LECOM Post-Bacc 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted735168

Hello everyone,
noticed there wasn't a thread for the 2016 admission cycle. Feel free to post your questions on here, and discuss the admissions process. I myself will be submitting my app in the next few weeks for the program. Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I am planning to apply to the post-bacc program for 2016, my cum is 3.22 and i will be taking my mcat april 23, I was wondering how guaranteed is the seat in the DO program. I know they only offer guaranteed interview.

cGPA is a 3.2 (without grade replacement, 3.3 cGPA with)
Does anyone know if they take grade replacement for the program? Do they look at just cGPA or sGPA also?
Taking MCAT April 1st. Applying after that score comes in.

My thought is apply early and broad to many DO schools and also apply to a couple post-bacc.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I am planning to apply to the post-bacc program for 2016, my cum is 3.22 and i will be taking my mcat april 23, I was wondering how guaranteed is the seat in the DO program. I know they only offer guaranteed interview.
Are you applying after ur score comes in?

Hello everyone,
noticed there wasn't a thread for the 2016 admission cycle. Feel free to post your questions on here, and discuss the admissions process. I myself will be submitting my app in the next few weeks for the program. Good luck to all!
Do you plan on using an LoR you originally planned for med school or is someone writing one specifically for this program?

Keep above a 3.0 and have above a 24-25 MCAT and you are basically in. They say guaranteed interview but I have read that 90% of LECOM PB students get into the LECOM DO program the following year.

Has anyone completed inquiry for the app and received their username/password? How long does it take after you have submitted name/SSN, etc.?

Hey guys I had a few questions about this program. So I'm currently a senior at Penn State University. I wanted to know how hard to get into the post bacc program itself.
I currently have a 2.85 GPA (cumulative) And my science GPA is around a 2.93. I haven't taken the MCAT'S yet. My plan was to get into this linkage program and I was wondering what my chances are. I have had a few research positions and I've shadowed A podiatrist for a few hours about 50 hours.

I know I need an MCAT score which I plan to take after I graduate and done with undergrad. I plan on building my resume during the two years I'm there or if I have to take a gap year.

Realistically- I'll graduate with at least a 3.0 cumulative or even a 3.1 and Penn State is a pretty reputable school. I know if I get into their 2 year linkage program, I'll work my tail off and make sure I maintain over a 3.0 and possibly take the MCAT's again. Thanks for your help. Don't rip me apart, I've recently figured out how to study for these classes and I've most of my pre-reqs finished. I just need to take the second Ochem, physics and retake the second gen chem!

Saumilllionarie, 15 minutes ago Edit Report
#

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys I had a few questions about this program. So I'm currently a senior at Penn State University. I wanted to know how hard to get into the post bacc program itself.
I currently have a 2.85 GPA (cumulative) And my science GPA is around a 2.93. I haven't taken the MCAT'S yet. My plan was to get into this linkage program and I was wondering what my chances are. I have had a few research positions and I've shadowed A podiatrist for a few hours about 50 hours.

I know I need an MCAT score which I plan to take after I graduate and done with undergrad. I plan on building my resume during the two years I'm there or if I have to take a gap year.

Realistically- I'll graduate with at least a 3.0 cumulative or even a 3.1 and Penn State is a pretty reputable school. I know if I get into their 2 year linkage program, I'll work my tail off and make sure I maintain over a 3.0 and possibly take the MCAT's again. Thanks for your help. Don't rip me apart, I've recently figured out how to study for these classes and I've most of my pre-reqs finished. I just need to take the second Ochem, physics and retake the second gen chem!

Saumilllionarie, 15 minutes ago Edit Report
#
It's a one year program. I am applying with a 3.0 sGPA / 3.2 cGPA. MCAT TBD, taking 1st of April. Lot's of EC's and 5 LOR's. Anyways that's where I am at, hoping to get in for Fall 2016 as back up, if I do not get accepted anywhere upcoming cycle.

Please keep further posts in this thread and not in the 2015-2016 one. Thanks.

Keep above a 3.0 and have above a 24-25 MCAT and you are basically in. They say guaranteed interview but I have read that 90% of LECOM PB students get into the LECOM DO program the following year.

If you have a 23 or higher on the old MCAT, 40th percentile or higher on the new one (which I think is ~500?), or can meet their academic index score (calculated with cGPA and SAT/ACT scores - don't know all the details on that one) and get a 3.0GPA in the program with no failed courses, you are guaranteed an interview. If you have a successful interview, it is very very likely you will be accepted into the DO program. In the past several years combined, I believe only a handful of students meeting the acceptance criteria have not been accepted. This was usually due to bad interview or getting into legal/school trouble during the program.

