Ladies.. did you take a purse with you when you interviewed at schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MoXiEguRl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My interview is on Friday and i've been wondering if it makes you look tacky carrying a purse into your interview.

My interview is from 12 to 5.. geez! I figure i might need some snacks or water during that time.. and my clothing doesn't have any pockets.

What do you all think?!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

MoXiEguRl said:
My interview is on Friday and i've been wondering if it makes you look tacky carrying a purse into your interview.

My interview is from 12 to 5.. geez! I figure i might need some snacks or water during that time.. and my clothing doesn't have any pockets.

What do you all think?!

Thanks!

It beats bringing a backpack! That's what I did at my first interview. After digging in my closet, I found a shoulder bag/purse that fitted everything I needed for my subsequent trips, especially if we were given folders/booklets about the school. I also shoved my big wallet, umbrella (if it rained), and a small notebook to take notes. At the interviews, they usually provide water. I don't know about refreshments...

I would bring a purse big enough to fit a folder in. Most of the women at my interviews did this and it worked out pretty good. It gives you plenty of room to bring pens, chapstick, whatever. I know what you mean about snacks! I am hypoglycemic and need to eat often, but I was nervous at the same time so the tummy was not to happy... this made for an interesting day.

Good luck!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
MoXiEguRl said:

What do you all think?!

Thanks!

I'm not a lady, but I interviewed about 1000 people in my lifetime (I also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night) and I think the last thing on my mind was whether the interviewee was carrying a purse or not. If the purse is appropriate it is irrelevant whether you have one or not.

MoXiEguRl said:

What do you all think?!

Thanks!

I've actually heard of a girl who was rejected from a school after an interview, who had brought a purse into the interview. Now i'm not sure as to exactly why; however, she seemed to indicate that the purse may have been a detrimental factor in her not being accepted into pharmacy school.

Does anyone else here think that this may be why some guys get in over other girls? because of the purse factor?

Requiem said:
I've actually heard of a girl who was rejected from a school after an interview, who had brought a purse into the interview. Now i'm not sure as to exactly why; however, she seemed to indicate that the purse may have been a detrimental factor in her not being accepted into pharmacy school.

Does anyone else here think that this may be why some guys get in over other girls? because of the purse factor?
perhaps she had the playboy bunny on her purse?

Requiem said:

What is this supposed to mean?

Seriously...(not trying to troll before anyone complains about it)...I would just like to know where this is coming from.

Caverject said:
perhaps she had the playboy bunny on her purse?

You know what, that would definitely not impress the interviewers. Maybe even something "tacky", as the OP said, i.e a neon pink purse would begrudge the interviewers?

I've said it once, I'll say it again. Stone-Henge. Go in there completely neutral, no extra accessories (ie purses / backpacks / skateboards) and that will only maximize your chances as those who bring in these frivilous items will be weeded out. I guarantee it.

insipid1979 said:
What is this supposed to mean?

Seriously...(not trying to troll before anyone complains about it)...I would just like to know where this is coming from.

Well, I logically deduced that there are two important reasons that purses may be a factor in nationwide percentage of females vs males:

#1) Almost 0% of guys would ever carry a purse.
#2) A much larger %, perhaps around 20%, of females may carry a purse into an interview.

If you think that a purse (as the OP has mentioned) may be a reason for rubbing the interviewers the wrong way (i.e neon pink, tacky, etc), then females would be put at a disadvantage for admission, solely based on their purses, which men would not carry. Because men do not have this disadvantage, it is not fair and therefore more men will get into pharmacy because of this purse factor. I mean it's quite simple really.

MoXiEguRl said:

What do you all think?!

Thanks!

When I went to my interview, I brought a black leather portfolio/folder. However, I didn't actually take the portfolio with me during the interview. I left it on the seat where I and other students were waiting for the interview. Anyways, if you want to bring snacks, you can bring a nice, black or any dark, solid color, and professional-looking purse with you. Some schools provide snacks in the waiting area.

Good luck on the interview :luck:

Requiem said:
it is not fair and therefore more men will get into pharmacy because of this purse factor. I mean it's quite simple really.

That is exactly why I brought it up. Because that is not the case...it is the the opposite.

Besides...i'm sure the height of a guy matters a lot more than the height of a female. So therefore the short guys are being discriminated against. There are a bunch of different things like this you can argue. Being an attractive girl probably matters more than being an attractive guy...and so on and so on. So I didn't really see your point.

any conservative purse is fine. just don't carry something like this:
corsett4.jpg

karariki said:
any conservative purse is fine. just don't carry something like this:
corsett4.jpg

ahah.. good call! I'll make sure i change out my purse tonight! jk ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Requiem said:

Duh! Like, purses are SO unprofessional! Have you ever seen a pharmacist carrying a purse??

It would totally explain the huge ratio of male to female pharm students.

I carried a nice black bag that my portfolio, water bottle, granola bar, and a pair of black flats (for the hour long walking tour) would fit it. I don't think it affected my interview either way. Best of :luck: .

I took a purse to all my interviews as well as a porfolio. They both went with me actually into the interview and i've gotten everywhere i've interviewed. as long as its not tacky it doesnt matter.

UVaWahoo said:
I took a purse to all my interviews as well as a porfolio. They both went with me actually into the interview and i've gotten everywhere i've interviewed. as long as its not tacky it doesnt matter.

ditto--my suit has no "real pockets" --where would i put my car keys? :D i dont think that the 'purse factor' is a factor. i think that interviewers are reasonable. people at the ut-austin interview (from ut) had backpacks.

insipid1979 said:

Troll

Requiem said:
Well, I logically deduced that there are two important reasons that purses may be a factor in nationwide percentage of females vs males:

#1) Almost 0% of guys would ever carry a purse.
#2) A much larger %, perhaps around 20%, of females may carry a purse into an interview.

