**Late Night Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a FL resident. I've lived in FL all my life and my blood is used to the humidity, but I absolutely loved Philly. It wasn't very cold when I was there, but it was very nice.
No love from LECOM-B? :(

So I take it you're a Heat fan...:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Been a Lebron fan since he was in high school. Can't say I agree with how he handled The Decision or that party the Heat had last year, but he plays hard, he's unselfish and he makes his teammates better.

Not necessarily a Heat fan, but I do like a few of the players on that team besides Lebron.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

I've begun making a list of stuff I need to buy/find/salvage/steal before I move. Also had a problem securing Grad Plus loans from Direct Loans due to an unpaid medical bill I didn't even know about. Got that squared away so I put in an appeal to the Direct Loans servicers. Crossing my fingers they let me go to school. >_>

I went down to Henderson with my fiancee and picked out a place a month ago. She isn't moving with me until she finds a job, unfortunately.
Now that you're married, whats your play in the next month?

We need to be fb friends, I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about a full tuition exemption and a living stipend for DO? :)

I don't normally like hypothetical situations that are unrealistic, but that would be hard to pass up.

No love from LECOM-B? :(

So I take it you're a Heat fan...:rolleyes:

I am accepted to LECOM-B ;)

Don't follow basketball too much, so I am impartial to the Heat. Hockey, lacrosse, and football are my top 3 favorite sports... Contact sports all the way!

If you got a better financial package at a DO school, but also got into an MD what would you do?

DO school. I can't see myself doing anything other than internal medicine so it wouldn't make sense to go further into debt for a path that will ultimately get me to the same end point.

I went down to Henderson with my fiancee and picked out a place a month ago. She isn't moving with me until she finds a job, unfortunately.
Now that you're married, whats your play in the next month?

We need to be fb friends, I think.

I opt'd for on-campus housing immediately after being accepted so I scored a nice studio apartment with dishwasher/washer/dryer + most utilities (minus electricity) for $695/mo (great deal). Like you, my wife isn't coming with me until she finds a good job in the Phoenix area. Luckily she's a RN so she's ballin' and we're gonna do the weekend thing (flights from SD to Phoenix are like $120 round trip) for a while and see how that works out. Just going to try to spend as much time with her as possible from now until July 28th.

I don't have facebook, swear :eek:

I opt'd for on-campus housing immediately after being accepted so I scored a nice studio apartment with dishwasher/washer/dryer + most utilities (minus electricity) for $695/mo (great deal). Like you, my wife isn't coming with me until she finds a good job in the Phoenix area. Luckily she's a RN so she's ballin' and we're gonna do the weekend thing (flights from SD to Phoenix are like $120 round trip) for a while and see how that works out. Just going to try to spend as much time with her as possible from now until July 28th.

I don't have facebook, swear :eek:

You don't have fb?! What are you, 80?? :laugh:

Got myself back into running, I'm doing 4 miles 3 times a week.

Now I'm going to try eccentric training (focuses on negative motions during weight lifting) I saw this study that it significantly boosts nitric oxide throughout the body. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20044475

This is an important parameter that dictates blood flow. I need me some more blood flow.

Got myself back into running, I'm doing 4 miles 3 times a week.

Now I'm going to try eccentric training (focuses on negative motions during weight lifting) I saw this study that it significantly boosts nitric oxide throughout the body. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20044475

This is an important parameter that dictates blood flow. I need me some more blood flow.

... Or you could take Jack3d, but it's now banned. :( I take C4, which is also an NO booster and is a great substitute if you need a good vasodilator.

I need to work out. Can't get myself out of the apartment to do it even if the gym is just down in the basement. fml.

... Or you could take Jack3d, but it's now banned. :( I take C4, which is also an NO booster and is a great substitute if you need a good vasodilator.

I'm not into anything extreme, plus I'm like broke so I can't afford supplements like that. I have a good deal going in that I only pay 10 dollars a month for a full gym membership that's enough for me.

MedPR the gym and you will eventually become acquainted during this cycle. Gym is a great way to burn off stress.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not into anything extreme, plus I'm like broke so I can't afford supplements like that. I have a good deal going in that I only pay 10 dollars a month for a full gym membership that's enough for me.

MedPR the gym and you will eventually become acquainted during this cycle. Gym is a great way to burn off stress.

I hope you're right :)

It's hard to start, I know. It took me two years.

I don't normally like hypothetical situations that are unrealistic, but that would be hard to pass up.

I am accepted to LECOM-B ;)

Don't follow basketball too much, so I am impartial to the Heat. Hockey, lacrosse, and football are my top 3 favorite sports... Contact sports all the way!

Wouldn't it? :)

I think people only hate the Heat because they hate Lebron. And people only hate Lebron because he's good.. oh, and "The Decision" and associated events.