So it might be accurate to say that 90+% of PB students get into the LECOM DO program the following year, if you are only counting those that successfully completed the program with above a 3.0GPA. Including all students who start the program, this number is closer to 60%. Which is still a strong linkage, but I think it's important that people realize that enrolling in post-bacc isn't a guaranteed path to medical school by any means. For the 40% of students who weren't able to achieve the 3.0 GPA, it generally means either having to spend several additional years doing grade repair, attending a Caribbean school (which I don't recommend), or pursuing a different career. It's truly doable though, if you are willing to fully commit yourself and make studying everyday a priority. Just be ready to hit the ground running, and don't lose focus of what you're there to prove.

Reactions: 3 users
It's a one year program. I am applying with a 3.0 sGPA / 3.2 cGPA. MCAT TBD, taking 1st of April. Lot's of EC's and 5 LOR's. Anyways that's where I am at, hoping to get in for Fall 2016 as back up, if I do not get accepted anywhere upcoming cycle.

Please keep further posts in this thread and not in the 2015-2016 one. Thanks.
I don't think Penns post bacc guarantee and interview or admission! I am really impressed by Penn! Also have you looked at tourocom, Lmu and Campbell?! I want to do the touro masters program but they need all the material by mid april! And my mcat score won't be available before May!

I don't think Penns post bacc guarantee and interview or admission! I am really impressed by Penn! Also have you looked at tourocom, Lmu and Campbell?! I want to do the touro masters program but they need all the material by mid april! And my mcat score won't be available before May!
Wow that's exactly what I was thinking. Might email them and ask if app is all done except pending MCAT score if it's okay. Are you looking into LECOM's at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow that's exactly what I was thinking. Might email them and ask if app is all done except pending MCAT score if it's okay. Are you looking into LECOM's at all?
I am looking into LECOM but there's skepticism about interview to admission. I don't know what to believe!

I am looking into LECOM but there's skepticism about interview to admission. I don't know what to believe!
Can't find any CUSOM info on a linkage program. What are ur stats?

The CUSOM info was given during their presentation in our school. 3.2/3.349 no mcat yet!
Are you applying to linkage programs + applying next cycle? Also I heard LECOM if you have 3.0+ in their post-bacc you basically are in as long as you don't blow the interview.

Are you applying to linkage programs + applying next cycle? Also I heard LECOM if you have 3.0+ in their post-bacc you basically are in as long as you don't blow the interview.
Yes both! But wait some thread about LECOM scared me! I am really interested in Touro!

This whole process is frustrating! Penn offeres the program in spring or summer?

Has anyone completed inquiry for the app and received their username/password? How long does it take after you have submitted name/SSN, etc.?

Ditto^ any answers to this question?

Also, how friendly are they towards OOS? I'm from TX and UNT is my top choice but i'm keeping my options open

Got mine. Started app process. What are ur stats for doing PB?
Just sent the inquiry form today. 3.169 GPA but waiting for grades to post this semester. 494 MCAT. Is there any hope?

Anyone applying for the dental post bacc program?

Just sent the inquiry form today. 3.169 GPA but waiting for grades to post this semester. 494 MCAT. Is there any hope?
Honestly, dunno with that MCAT. GPA is average for program. But MCAT is def low. They usually give it to the 498+ applicant bc that means their score is good enough to matriculate into the DO program. Your score will keep you out of their DO schools even if you 4.0 the program.

Honestly, dunno with that MCAT. GPA is average for program. But MCAT is def low. They usually give it to the 498+ applicant bc that means their score is good enough to matriculate into the DO program. Your score will keep you out of their DO schools even if you 4.0 the program.

I plan on retaking it anyway sometime next year. Thank you though! So, maybe I might get some love from them lol

Got mine. Started app process. What are ur stats for doing PB?
is there any post bacc that i can start in summer? Also i spoke to the middletown recruiter he said, 3.2 and above and 24 MCAT! for tour cali the deadline is June 15, applications starts jan 2, If i apply in jan 2 and send my scores in May? what do you guys think. I am kinda confused which post bacc to do that will lead to DO school. tourocom is the only guaranteed one, although the 3.5 and comprehensive exam is quite vague.