If you think that a purse (as the OP has mentioned) may be a reason for rubbing the interviewers the wrong way (i.e neon pink, tacky, etc), then females would be put at a disadvantage for admission, solely based on their purses, which men would not carry. Because men do not have this disadvantage, it is not fair and therefore more men will get into pharmacy because of this purse factor. I mean it's quite simple really.

Might want to check into that claim of using logic.

Anyways, if the female chooses to carry a neon pink, tacky purse to a professional interview, she's putting herself at a disadvantage for looking like a ***** not because of some vendetta against women. No difference there than if she wore fishnet stockings and goldfish platform shoes.

I couldn't imagine not taking a purse. . . :)

All4MyDaughter said:
I think it was meant to be humorous.

Maybe next time you can resist to urge to criticize me again and read the whole thread first and you might realize that it is obvious that no...it was not meant to be humorous.

I feel for you, this has become a big deal now that has to be addressed. Some girls bring them and some just don't, but YOU'VE put thought into it. This now means that you either HAVE to bring it if it brings you comfort to have something to clutch onto, or you HAVE to leave it home because now you're self-concious about it...

If you do bring it now though, it's going to kind of be like becoming aware of your tongue... it's there and growing and you can't do anything about it.. you're purse is going to seem huge.

Man just wait til you start thinking about make-up... next thing you know you see a circus clown looking back at you in the mirror before you finally wet your towel.

RxRob said:
I feel for you, this has become a big deal now that has to be addressed. Some girls bring them and some just don't, but YOU'VE put thought into it. This now means that you either HAVE to bring it if it brings you comfort to have something to clutch onto, or you HAVE to leave it home because now you're self-concious about it...

If you do bring it now though, it's going to kind of be like becoming aware of your tongue... it's there and growing and you can't do anything about it.. you're purse is going to seem huge.

Man just wait til you start thinking about make-up... next thing you know you see a circus clown looking back at you in the mirror before you finally wet your towel.

ahaha.. you bring up some great points. Thank god i only wear a small amount of makeup. Otherwise i might fall into the "clown look."

Geez! so many questions.. at least i already have my outfit ready.. and no i'm not going to bring a big bright pink purse. Just a small black one to go with my outfit. I didn't mean for this thread to get so crazy!

Anyways.. HAVE AT IT.. take those fusterations out before finals!

insipid1979 said:
Maybe next time you can resist to urge to criticize me again and read the whole thread first and you might realize that it is obvious that no...it was not meant to be humorous.

No, I'm pretty sure he was being humorous, or sarcastic - whatever.
Especially the part about the purse factor being the reason more men get into pharmacy school than women.

All4MyDaughter said:
No, I'm pretty sure he was being humorous, or sarcastic - whatever.
Especially the part about the purse factor being the reason more men get into pharmacy school than women.

:rolleyes:

It would be nice if you could read the whole thread next time before criticizing me...

insipid1979 said:
:rolleyes:

It would be nice if you could read the whole thread next time before criticizing me...

What are you talking about? I read the thread and I think Requiem was being sarcastic about purses being a disadvantage to females. You don't have to agree with me, but that's what I think.

Okay.. instead of the purse there are always other options..

A little "hip action.."
IMAG004A.jpg

Or else i can bring along Mr Toad.. he's a big hit whenever i take him out..

toad.jpg

okay i'm just joking.. just trying to break some tension.

*passes out xanax*

MoXiEguRl said:
Or else i can bring along Mr Toad.. he's a big hit whenever i take him out..

That is the coolest purse I have ever seen. haha

insipid1979 said:
That is the coolest purse I have ever seen. haha

ahah..
I can only imagine what the interviewers would do if i set that on the table. It would either be funny or else they would think i was completely immature, and punch me in the face. :/ Or better yet light my file on fire infront of me.

MoXiEguRl said:
ahah..
I can only imagine what the interviewers would do if i set that on the table. It would either be funny or else they would think i was completely immature, and punch me in the face. :/ Or better yet light my file on fire infront of me.

What is it made of? It looks like a real frog.
I'm a little afraid of it, I think...

MoXiEguRl said:
ahah..

I'm going with lighting your file on fire.

VCU had tote-bags for everyone with a bunch of stuff in it...including a bottle of water, which was nice. But i didn't know this so i took my own burberry tote/purse which is HUGE (so i could fit any sort of documents in it). My purse wasn't tacky, but carrying around 2 huge totes all day probably was. I would take a little purse (small enough to, say, fit inside a bigger tote should you be given one) and a portfolio thing like someone earlier said.

on a similar note...it is probably a good idea to also groom your nails...like paint them a neutral color and make sure they are not freakishly long.

and wear shoes that have a good grip so you don't fall....TWICE...like i did. (once while walking with my interviewer...ouch)

Seems like everyone is getting side-track but back to the topic.

I brought my purse but I made my boyfriend carry it the entire time so technically, it appeared that I didn't have one. Overall, I don't think it matters though.

insipid1979 said:
I'm going with lighting your file on fire.

i'm going with lighting that purse on fire.

I carried a purse to my interview. I chose a small, black, leather purse, much different than the large hot pink or leopard print number I usually sport. I needed a spot to carry a few items and my suit would have hung weird with stuff in the pockets.

I saw lots of purses and portfolios. But as its been said before dont carry something that pegs you as "unqualified" for lack of a better term.

I think your friend is hurting herself if she really thinks her purse is the reason she didnt get accepted. Maybe she should contact the school and face what the real reason could be. Unless she got into school somewhere else of course. :)