LECOM Post-Bacc 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for the post. A few more questions, what were ur admitted stats into program? When do you have to claim seat for program by? Is not having a car an issue? What are your thoughts on applying to other DO schools while doing this program? Sorry for bombardment of questions, thanks again!

When I applied to the program I had MCAT 26 sGPA 3.4 overall GPA 3.6, and If I remember correctly when you are accepted they give you a deadline of when you need to send the $50 in by. I would do it right away, since its just $50.
I have a car there which is helpful, but I have many friends who don't have cars, if you live in the apartments right across the street from school I wouldn't think its a problem at all- As long as you make friends that can drive you when you absolutely need to go somewhere, which im sure you will!
I've already applied to medical school last cycle, so I when I saw I was doing well at LECOM I decided I was content and didn't apply anywhere else. However, I think this is a great program to do in your gap year while you're applying to other schools.. I know many people who have done that, gotten into a different school and aren't coming back next semester. I also know people who have applied and haven't gotten any other interviews so its a good thing they have LECOM to fall back on.

Hope that helped!

Members don't see this ad.

I am half-way finished and have nothing but great things to say about the program.

Exams are roughly every 2-3 weeks and our professors are all extremely helpful.

Okay, said I'd elaborate on this so here goes.

I DO recommend this program to anyone that needs it; it will absolutely prepare you for medical school, and doing well will practically guarantee you entry into LECOM. I just want people to be prepared for the fact that LECOM is most definitely a unique school. Everybody rags on them for the no water thing, and whether or not you think it's a big deal (I for one don't) almost everyone can agree that it's just a strange policy to have, and that's how a lot of stuff here is, just strange.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently in the program as well. After having completed the first semester and finally having a nice long break I can honestly say that this program is by no means perfect.

Just like any other program you'll have people who totally hate it or totally love it. Please forgive me, but during lecture I have classmates complaining left/right/front/back about the most stupidest things and I don't think they are deserving of the seat that they have. I'm in the middle.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently in the program as well. After having completed the first semester and finally having a nice long break I can honestly say that this program is by no means perfect.

Just like any other program you'll have people who totally hate it or totally love it. Please forgive me, but during lecture I have classmates complaining left/right/front/back about the most stupidest things and I don't think they are deserving of the seat that they have. I'm in the middle.

If any prospective LECOM post-bacc students have an questions please feel free to PM me.

For sure! of course its not perfect, but im grateful for the opportunity this program gives us

you all can feel free to PM me as well if youd like!

@FortheWIN_DO and @r1123, thanks for offering to answer questions.

I've seen the curriculum online but I am curious about a few things that are not so clear:

1. Do any of the classes have a lab portion?

2. Do your grades come entirely from lecture examinations? Or are there grades from research style papers, similar assignments, etc. as well?

Last edited:
@r1123 @FortheWIN_DO

Don't misunderstand me, I'm grateful to be there as well, and I like said you can achieve your goals by doing the peogram, but I'm not about to pretend that there's not a good deal wrong with the way things get done.

Last edited:
When I applied to the program I had MCAT 26 sGPA 3.4 overall GPA 3.6, and If I remember correctly when you are accepted they give you a deadline of when you need to send the $50 in by. I would do it right away, since its just $50.
I have a car there which is helpful, but I have many friends who don't have cars, if you live in the apartments right across the street from school I wouldn't think its a problem at all- As long as you make friends that can drive you when you absolutely need to go somewhere, which im sure you will!
I've already applied to medical school last cycle, so I when I saw I was doing well at LECOM I decided I was content and didn't apply anywhere else. However, I think this is a great program to do in your gap year while you're applying to other schools.. I know many people who have done that, gotten into a different school and aren't coming back next semester. I also know people who have applied and haven't gotten any other interviews so its a good thing they have LECOM to fall back on.

Hope that helped!

your stats were actually good for the DO program? you didn't apply to the any DO school. it is bit worrisome as my sGPA is 3.2

my sgpa and cgpa are both hovering btwn 3.0 and 3.1. I have yet to take the mcat and I also have one semester of undergrad left. Plan on working really hard this next semester. i hope to bring my grades up to 3.1x - 3.2. my ECs are shadowing/volunteering/leadership positions but no research. I am scoring at the 512-515 mark on the mcat right now through kaplan practice tests.

Assuming I do bring my gpa up to a 3.1x- 3.2 and I receive a score of 510+, do you think it would be okay to apply at the end of the semester (end of may). I know i am already at a disadvantage with crappy stats, but will applying in may be okay? I don't know if I am rushing my application or not.