DO school. I can't see myself doing anything other than internal medicine so it wouldn't make sense to go further into debt for a path that will ultimately get me to the same end point.

I don't know.. I've met and talked to a lot of my girlfriend's classmates (M3) and the vast majority of them are interested in something different than they were during M1.

My girlfriend, for example, was interested in ophtho, but now she wants to do GI.

It's hard to start, I know. It took me two years.

If someone put a gun to my head I could probably count the number of times I've worked out since graduating from high school in 2006. Luckily I've only gained about 10 pounds since then. Not sure how I managed that.

:whoa: I just found this thread.

I always thought SDN people slept early.. But I guess they all meet up here after lights out? Now I don't have to do this :bang: all night long.

I always thought SDN people slept early.. But I guess they all meet up here after lights out? Now I don't have to do this :bang: all night long.

I'm currently working a string of night shifts so I'll be on this thread before and after SDN's schedule maintenance at 2 AM PST. Always nice to have friends to keep me awake!

This thread isn't always as popular as I hoped it would be.

So... laptops/ipads/tablets. Need something for note-taking in class. I'm a traditional pen and paper guy, but want to make the switch to digital.

What do?

So... laptops/ipads/tablets. Need something for note-taking in class. I'm a traditional pen and paper guy, but want to make the switch to digital.

What do?

Let the debate start!
I like iPads because they are more compact and sleeker (user friendly) than most tablets. I believe that a tablet may have more options for programs that allow for good note taking however.
I will say that there is an app called notability that is supposed to be pretty good. Let's you take notes or create annotations right on PDFs or (I'm assuming) the lecture graphics in a power point and then sync it all to Dropbox. Never used it though so I dont know how well it works.

Let the debate start!
I like iPads because they are more compact and sleeker (user friendly) than most tablets. I believe that a tablet may have more options for programs that allow for good note taking however.
I will say that there is an app called notability that is supposed to be pretty good. Let's you take notes or create annotations right on PDFs or (I'm assuming) the lecture graphics in a power point and then sync it all to Dropbox. Never used it though so I dont know how well it works.

I love the iPad too.

I think for people switching from paper to digital would usually like the iPad too. If you have the additional money though, I actually think a macbook air is even more useful for notes (the iPad is fun and has apps...having both is optimal, but $$)

For me, using a macbook air with Microsoft office for mac is very efficient and easy. Word for mac has a notebook feature that allows you to record (audio) a lecture while talking notes. Then, when you go back, you can click on a spot in your notes and it will bring up the audio from the time you typed that note. (i.e. make a bullet point when the professor starts a new topic and takes your own notes while recording their lecture) This was you never miss anything. I usually keep a notepad by me as well to draw any models or equations quickly that I can add later (take a pic of it and add to saved notes).

Anyway, this is what i did in undergrad and plan to do in med school as well.

Just one mans opinion though :thumbup:

I love the iPad too.

I think for people switching from paper to digital would usually like the iPad too. If you have the additional money though, I actually think a macbook air is even more useful for notes (the iPad is fun and has apps...having both is optimal, but $$)

For me, using a macbook air with Microsoft office for mac is very efficient and easy. Word for mac has a notebook feature that allows you to record (audio) a lecture while talking notes. Then, when you go back, you can click on a spot in your notes and it will bring up the audio from the time you typed that note. (i.e. make a bullet point when the professor starts a new topic and takes your own notes while recording their lecture) This was you never miss anything. I usually keep a notepad by me as well to draw any models or equations quickly that I can add later (take a pic of it and add to saved notes).

Anyway, this is what i did in undergrad and plan to do in med school as well.

Just one mans opinion though :thumbup:

I've got word on my MacBook pro. What version of word are you using and how do you do the recording lecture audio thing? Never heard of it before!

What do?

Absolutely no reason to get a Mac for any reason other than it looks nicer than PC.

Get something that has a fullsize keyboard and is lightweight. Don't waste your money on something like a Macbook Pro if all you're doing is taking notes and watching lecture.

Was considering a Lenovo X230T. Tablet + Laptop, best of both worlds? Some good reviews on it, especially for medical school students. Can be had for about ~$900 with current 20% off discount. Thoughts?

It really doesn't matter how you take notes, I think. Really, though, going through thousands of slides or ppt printouts is not a good way to retain information. What works is summarizing and writing down key points of each lecture to make it easy to review and remember.
I'm probably gonna get iPad + OneNote (searchable PDF's)

Was considering a Lenovo X230T. Tablet + Laptop, best of both worlds? Some good reviews on it, especially for medical school students. Can be had for about ~$900 with current 20% off discount. Thoughts?

If you're willing to wait around for a good deal, check out sites like techbargains.com and slickdeals.net.

I got a really great laptop deal on slickdeals not too long ago.

Absolutely no reason to get a Mac for any reason other than it looks nicer than PC.