is there any post bacc that i can start in summer? Also i spoke to the middletown recruiter he said, 3.2 and above and 24 MCAT! for tour cali the deadline is June 15, applications starts jan 2, If i apply in jan 2 and send my scores in May? what do you guys think. I am kinda confused which post bacc to do that will lead to DO school. tourocom is the only guaranteed one, although the 3.5 and comprehensive exam is quite vague.
They all "lead" to DO school as long as you complete the requirements. I like LECOM bc it's a mid tier school, only need a 3.0, and it's midwest/east coast which is a regional preference of mine. I'm not even totally sure I want to do it. If I crush my MCAT in April honestly I could get in somewhere I think even with a 3.2 bc my EC's are quite good, same with LOR's, and I'll be applying as early as possible and also very very broadly (24+ schools). The post-bacc idea is just something I'm brainstorming and might as well summit a $50 dollar app if my MCAT doesn't turn out as high as I'd hope. Plus it would help crush first year of med school.

Do they require an interview to be accepted? I am having trouble finding this out from the website.

They all "lead" to DO school as long as you complete the requirements. I like LECOM bc it's a mid tier school, only need a 3.0, and it's midwest/east coast which is a regional preference of mine. I'm not even totally sure I want to do it. If I crush my MCAT in April honestly I could get in somewhere I think even with a 3.2 bc my EC's are quite good, same with LOR's, and I'll be applying as early as possible and also very very broadly (24+ schools). The post-bacc idea is just something I'm brainstorming and might as well summit a $50 dollar app if my MCAT doesn't turn out as high as I'd hope. Plus it would help crush first year of med school.
Do you mind sharing your EC?
I been volunteering at Beth Israel for like a year and another shadowing experience ( I have been a medical rep at the same clinic for 4 years, idk how should I mention it?), also community service with newyork cares and a community center. I will be involved in two separate researches in the spring! I am not sure how good is it? I am always degrading myself :(

Do you mind sharing your EC?
I been volunteering at Beth Israel for like a year and another shadowing experience ( I have been a medical rep at the same clinic for 4 years, idk how should I mention it?), also community service with newyork cares and a community center. I will be involved in two separate researches in the spring! I am not sure how good is it? I am always degrading myself :(
My EC's
- Shadowed 1 MD oral surgeon, 1 MD urologist, 1 DO neurologist
- Volunteer in ER
- Volunteer in (different hospital) ER
- Volunteer in Radiology
- Community Service (St' Leo's soup kitchen, Haven House, Gleaners Food Bank, Forgotten Harvest)
- Human relations committee for Human Bio Club
- Philanthropy committee for my fraternity
- Judicial Board for my fraternity
- Captain for my fraternity soccer team since Freshman year (basically started the team again after years of not having one)
- Italian language tutor in the Italian Club for new Italian students at school
- Research: Narrative Assessment Project (administered comprehensive reading and writing tests on children 3-6 years old)
- Work every summer for pizzeria since High School

I think you need more leadership roles and then you should be good especially with those two research opportunities

Submitted my app yesterday. Have yet to send in LoR and transcripts. MCAT won't be sent until late April/early May.

My EC's
- Shadowed 1 MD oral surgeon, 1 MD urologist, 1 DO neurologist
- Volunteer in ER
- Volunteer in (different hospital) ER
- Volunteer in Radiology
- Community Service (St' Leo's soup kitchen, Haven House, Gleaners Food Bank, Forgotten Harvest)
- Human relations committee for Human Bio Club
- Philanthropy committee for my fraternity
- Judicial Board for my fraternity
- Captain for my fraternity soccer team since Freshman year (basically started the team again after years of not having one)
- Italian language tutor in the Italian Club for new Italian students at school
- Research: Narrative Assessment Project (administered comprehensive reading and writing tests on children 3-6 years old)
- Work every summer for pizzeria since High School

I think you need more leadership roles and then you should be good especially with those two research opportunities

Submitted my app yesterday. Have yet to send in LoR and transcripts. MCAT won't be sent until late April/early May.
Would you need recommendations from all of them?

Just applied the other day. Sent transcripts today (won't be there until mid Jan). Working on getting LoR from old prof (hopefully 1 out of 3 I emailed agrees to write me a second letter, they all wrote me a DO letter last year). MCAT won't be sent until late April.

Where's everyone else at?

Hey everyone, I applied last year super late just a few days before the deadline and was not accepted. I didn't really expect to get in since I had to hurry and finish the application since I had just found out about it at the time. But this year I am ready to go ahead and submit my application early. I was just wondering if I need to re-submit my transcripts, LOR, and MCAT scores? Or is this stuff still on my file?

Do you plan on using an LoR you originally planned for med school or is someone writing one specifically for this program?
I plan on using the same letters, I haven't asked for separate letters program specific (not yet anyways). Aside from saying post-bacc program instead of medical school I'm not sure if the content otherwise would differ if I ask for separate letters, so I don't see a point.

