Kansas State c/o 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello!!! I just got accepted!!! So excited to meet you guys this fall!!!

KSU c/o 2020 hopeful

Congrats!!!! Excited to meet you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone post the Facebook page on here... I can't find it

KSU c/o 2020 hopeful

Can anyone post the Facebook page on here... I can't find it

KSU c/o 2020 hopeful
If you search Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2020 you should be able to find it! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the call this afternoon! Can't wait to meet everyone and good luck to everyone else still on the wait list!

Reactions: 1 users
So for those of us that we're alternates what happens after you mail in your deposit? And how do the elective classes work?

KSU c/o 2020!!!!

So for those of us that we're alternates what happens after you mail in your deposit? And how do the elective classes work?

KSU c/o 2020!!!!
You should get an email once they've received your deposit and contract, and then it sounds like we won't hear more until June/July.

For the technical standards contract, do you sign the part that says with accommodations if you will need to use disability services for testing accommodations or does that mean something else?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

For the technical standards contract, do you sign the part that says with accommodations if you will need to use disability services for testing accommodations or does that mean something else?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I would contact the admissions office and see what they want you to do for that.

KSU c/o 2020!!!!

KSU c/o 2020!!!!

Unfortunately we don't get any more information until close to July, but you should get an email once they get your deposit :D I can't wait to get more info though!!

Does this include financial aid/loan info too or do we need to get that sorted out ASAP?

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately we don't get any more information until close to July, but you should get an email once they get your deposit :D I can't wait to get more info though!!
@Cmmore15 you haven't missed anything yet. Can't remember 100% but I think the form for your elective choices will be in that packet (if not it's day 1 of orientation). I think it's 12 hours of electives to be done before clinics right now (our year was the first that they took away a needed elective hour and bumped therio from 2 credits to 3 and made it more comprehensive). There are choices each semester, some are only available to certain classes due to prerequisites or just time constraints (i.e., other class years may have core classes during that elective time). So you pick and return the form or for future semesters you can just email the dean's office. Then they enroll you in your chosen electives and block enroll everyone into the core classes. That's all you have to worry about until you're about to be a fourth year.

Also, some of the electives are...better than others. So I'd suggest getting opinions from upper years, especially if you're having trouble deciding your choices.

Reactions: 1 user
@Cmmore15 you haven't missed anything yet. Can't remember 100% but I think the form for your elective choices will be in that packet (if not it's day 1 of orientation). I think it's 12 hours of electives to be done before clinics right now (our year was the first that they took away a needed elective hour and bumped therio from 2 credits to 3 and made it more comprehensive). There are choices each semester, some are only available to certain classes due to prerequisites or just time constraints (i.e., other class years may have core classes during that elective time). So you pick and return the form or for future semesters you can just email the dean's office. Then they enroll you in your chosen electives and block enroll everyone into the core classes. That's all you have to worry about until you're about to be a fourth year.

Also, some of the electives are...better than others. So I'd suggest getting opinions from upper years, especially if you're having trouble deciding your choices.
Thank you!!! Also like, sarakittykat asked, when does financial info come in?

KSU c/o 2020!!!!

Thank you!!! Also like, sarakittykat asked, when does financial info come in?

KSU c/o 2020!!!!

I think it should be info in the packet they send you. Memory isn't 100% on that; if for some reason not at that point you could contact the financial aid office to inquire. I know I got my student ID number around then and had some communications with the fin aid office though; their computer system couldn't compute that I was a graduate student with no record of a bachelor's degree and they had to confirm my student status.

Do you know what some of the first year elective choices are/ are there any you would recommend?

Do you know what some of the first year elective choices are/ are there any you would recommend?

In the fall, let's see. There's a vet med history class, not always the most exciting but he had some interesting stories, and it was easy. The 3D dog anatomy course is a good review and can help get you used to looking at cross sectional images. There's an online elective about Trade and Ag health that's alright. I took one about use and interpretation of veterinary academic literature as well, some good points but nothing earth shattering. I know there's a few others. I think third year has the most interesting ones tbh.

@Frozenshades

When do you grace our side with your presence?

Two weeks from today :eek:

I start on soft tissue surgery. Equine stuff is in July (not counting dead horses on necropsy in June lol).

I just got the call... I'm in!!

Reactions: 3 users
Got called by Kansas two days ago and declined, hopefully someone gets a seat! :)

Two weeks from today :eek:

I start on soft tissue surgery. Equine stuff is in July (not counting dead horses on necropsy in June lol).

:naughty:

Except that you avoided the best equine rotation.....But I may let that slide.

For others that have just graduated from UG like myself- do we send a copy of our final transcripts to the admissions office?

For others that have just graduated from UG like myself- do we send a copy of our final transcripts to the admissions office?
Yes! The same place you sent your supplemental application when applying.

Just got my packet today! I have a question for you future classmates, did you get a first year elective form? The packet says there are 5 forms we have to return by June 10th, and I don't believe my packet has the elective form. Anyone know what this is supposed to look like?