Get something that has a fullsize keyboard and is lightweight. Don't waste your money on something like a Macbook Pro if all you're doing is taking notes and watching lecture.

plenty of other reasons, i.e. performance, programs to run, customer service and how long they last. You can get a macbook air for 900 as a student (or a used one for cheaper). obviously I'd look at either the 13 in macbook air or 13 in macbook pro...both are good and light.

Its a preference, but they do last longer so you technically save money. You can also sell a used mac when no one would buy a used pc.

Last of all, they do have full-sized keyboards (unless you're talking about the 11 in MBA, which has the biggest keyboard of an 11 in)

But, yeah, its preference. (and classiness, and style, and...ok Im biased ;) )

Last edited:
I've got word on my MacBook pro. What version of word are you using and how do you do the recording lecture audio thing? Never heard of it before!

its on all versions of word for the past few years, but a lot of peeps don't know about it. open a new doc and look at the lower left corner. there will be three or so different views, one looking like a notebook. (or just look it up on you tube ;) "notebook view on word for mac"

One more plug for the iPad. you can get a (full-sized) wireless keyboard for the iPad and programs like word and take notes on like a computer and then you'd still have the app store will the great apps. SO many cool study and med apps. (and you can get ipads used too...the warranty transfers with the iPad without receipt, just need the serial number which is etched on the back and in the software)

*much lighter too

plenty of other reasons, i.e. performance, programs to run, customer service and how long they last. You can get a macbook air for 900 as a student (or a used one for cheaper). obviously I'd look at either the 13 in macbook air or 13 in macbook pro...both are good and light.

Its a preference, but they do last longer so you technically save money. You can also sell a used mac when no one would buy a used pc.

Last of all, they do have full-sized keyboards (unless you're talking about the 11 in MBA, which has the biggest keyboard of an 11 in)

But, yeah, its preference. (and classiness, and style, and...ok Im biased ;) )

Not many people buying a Macbook air are going to wait until it breaks to buy a new one, so the "they last longer" argument is moot.

Where can you get a new mb air for $900? Also, you can usually get a PC with equal performance for much cheaper. I've also never had a problem with Dell, Asus, or Lenovo customer service or products. Perhaps I'm biased as well.

However, if there are a bunch of useful med school apps available only for Mac, then perhaps it's worth it as a med student.

I like macs but never found them good w/ games. Of course I have a desktop for my gaming now :D.

This is definitely going to be a tough year for me...MCAT in less than a month and then dealing w/ the waiting game after secondaries. Oh yeah....gonna get married next MAY!!:eek:

Good thing my fiance is a RN, but I am still going to have to get another job to pay for the wedding. Idk how much weddings are anymore...we're thinking a budget of 10k

I like macs but never found them good w/ games. Of course I have a desktop for my gaming now :D.

This is definitely going to be a tough year for me...MCAT in less than a month and then dealing w/ the waiting game after secondaries. Oh yeah....gonna get married next MAY!!:eek:

Good thing my fiance is a RN, but I am still going to have to get another job to pay for the wedding. Idk how much weddings are anymore...we're thinking a budget of 10k

Congrats on getting married!
My wife and I were cheap and did our wedding for about $1500. We had a lot of friends bring dishes to pass and classy stuff like that. Our marriage hasn't suffered at all from it either. Lol

I don't know if it's some type of abstract stress or what but this past week I've been waking up at around 4:00 every morning. Anyone else getting this and know anything to help sleep longer?

I don't know if it's some type of abstract stress or what but this past week I've been waking up at around 4:00 every morning. Anyone else getting this and know anything to help sleep longer?

Funny that you'd mention this. I've been having the same problem until I put a fan in my room. The cool breeze and white noise have totally changed my sleep for the better.

1/2 bottle of NyQuil?

I already own an ipad 1, so I'm debating on whether to pimp it out with keyboard etc or just use my vaio laptop (already own) or buy an X230T for all in one configuration.

What to dooo.. 1st world problems.

Not many people buying a Macbook air are going to wait until it breaks to buy a new one, so the "they last longer" argument is moot.

Where can you get a new mb air for $900? Also, you can usually get a PC with equal performance for much cheaper. I've also never had a problem with Dell, Asus, or Lenovo customer service or products. Perhaps I'm biased as well.

However, if there are a bunch of useful med school apps available only for Mac, then perhaps it's worth it as a med student.

I'm biased towards PC as well. But I do find the performance of Dell XPS to be equally awesome as a Mac. It is slightly on the pricey side of Dell though. But I've had mine for about 2 years with no problems and the warranty is still good on it.

Good luck on the MCAT and congrats on getting married.

Funny that you'd mention this. I've been having the same problem until I put a fan in my room. The cool breeze and white noise have totally changed my sleep for the better.

I did the same exact thing with the fan. But now I can't sleep without the noise. So weird.

