LECOM Post-Bacc 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
They only guarantee an interview, not a seat. But, as you said, you get a 3.0 and give them no reason to not accept you, then your golden.

That's what word on the street says. Which seems too good of a deal to be true.

Have u seen anyone get a 3.0 and not get accepted?

I've posted on here before (I was part of last year's post bac), but to answer your question, I know of at least one person who had the 3.0 but didn't get accepted. He was an a**hole though.

But if you meet all of the other requirements and you have a decent interview - it's a really chill interview - then you'll have a spot. Depending on what your GPA is, you'll get an additional letter either a week after the interview or during second semester.

Hopefully your finals went well. Post bac will help during your first year of med school for sure though if anyone's wondering; it's helping me a lot.

Last edited:
Hey anyone here who is currently in the program mind sharing their thoughts on the first semester?
Was your GPA what you thought it was going to be?

Hey anyone here who is currently in the program mind sharing their thoughts on the first semester?
Was your GPA what you thought it was going to be?
I ended up with a 3.87 GPA. Could have gotten a 4.0, if it wasn't for micro. Hardest courses are physiology, biochem, and microbiology. The other courses are fairly easy to get an A. Rarely used the textbook to study, mostly powerpoints. The final can be difficult because of the limited amount of time you have to study. Make sure to do well in the easy courses, they will lift your GPA if you're struggling in the hard courses.

Not seen, but it has happened a few times, even to 4.0 students. Usually it is related to alcohol in some way.

I ended up with a 3.87 GPA. Could have gotten a 4.0, if it wasn't for micro. Hardest courses are physiology, biochem, and microbiology. The other courses are fairly easy to get an A. Rarely used the textbook to study, mostly powerpoints. The final can be difficult because of the limited amount of time you have to study. Make sure to do well in the easy courses, they will lift your GPA if you're struggling in the hard courses.

nice job!

did most students receive this high of a gpa?

Reactions: 1 user
nice job!

did most students receive this high of a gpa?
I'm not exactly sure. Speaking with those sitting around me, they had 3.0 to 3.3 GPAs. I think a handful of students out of the whole class got a 4.0. I'm speculating though.

Anyone heard anything back yet? I haven't heard a peep from LECOM since I applied.

Anyone heard anything back yet? I haven't heard a peep from LECOM since I applied.

I have been under review since 11/30 and also still waiting! I called today and was told that they just started to review applications and we will hear back this month

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take for you guys to receive application credentials?

I have a feeling that with the whole grade replacement debacle, this program is gonna get filled up quick

When you apply to the post bacc do they look at your undergrad transcript GPA? or like ACCOMAS GPA considering all grades are averaged now?

Like AACOMAS
Damn. Any idea if a high mCAT would be able to offset a low gpa like 2.70 in getting into the postbacc? According to their site it seems you need at least a 2.70 to even apply does that mean below it your auto-screened out or does every application actually get looked at?

They only guarantee an interview, not a seat. But, as you said, you get a 3.0 and give them no reason to not accept you, then your golden.

Sorry if this was asked before but how do they decide whether to accept you after the interview if you haven't finished the whole program yet? How soon do you get notified after the interview?

Sorry if this was asked before but how do they decide whether to accept you after the interview if you haven't finished the whole program yet? How soon do you get notified after the interview?

If you have a high GPA, you should get it within two weeks depending on which pathway you choose. For me, I got a 4.0 during first semester so I got my letter within a week and a half. If you're closer to the cutoff, then they may wait until closer to the end of second semester to get it. It's a conditional acceptance though so if you fail a class or get below 3.0 by the time second semester is done, they revoke your acceptance.

Damn. Any idea if a high mCAT would be able to offset a low gpa like 2.70 in getting into the postbacc? According to their site it seems you need at least a 2.70 to even apply does that mean below it your auto-screened out or does every application actually get looked at?

I think LECOM does a good job of choosing you based on your well-roundedness. I got in with a 2.8 GPA and a 25 MCAT so if your stats are mine, you should be fine.

Does anyone happen to know how fast do you hear back after the interview? is it based off your GPA in the post bacc, so the higher it is the faster you'll get the conditional acceptance? is it same for the dental track people?

I noticed that on the letter of recommendation, they wanted the last 4 of social on it? My letter writer already wrote his letter and gave it to Interfolio for me to give to different programs. Am I going to have to have him re-do the letter with that on it, or do you think that they could let that slide? It's pretty much the only thing holding me back from applying.

Accepted this morning!
@kelminak I used letters from interfolio without my SSN and they didn't seem to have an issue with it.

Accepted this morning!
@kelminak I used letters from interfolio without my SSN and they didn't seem to have an issue with it.

Oh nice! Thank you for the info and congratulations!! I'll warp-speed fill out the app and see what happens.

Is the GPA requirement to matriculate into Lecom met/dent school still a 3.0 or has it gone up?

I just noticed LECOM has very specific instructions for their LOR. Did everyone forward the questions to their letter writer? I'm planning on using the same LOR that I used for apply to med schools. Will that be a problem?

Finally got the acceptance letter :) look forward to seeing new classmates come Fall 2017!

I just noticed LECOM has very specific instructions for their LOR. Did everyone forward the questions to their letter writer? I'm planning on using the same LOR that I used for apply to med schools. Will that be a problem?
No that should not be a problem at all! The Post Bac committee was able to use all of LoR's, etc. from my initial AACOMAS application. The only thing extra required on your part would be to address and submit the personal statement question on the Post Bac application. That is all I had to do for the most part and within a couple of weeks, I received my acceptance letter just now :) so grateful to just even be a part of this wonderful experience (no matter how trying the road may be)

No that should not be a problem at all! The Post Bac committee was able to use all of LoR's, etc. from my initial AACOMAS application. The only thing extra required on your part would be to address and submit the personal statement question on the Post Bac application. That is all I had to do for the most part and within a couple of weeks, I received my acceptance letter just now :) so grateful to just even be a part of this wonderful experience (no matter how trying the road may be)

Can you talk about your experience in the program? If you don't mind what were your undergrad stats? Is is okay for me to letters of rec from a doctor and psychology professor than a science prof? Thanks & Congrats!

Oh btw sorry didn't see that previous part.
Excellent program, you could pm me for more. Def. prepared me for MS1 and helped me get into the program most importantly.
I didn't have super stats, I had like a upper 3.3 overall and 3.4ish science gpa. But I had a lot of extracurriculars that helped, i.e: 70 hrs DO shadowing, over 500 hours hospital volunteering, over 800 hours community service, experience as a health care professional, some research experience.

You have similar stats as me and great extracurriculars. why didnt you apply to DO schools directly? did u end up applying to other schools besides LECOM?

I did the postbac, graduated med school last week! Fun stuff!

I did the postbac, graduated med school last week! Fun stuff!

wohoo good for you! How was your post bacc experience? how hard was it? did u apply to other DO schools?

wohoo good for you! How was your post bacc experience? how hard was it? did u apply to other DO schools?

Hard but doable. Yea I applied to few schools & got accepted but chose to stay at Lecom. The only BS thing about school is dress code and endless emails lol...otherwise I enjoyed my time there, pretty decent preclinical and clinical education

Hey how long was your PS for the post bac app?

Can you guys tell me your stats for getting into post bacc.? Im currently trying to bring my gpa up and im at a 2.90 (got a f for a class I took in high school due to medical reasons) my semester gpa has been 2.8,3.0,3.1,and 3.4. I am still only a sophomore in college so I believe I can get it up to a 3.0 .