"Late" Batch Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
13th batch lols. What batch would AdComm's be reviewing right now?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah my friend interviewed at 5 dental schools last year and got rejected from all 5. Just do well during the interview. Goodluck :)

this really makes me nervous... was your friend not good at interviews? what did he or she do wrong??

So apparently western is done giving out interviews and has filled up through Feb. Even though I have interviews at 3 schools I'd probably attend first, I'm still disappointed that I didn't get an invite lol. Not sure what they didn't like about my application. My stats are fine for western and the fact that I have other interviews must mean my PS and letters of rec were decent. Oh well

Members don't see this ad :)
So apparently western is done giving out interviews and has filled up through Feb. Even though I have interviews at 3 schools I'd probably attend first, I'm still disappointed that I didn't get an invite lol. Not sure what they didn't like about my application. My stats are fine for western and the fact that I have other interviews must mean my PS and letters of rec were decent. Oh well

How do you know this? Did they contact you telling you so?

How do you know this? Did they contact you telling you so?
I might have misread, but someone in the western thread spoke with someone on the phone who said all dates are full for interviews.

I might have misread, but someone in the western thread spoke with someone on the phone who said all dates are full for interviews.

Ahh I see it. What a bummer! Hopefully a lot of people will cancel their interview after dec 1 acceptances- then maybe we'll get an opportunity. At least you have 2 other interviews, that's something to celebrate!

In my email they only gave me one date. Doesn't mean they won't open more dates? Anyway, I would just call your admissions counselor to find out for sure. Maybe it's just Feb 6 that filled up.

In my email they only gave me one date. Doesn't mean they won't open more dates? Anyway, I would just call your admissions counselor to find out for sure. Maybe it's just Feb 6 that filled up.
Ah you're right, that might be what they meant. I still don't know why they'd offer more interviews for a certain date than the number of spaces they have. Eh, I'm just going to let western play itself out. After following your advice and getting such a fast response from that other school and not receiving a response at all from western, I'm not really eager to contact them again haha

Just received Interview #1 from Tufts!! 13th Batch

Reactions: 3 users
3.5 GPA
3.3 SGPA
3.8 Masters
20AA, 19PAT, 20TS
ECs: 400+ shadowing hours, leadership roles, 200+ community service.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied to 2 schools later in the game mid-Oct and after Thanksgiving, received interviews at the end of Nov and first week of Jan, and offer letters the 2 weeks after each -- if they want you, they want you. Don't give up!

I'm in similar situation. Were your stats good?
I've got only one invite and still waiting from other schools...

Serious question - has anyone ever talked to a tax representative about writing off some of the application cycle on their tax returns? I have spent like $4000 out of my pocket on primary, supplementals, suit attire, flights, etc. and still could walk away with nothing come December.
I have had a decent amount of my spendings go towards my future career written off. I think you should do it! I have documents all my dat and aadsas payments to give to my family accountant, not sure what will or will not be counted but hopefully some will.

Members don't see this ad :)
Batch 8 and 3 interviews so far. Waiting anxiously!!!!

Do you guys know of any schools who have a really quick turn around on "late" applications? Everything was sent off in early October (I know it hasn't been that long), but like everyone else, I'm starting to get nervous. Now I'm thinking of sending my application to a couple different schools just to be sure I get an interview SOMEWHERE. Any input would be helpful :nailbiting:

Do you guys know of any schools who have a really quick turn around on "late" applications? Everything was sent off in early October (I know it hasn't been that long), but like everyone else, I'm starting to get nervous. Now I'm thinking of sending my application to a couple different schools just to be sure I get an interview SOMEWHERE. Any input would be helpful :nailbiting:

NOVA, UDM, and Roseman seem to have quick turnarounds; however, I think NOVA's currently scheduling for March and I'm not sure if Roseman interviews in Dec. It could be a while from both schools just because of where we are in the currently cycle.

Midwestern

Reactions: 1 users

I got an invite from NOVA within a week after I submitted the supplemental. I'm 17th batch.. and still waiting from other schools too :scared:.
I just checked appointment calendar and there were two days left for Feb. They might start filling for March soon.
Wish good luck to both of us... :xf:

batch 13, 2nd interview at UIC. stats above!