I already own an ipad 1, so I'm debating on whether to pimp it out with keyboard etc or just use my vaio laptop (already own) or buy an X230T for all in one configuration.

What to dooo.. 1st world problems.

I read your MDApps profile. Great job last year. Good luck at AZCOM. Its one of my top out of state choices. Next do DMUCOM.

I'm biased towards PC as well. But I do find the performance of Dell XPS to be equally awesome as a Mac. It is slightly on the pricey side of Dell though. But I've had mine for about 2 years with no problems and the warranty is still good on it.

Good luck on the MCAT and congrats on getting married.

I did the same exact thing with the fan. But now I can't sleep without the noise. So weird.

Yea, my opinion on macs is basically that they are overpriced. The majority of the people I know who own macs don't use any of the "mac exclusive" things and are basically just buying a mac because it's the popular thing right now. I'm not closed to buying macs, I just haven't seen anything on one to justify buying one when an equivalent PC can be had for hundreds less.

Macs are nice, but just way out of my price range. For the price of a MacBook i was able to buy a laptop + warranty, a tablet w/keyboard and a smartphone. I think i still saved a few bucks too.

I find that i use my tablet the most for actually in class, for notes, to read, to Web browse and on campus (since its light and battery easily last all day), and use my laptop more like a desktop on my desk at home hooked to a second monitor (dual displays ftw) to watch tv, type reports, do heavy duty stuff which a tablet can't do.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

Last edited:
Macs are nice, but just way our of my price range. For the price of a MacBook i was able to buy a laptop + warranty, a tablet w/keyboard and a smartphone. I think i still saved a few bucks too.

I find that i use my tablet the most for actually in class, for notes, to read, to Web browse and on campus (since its light and battery easily last all day), and use my laptop more like a desktop on my desk at home hooked to a second monitor (dual displays ftw) to watch tv, type reports, do heavy duty stuff which a tablet can't do.

Might even consider buying a tablet/netbook to take notes and also a desktop for home. This is something I'm considering doing if/when I matriculate.

Might even consider buying a tablet/netbook to take notes and also a desktop for home. This is something I'm considering doing if/when I matriculate.

That's a good idea. But i recommend a laptop vs desktop. You can't do everything with a netbook or tablet, so on occasion you may need to take ur laptop places.

If/when i matriculate ima keep my tablet and probably upgrade my laptop as it will be like 5 years old by the time med school starts.

That's a good idea. But i recommend a laptop vs desktop. You can't do everything with a netbook or tablet, so on occasion you may need to take ur laptop places.

If/when i matriculate ima keep my tablet and probably upgrade my laptop as it will be like 5 years old by the time med school starts.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I used a netbook for 2 years and never needed anything else. What kinds of things are you referring to?

Not trying to be argumentative, but I used a netbook for 2 years and never needed anything else. What kinds of things are you referring to?

Oh well i guess it depends on the user and how powerful ur netbook is.

i use Photoshop and other processor and gpu intensive programs. Also i don't have cable so do all my tv watching from laptop and i from my experience flash tends to overwork the processor so need more power for that. Especially with high quality streaming.

Last time i used a netbook was my friend's like two years ago so the newer ones may be better. My friend always complained of lag, running even ms word, and was unable to use adobe connect for his online Kaplan course bc of lag issues. Idk if his experience is typical though or what model he has.

If the netbook has been fulfilling all your needs for two years then you will probably be fine.

Oh well i guess it depends on the user and how powerful ur netbook is.

i use Photoshop and other processor and gpu intensive programs. Also i don't have cable so do all my tv watching from laptop and i from my experience flash tends to overwork the processor so need more power for that. Especially with high quality streaming.

Last time i used a netbook was my friend's like two years ago so the newer ones may be better. My friend always complained of lag, running even ms word, and was unable to use adobe connect for his online Kaplan course bc of lag issues. Idk if his experience is typical though or what model he has.

If the netbook has been fulfilling all your needs for two years then you will probably be fine.

Oh, yea definitely can't watch HD stuff. Photoshop was actually fine for me, but some things like adobe were pretty slow. Worked for school related stuff though.

I don't use it anymore; I've got a laptop now. I am curious about these Mac apps that exist for medical students.

I am curious about these Mac apps that exist for medical students.

Yea me too. Plus i hear most med school apps are for iPad. My tablet is Android so i hope it will suffice.

My sister has an older macbook (those white ones) so if it comes down to really needing mac apps i may just use that (if it can run those).

Yea me too. Plus i hear most med school apps are for iPad. My tablet is Android so i hope it will suffice.

My sister has an older macbook (those white ones) so if it comes down to really needing mac apps i may just use that (if it can run those).

In the grand scheme of things I might just suck it up and get a new Mac something or other if I need it for apps.

Also, just got an (presumably) automated email from MWU. Weird that they would send these out at 3AM.