Don't quote me on this, but I've heard from several previous year applicants that they take the score that's released in may (but not the mcat taken in may with june scores). I would contact the individual program directors and verify to make sure

Hey everyone, I applied last year super late just a few days before the deadline and was not accepted. I didn't really expect to get in since I had to hurry and finish the application since I had just found out about it at the time. But this year I am ready to go ahead and submit my application early. I was just wondering if I need to re-submit my transcripts, LOR, and MCAT scores? Or is this stuff still on my file?
yeah I'd contact Jamie. I read in previous year thread that they were able to use info submitted through medical app into the post bacc, so I don't see why not. But get the okay from Jamie!

I plan on using the same letters, I haven't asked for separate letters program specific (not yet anyways). Aside from saying post-bacc program instead of medical school I'm not sure if the content otherwise would differ if I ask for separate letters, so I don't see a point.
There's specific instructions for what LoR should include. Ended up emailing 3 of my sci prof that wrote me med school letters to see if they are up to writing a post-bac letter for me. You may want to look into that.

There's specific instructions for what LoR should include. Ended up emailing 3 of my sci prof that wrote me med school letters to see if they are up to writing a post-bac letter for me. You may want to look into that.
oooh I didn't even realize that, good call. thanks for the info!!!

So just wondering if anyone has any idea what this means....

"Applicants may be evaluated by using an Academic Index Score (AIS) rather than an MCAT in order to be considered for the program. This is calculated by using an SAT (math/reading) OR an ACT score combined with an overall undergraduate GPA."

It's on their website, I was just wondering if I need to take the MCAT for admission?

Any help would be great!

Regardless, you should def take MCAT before applying bc you will need it for matriculation

Regardless, you should def take MCAT before applying bc you will need it for matriculation

I'm just undecided in the path I want to go, I know it's pre-health but I need a post-bacc program for a GPA enhancer. That's why I'm trying to determine if I need the MCAT for this program or not.

Hello everyone,

I am currently A Post bacc student at LECOM and would like to try my best right now to shine some light on the program for you. Like many of you, I was confused as to if I should attend LECOM or not and posts from students at the time helped me a lot!

I am half-way finished and have great things to say about the program. For starters, we are required to maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 to be guaranteed an interview. This is the part that worried me a bit when applying, but you should be calm about this because as long as you get your 3.0 and do not get in trouble with the law- you should totally get a seat at their medical school. I was also worried about making the 3.0, but let me tell you that it is not difficult at all! I study every single day and work extremely hard and did awesome this semester. Some of the people i know will not be returning next semester, because they didn't do well enough, or because they failed a class but that shouldn't discourage you because as long as you're willing to study hard- its extremely do-able!

Our classes are every day from 2p-6p. This gives us ample time during the day to study and do other things we need to do. LECOM does require you to dress professionally every day, which was annoying at first but now I dont mind it at all. Exams are roughly every 2-3 weeks and our professors are all extremely helpful. This program is made for us to succeed- we just have to want it hard enough

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Hello everyone,

I am currently A Post bacc student at LECOM and would like to try my best right now to shine some light on the program for you. Like many of you, I was confused as to if I should attend LECOM or not and posts from students at the time helped me a lot!

I am half-way finished and have nothing but great things to say about the program. For starters, we are required to maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 to be guaranteed an interview. This is the part that worried me a bit when applying, but you should be calm about this because as long as you get your 3.0 and do not get in trouble with the law- you should totally get a seat at their medical school. I was also worried about making the 3.0, but let me tell you that it is not difficult at all! I study every single day and work extremely hard and did fantastic this semester - 4As and 2Bs. Some of the people i know will not be returning next semester, because they didn't do well enough, or because they failed a class but that shouldn't discourage you because as long as you're willing to study hard- its extremely do-able!

Our classes are every day from 2p-6p. This gives us ample time during the day to study and do other things we need to do. LECOM does require you to dress professionally every day, which was annoying at first but now I dont mind it at all. Exams are roughly every 2-3 weeks and our professors are all extremely helpful. This program is made for us to succeed- we just have to want it hard enough

My interview is on January 27th and im hoping everything goes well! I hope that I was able to answer some questions any of you had! Good Luck!
Thank you for the post. A few more questions, what were ur admitted stats into program? When do you have to claim seat for program by? Is not having a car an issue? What are your thoughts on applying to other DO schools while doing this program? Sorry for bombardment of questions, thanks again!