Reactions: 2 users
Mailed 9/4, 1 waitlist for interview, 1 continuing review, 13 silent schools. What's it feel like the get an interview email? Slowly losing hope.

Mailed 9/4, 1 waitlist for interview, 1 continuing review, 13 silent schools. What's it feel like the get an interview email? Slowly losing hope.
Don't lose hope until classes actually start. I feel that way with 1 rejection, 2 interview requests, and 8 silent schools, but I think it's important to remember that things are not done until all of their classes are filled. December 1st hasn't even happened yet.

However, I am telling myself to be realistic. I probably won't get another interview request until at least January (if I even get anymore).

Don't lose hope until classes actually start. I feel that way with 1 rejection, 2 interview requests, and 8 silent schools, but I think it's important to remember that things are not done until all of their classes are filled. December 1st hasn't even happened yet.

However, I am telling myself to be realistic. I probably won't get another interview request until at least January (if I even get anymore).
Yeah I hear you. Every day I wake up and think today's the day and nothing comes. I'm hoping I get some interviews from the bigger private schools, and I'm still waiting on Maryland as I got the supplemental. It takes a toll on you especially during the semester taking hard upper level electives.

Yeah I hear you. Every day I wake up and think today's the day and nothing comes. I'm hoping I get some interviews from the bigger private schools, and I'm still waiting on Maryland as I got the supplemental. It takes a toll on you especially during the semester taking hard upper level electives.
I am on the same exact boat waiting for MD (batch 15) and I feel depressed every single day I don't get an email from them... Lol I'm glad I'm not the only one going insane here!!!!

I am on the same exact boat waiting for MD (batch 15) and I feel depressed every single day I don't get an email from them... Lol I'm glad I'm not the only one going insane here!!!!
I am batch 15 too !! How s your application going for now ?

They interview way into February! Don't lose hope! They'll probably pause until December, then send more invites later

I am batch 15 too !! How s your application going for now ?
I've gotten one interview last minute- so I got pretty excited thinking I would hear back from others- yet I'm not hearing anything past secondary sups... Was having hope for December interviews, but I'm not sure anymore...How about you?

Last edited:
I've gotten one interview last minute- so I got pretty excited thinking I would hear back from others- yet I'm not hearing anything past secondary sups... Was having hope for December interviews, but I'm not sure anymore...How about you?
It's great !!Good luck with your interview ! I got one on last Friday, so I guess there' s still plenty of chance for us.
Btw do you mind sharing where did you get the interview ?

Thought I'd share some info with my fellow "late" applicants about my interview at UT Memphis two days ago. (I'm 12th batch I guess---app complete on 9/11. DAT was 23, nothing below 21, 3.85 sGPA, 3.6 oGPA, music and science degrees, and this has been my only interview so far. Applied to 10 other schools, no rejections, no invites---but I didn't apply to any private schools, really.)

The dean of admissions, Dr. Covington, stressed to us how overwhelmed with applications they were this year: 1600 applications for 98 slots. He said that the past two years were the first time that UT's dental school surpassed the medical school in competitiveness based on the ratio of 'qualified' applicants to slots available. He said that they actually filled up ALL of their interview dates by August----they added about 3 interview days in November, which they usually don't do, because there were a couple dozen of us that they really wanted to speak with before Dec 1st. They actually don't do post-Dec interviews (who knew?). So yeah, when people tell you that applying early isn't important... well it really depends on the school. For situations like Memphis with no post-Dec action, applying early is supremely important, as confirmed by Dr. Covington. If they hadn't broken tradition and added those November dates, I would have gotten rejected to my state school w/o an interview---all because I pushed my DAT to August 27th and had to wait for it to be processed. Everything else was ready in July.

(Fortunately, despite my family and friend's lackluster descriptions of the city of Memphis, I was really impressed with the school and especially the people, and I would be elated if I could attend. We'll see how it goes. And I'll save on travel money this cycle, right?)

