KYCO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shmaryyy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Any thoughts on KYCO? Do you think it will be frowned upon to attend KYCO since it's only in the preliminary approval stage and not fully accredited? Do you think this will have an effect on residencies and job opportunities? Thanks for the input ahead of time!

Members don't see this ad.

Unnecessary school (expect the median OD salary to drop), yes (you don't even have a guaranteed successful curriculum established, board scores for all new schools are much lower in comparison to established schools), yes (negatively)
Go to an accredited and established school with an alumni network and some prestige to start your career on the right foot

Reactions: 1 user
Unnecessary school (expect the median OD salary to drop), yes (you don't even have a guaranteed successful curriculum established, board scores for all new schools are much lower in comparison to established schools), yes (negatively)
Go to an accredited and established school with an alumni network and some prestige to start your career on the right foot

well that's a little harsh. but thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
Any thoughts on KYCO? Do you think it will be frowned upon to attend KYCO since it's only in the preliminary approval stage and not fully accredited? Do you think this will have an effect on residencies and job opportunities? Thanks for the input ahead of time!

Hey Shmaryy,
I interviewed at KYCO. Really loved what the school was trying to do technologically and loved the people there. I do think that the outlook of ODs is a bit oversaturated, but this is happening in many fields, medicine and dental included. (My cousin is in dentistry and speaks about how chain dentistry establishments (Aspen, Pacific, etc) are taking over. My whole family is littered with MDs, including my mother; it is not easy regardless of any field, there is a lot of competition. It is more about how smart you are as a health care provider and how charismatic and "likable" you are).
The one thing that I disagree with is that opening the school here made sense statistically. There are only 2 ophthalmologists in the area, and only a handful of ODs. I believe the school wants people to stay in the area to supply their demand. But that being said, there will be over saturation there too quickly.
The one issue is accreditation. An established school has reputation. Nothing beats reputation when it comes to networking for jobs after you receive your degree.

All in all, loved the school, loved the people, feel like people have potential to be successful, but chose NOVA ultimately because of
1. established curriculum and accreditation
2. traveling to Pikeville is a pain and my parents are aging and would much rather want to retire in Florida.

Hey Shmaryy,
I interviewed at KYCO. Really loved what the school was trying to do technologically and loved the people there. I do think that the outlook of ODs is a bit oversaturated, but this is happening in many fields, medicine and dental included. (My cousin is in dentistry and speaks about how chain dentistry establishments (Aspen, Pacific, etc) are taking over. My whole family is littered with MDs, including my mother; it is not easy regardless of any field, there is a lot of competition. It is more about how smart you are as a health care provider and how charismatic and "likable" you are).
The one thing that I disagree with is that opening the school here made sense statistically. There are only 2 ophthalmologists in the area, and only a handful of ODs. I believe the school wants people to stay in the area to supply their demand. But that being said, there will be over saturation there too quickly.
The one issue is accreditation. An established school has reputation. Nothing beats reputation when it comes to networking for jobs after you receive your degree.

All in all, loved the school, loved the people, feel like people have potential to be successful, but chose NOVA ultimately because of
1. established curriculum and accreditation
2. traveling to Pikeville is a pain and my parents are aging and would much rather want to retire in Florida.
Hey, thank you so much for all the input. It was super helpful! Good luck in NOVA :)