Just got my packet today! I have a question for you future classmates, did you get a first year elective form? The packet says there are 5 forms we have to return by June 10th, and I don't believe my packet has the elective form. Anyone know what this is supposed to look like?
Eek, I haven't gotten that yet! I did get my financial award letter a few weeks ago with instructions to set up my eID, so I did that and have accepted my loans. I'm excited to get this packet, I wasn't expecting anything quite yet!

Also hi fellow Missouri person! :hello: Where in Missouri are you from, if you don't mind me asking? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it publicly. :)

I got mine too but I'm out of town! I'll get my dad to tell me later if the elective form is in it or not.

My dad saw a list of electives but no choice page. Also, in the packet it says we will be given a scrub top to wear first week of clinics and are expected to wear a blouse or shirt and tie? Is this for later on? What I saw, the dress code for class wasn't so dressy

My dad saw a list of electives but no choice page. Also, in the packet it says we will be given a scrub top to wear first week of clinics and are expected to wear a blouse or shirt and tie? Is this for later on? What I saw, the dress code for class wasn't so dressy

That should just be for orientation. They want you looking nice for introductions, pictures, etc. And yes everyone will be given a purple scrub top that has your classes logo on the back. They like the underclasses to wear that if they choose to spend time in the hospital so people know who you are and why you're there.

At least that's how it has been

My packet did come, my parents just hadn't told me! I have the page CatLover described, but I'm not sure what they mean by the elective form either. Maybe they forgot to include that in the packets and we'll get that later, lol.

That should just be for orientation. They want you looking nice for introductions, pictures, etc. And yes everyone will be given a purple scrub top that has your classes logo on the back. They like the underclasses to wear that if they choose to spend time in the hospital so people know who you are and why you're there.

At least that's how it has been

Thank you! I kind of figured it was something like that!

Eek, I haven't gotten that yet! I did get my financial award letter a few weeks ago with instructions to set up my eID, so I did that and have accepted my loans. I'm excited to get this packet, I wasn't expecting anything quite yet!

Also hi fellow Missouri person! :hello: Where in Missouri are you from, if you don't mind me asking? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it publicly. :)

I'm originally from St. Louis, but I currently live in the southern part of Kansas City and I've been here for about a year! What about you?

Thanks! Yeah I have that list of electives but no choice page to submit as well. I'll contact them Monday and ask if we were supposed to get one. :)

I'm originally from St. Louis, but I currently live in the southern part of Kansas City and I've been here for about a year! What about you?
I live in Springfield! But I'm originally from Tulsa, OK. :)

Was wondering about how to choose our electives too!

Do we rank our choices or something like that?

Also, does anyone know how recent our rabies vaccine series needs to be? I got mine about a year and a half ago.

Also, does anyone know how recent our rabies vaccine series needs to be? I got mine about a year and a half ago.
I got my rabies vaccines almost 5 years ago so they are suggesting that I do a titer when I get to the school. If I need to get a booster then I will get it done on At the vaccine clinic.

Typically, you check titers every two years. If your titer is good, no vax, if its low, then they recommend a booster. Since we have the rabies diagnostic lab, you can have your blood drawn at Lafene, then take it over to the diagnostic lab. Makes things pretty easy.

Upper classmen- What did you guys think of the "practical use & interpretation of veterinary scientific literature"?

Also, is it recommended to sign up for 3 electives since it says 0-3? I saw online that the curriculum only allows for 1-2 credits of electives other semesters... or is that just what is recommended? I was thinking of doing 2 electives, but I don't want to regret not doing 3 :)

Upper classmen- What did you guys think of the "practical use & interpretation of veterinary scientific literature"?
I loved it. It's a bit of work, but I learned a lot, and it is very applicable and helpful when you need to start researching cases.

Also, is it recommended to sign up for 3 electives since it says 0-3? I saw online that the curriculum only allows for 1-2 credits of electives other semesters... or is that just what is recommended? I was thinking of doing 2 electives, but I don't want to regret not doing 3 :)
I did three. You will want to take more in the first 2 years than 3rd year. Honestly, the first year electives are not that tough, and not a ton of extra work. Third year is a pretty intense workload, and you'll want to minimize any additional work.

I did three. You will want to take more in the first 2 years than 3rd year. Honestly, the first year electives are not that tough, and not a ton of extra work. Third year is a pretty intense workload, and you'll want to minimize any additional work.

Thanks! I'll sign up for 3 then!

I had another student tell me to sign up for more my first and third year because 2nd year was the hardest and 3rd year had the "fun" electives...

I wish I would have read this before I sent in my elective sheet. I only signed up for 2 because I have been out of school for 4 years. So I was nervous about taking 3 my first semester back. But I guess I can do more my second semester and my second year.

I had another student tell me to sign up for more my first and third year because 2nd year was the hardest and 3rd year had the "fun" electives...
Yeah third year has the most interesting. I found the classes more difficult than year 2, but it's a better year in terms of amount of hours in class which was what wore me down second year. Though junior surgery is pretty time demanding