Late Cycle Waistlit Movement - How?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mstpee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to data posted on these forums, it seems that ~10% of the acceptances offered in the previous two cycles happened after May 1st. I was wondering, since the deadline for students to accept/decline an offer is April 30th, how does so much waitlist movement happen that much later in the cycle (like mid May and early June)? Shouldn't everyone have already known where they will be going within the first week of May? After someone withdraws from a school, does the school usually wait a considerable amount of time before accepting another student from the waitlist?@Fencer @Neuronix

Members don't see this ad.

Typically most happens this upcoming week... Some will happen the following week, then, it drops to just a few offers. After May 15, there must be phone conversations between programs when offers are given.

Reactions: 1 user
Now that traffic day has passed, when should those on the waitlist expect to hear news?
My feeling is that we would hear back (if anything) later in the week rather than Monday as the committees would have to spend time to assess the # of declines over the weekend and new spots currently available...

Obviously this is kind've futile / anxious thinking but without any acceptances practically after waiting almost a year..I can't help it :(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would expect the movement to happen earlier in the week (like today and tomorrow) because the people they accept from the wait-list have theoretically two weeks to respond, so it is in the program's interest to give offers as soon as someone withdraws. I could be completely wrong on this though :p