worries. They don't take it off until they've received them all for the due date. They'll get around to taking it off. If you're concerned that financial aid didn't get it, you can always call.

As for correspondence from CVM, you won't hear anything else until end of July, early August, and that will be about orientation. They don't send confirmations for the packet forms.

Yes! :) my sdn name isn't too secretive haha. Add me on Facebook!

Current students: I'm looking for a place to rent with my fiancé stating in June. We would prefer a home, but could go for a duplex or a "nicer" apartment complex. Needs to be cat friendly. Any ideas on where to look? Suggest any management companies to look through or ones to avoid?

Thanks!

Hi! I would recommend you check out Westchester Park Apartments. Between 2 people, rent is very reasonable, pet friendly, and very close to school! :) Frozenshades and I live there now, and a lot of our other classmates do as well!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Possibly dumb question, do we have our book/supply list yet? I saw the 2015-16 one posted in the Facebook group a while back, but not sure if anything's different for this year. Not that I'm anxious to buy stuff, but I see people in the c/o 2020 thread talk about buying stethoscopes and books and such and get paranoid that I'm behind. :laugh:

Possibly dumb question, do we have our book/supply list yet? I saw the 2015-16 one posted in the Facebook group a while back, but not sure if anything's different for this year. Not that I'm anxious to buy stuff, but I see people in the c/o 2020 thread talk about buying stethoscopes and books and such and get paranoid that I'm behind. :laugh:

No, I haven't gotten any more information yet. I'd like to have everything in order but at the same time... totally not anxious to buy stuff :)

Just don't feel the need to run out and buy all those books (unless you really want to). I only bought 1-2 per semester, there are few you actually need. As for a stethoscope, there's no rush. At least with how the curriculum has been didn't need one until third year.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if we will receive a schedule/ syllabus prior to school starting? There's a concert I want to go to in KC but it's on a Tuesday night the second week of school :(

Does anyone know if we will receive a schedule/ syllabus prior to school starting? There's a concert I want to go to in KC but it's on a Tuesday night the second week of school :(

If I am remembering correctly, I think classes usually went until about 4-5pm. Since its labs in the afternoons attendance is required for those. Your exams are mostly going to be on Fridays, I think you'll probably have one at the end of that week. I wouldn't let an exam stop you from going, but idk what time your show is vs. what time you'd get done with classes that day!

If I am remembering correctly, I think classes usually went until about 4-5pm. Since its labs in the afternoons attendance is required for those. Your exams are mostly going to be on Fridays, I think you'll probably have one at the end of that week. I wouldn't let an exam stop you from going, but idk what time your show is vs. what time you'd get done with classes that day!

Yeah, I think I could make it through classes and still get to KC in time. I'll just wait awhile before deciding!

Oh my. I got the call yesterday about an available spot! :soexcited:Hello future classmates!

Reactions: 2 users
Oh my. I got the call yesterday about an available spot! :soexcited:Hello future classmates!
Congratulations! Be sure to join the Facebook page! Can't wait to meet you in the fall!

Are there any upperclassmen on here that have had family members go to the first day of orientation? In our packets it says that they will have sepearate programs for loved ones all day on August 17th but I was curious about how many people actually bring parents, spouses, etc and if they found the programs helpful/interesting

Are there any upperclassmen on here that have had family members go to the first day of orientation? In our packets it says that they will have sepearate programs for loved ones all day on August 17th but I was curious about how many people actually bring parents, spouses, etc and if they found the programs helpful/interesting
My parents went. I think that they found it very eye opening and were thankful to have gone.

My parents went. I think that they found it very eye opening and were thankful to have gone.

My spouse thinks it'll be people saying, "You won't see them for four years. They will be stressed out. Here's why...(several speeches later) good luck!"
Accurate or not?

My spouse thinks it'll be people saying, "You won't see them for four years. They will be stressed out. Here's why...(several speeches later) good luck!"
Accurate or not?
Yes, but they do a great job of explaining things, and I think that they felt better prepared for helping me through the stress of school.