Good luck to everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time i refresh my email I think "Why don't they want me" :( +pity+

Hang in there. If you have the stats and apply to the right schools, I am sure you will receive more interviews. I spent a few hours last night to read through all the threads for 2012-2013 and 2014-2015 cycles. It seems that a lot of school send our more invites in December- March to students who are in the late batch.

I had a nightmare last night about this whole process. In my dream, I got the notes that the people interviewing me took during my interview. They wrote things down like "immature, childish, will never make it into dentistry". I woke up and was like NOOOOOOOOO until I could finally process it was all a dream. Feel like I need therapy after this whole endeavor :rofl:

I had a nightmare last night about this whole process. In my dream, I got the notes that the people interviewing me took during my interview. They wrote things down like "immature, childish, will never make it into dentistry". I woke up and was like NOOOOOOOOO until I could finally process it was all a dream. Feel like I need therapy after this whole endeavor :rofl:
I had nightmares several days in a row.. No kidding. It got better now but my stress and anxiety levels are still high. We do need therapy.

This is nerve racking.. I have interviewed at 4 schools, just got waistlisted from one this morning, haven't heard anything from the rest. Also, received 2 rejections from UConn and Case with no interview. Life sucks!:(

Batch #15 (Oct 2 mail out date)

All applications "under review/complete" since (9/21 - 10/7 * 8 schools). No interviews yet :/

3.91 GPA (non-traditional)
19AA, 23PAT (Reading was 18)

Word of advice to future applicants... Use Interfolio, my professor retired over the summer, and I now need to find a new Chem teacher to write me a LOR for next cycle...

Late application hurts :(
I might start prepare for the next cycle..
Got waitlisted on pre-dec interview and post-dec interview is on the last week of Feb. Silence from 10+ schools.
Still hoping to get interview invites but I'm just so sad and regretting not submitting app early.
Today is just depressing for me but glad to see people getting many acceptances. They earned it

Late application hurts :(
I might start prepare for the next cycle..
Got waitlisted on pre-dec interview and post-dec interview is on the last week of Feb. Silence from 10+ schools.
Still hoping to get interview invites but I'm just so sad and regretting not submitting app early.
Today is just depressing for me but glad to see people getting many acceptances. They earned it
Don't give up hope from those "silent schools"... they are likely to surprise you in the end! There might be interviews opening up later depending on people securing their spots at specific schools...

Batch #15 (Oct 2 mail out date)

All applications "under review/complete" since (9/21 - 10/7 * 8 schools). No interviews yet :/

3.91 GPA (non-traditional)
19AA, 23PAT (Reading was 18)

Word of advice to future applicants... Use Interfolio, my professor retired over the summer, and I now need to find a new Chem teacher to write me a LOR for next cycle...
@beignets

late application indeed hurts a lot. I am batch 15 as well and I got waitlisted at two predecember interviews and one post decemver inerview is 1/8. Got rejected from u conn and asdoh and 15+ silent schools.

As a non native speaker, I guess I need improve on my interview skills. And also I am wondering what can I probabaly do to improve my application ? Next time if I have to reapply I will submit in early June.

Last edited:
@beignets

late application indeed hurts a lot. I am batch 15 as well and I got waitlisted at two predecember interviews and one post decemver inerview is 1/8. Got rejected from u conn and asdoh and 15+ silent schools.

As a non native speaker, I guess I need improve on my interview skills. And also I am wondering what can I probabaly do to improve my application ? Next time if I have to reapply I will submit in early June.
In the EXACT same shoes!!

@beignets

I've been praying all day.. man. I was okay even when I was talking to my mom, but I ended up crying few hours ago (haha embarrassing)
English isn't also my first language. I did mess up with few questions even though it wasn't stress-high interview. I answered all but when I get nervous a lot, I can't just make a full sentence..lol
well, I was about to prepare for my post-dec interview starting from today.
Good luck to you, too ! :) And definitely if we have to reapply, we're submitting before July !

I'm not even "late" and I only had one pre-dec interview and no planned future ones yet.. I submitted July 1st/6th batch. :( Forget submitting before July, submit as soon as the portal opens!