In addition, I have a question about the LOR requirement. How strict are they with whether it is a letter written by a science professor? I am a sociology major, and so i am on friendly terms with several professors but absolutely no science professors.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
my sgpa and cgpa are both hovering btwn 3.0 and 3.1. I have yet to take the mcat and I also have one semester of undergrad left. Plan on working really hard this next semester. i hope to bring my grades up to 3.1x - 3.2. my ECs are shadowing/volunteering/leadership positions but no research. I am scoring at the 512-515 mark on the mcat right now through kaplan practice tests.

Assuming I do bring my gpa up to a 3.1x- 3.2 and I receive a score of 510+, do you think it would be okay to apply at the end of the semester (end of may). I know i am already at a disadvantage with crappy stats, but will applying in may be okay? I don't know if I am rushing my application or not.

In addition, I have a question about the LOR requirement. How strict are they with whether it is a letter written by a science professor? I am a sociology major, and so i am on friendly terms with several professors but absolutely no science professors.
If you score that high of an MCAT, no need to do this post-bacc program IMO

Anyone get any updates yet? My file is under review, however my LoR or MCAT have not been sent in. MCAT won't be in until May and LoR I am still trying to get into contact with teachers that originally wrote my med school letters. Cheers to the New Year.

app is officially complete (LOR, Transcript, MCAT) and under review as of today. Is everyone only submitting the one science LOR? I have a few more I'd love to use, but it seems like they don't really encourage more than 1... Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
app is officially complete (LOR, Transcript, MCAT) and under review as of today. Is everyone only submitting the one science LOR? I have a few more I'd love to use, but it seems like they don't really encourage more than 1... Good luck to everyone!
Mine is under review as well but it's strange bc I don't have LoR or MCAT in yet. What are your stats?

I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to ayudar's question regarding the LoR. I currently have a science professor to ask which had originally written me a LoR yet I have been working as a research study coordinator under a Physician in a hospital. I was wondering if I would be able to use the letter from my PI instead of the science professor to complete the LoR requirement.

I also had a question regarding MCAT scores. I took the old MCAT on January 2015, so a year ago. Technically that score should be usable for around 3 years correct? So would I not have to retake the MCAT for the program?

I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to ayudar's question regarding the LoR. I currently have a science professor to ask which had originally written me a LoR yet I have been working as a research study coordinator under a Physician in a hospital. I was wondering if I would be able to use the letter from my PI instead of the science professor to complete the LoR requirement.

I also had a question regarding MCAT scores. I took the old MCAT on January 2015, so a year ago. Technically that score should be usable for around 3 years correct? So would I not have to retake the MCAT for the program?
On app it says science prof LoR and gives specific instructions of what letter should include. Yes, your old MCAT should be fine.

If you score that high of an MCAT, no need to do this post-bacc program IMO

I would have to disagree. I've applied to the DO program twice with a 3.45/3.15/28 with decent EC, lots of shadowing, and a DO reference and have never been offered an interview at LECOM (I did get three at other DO schools last year)

Of course this is purely anecdotal but I think a post-bacc would be in their best interest as to not waste a year to fruitless applications.

Last edited:
I would have to disagree. I've applied to the DO program twice with a 3.45/3.15/28 with decent EC, lots of shadowing, and a DO reference and have never been offered an interview at LECOM (I did get three at other DO schools last year)

Of course this is purely anecdotal but I think a post-bacc would be in their best interest as to not waste a year to fruitless applications.
I understand. I will be applying to DO schools regardless if I get into program or not. My thoughts are similar to yours however, might as well be doing this post-bacc during the year to enter LECOM's program start of Fall 2017, in case no acceptances else where are granted.

The poster we were talking about said if he scores 510+ (30+ MCAT). With that MCAT paired with a 3.o+ GPA, solid EC's, DO LoR, I think he will get love from places and land an acceptance somewhere, if not multiple places. I am not saying LECOM would be that place but who knows. Personally if I were to score that high I would ride my luck and relax all year before heading off to med school.

I understand. I will be applying to DO schools regardless if I get into program or not. My thoughts are similar to yours however, might as well be doing this post-bacc during the year to enter LECOM's program start of Fall 2017, in case no acceptances else where are granted.

The poster we were talking about said if he scores 510+ (30+ MCAT). With that MCAT paired with a 3.o+ GPA, solid EC's, DO LoR, I think he will get love from places and land an acceptance somewhere, if not multiple places. I am not saying LECOM would be that place but who knows. Personally if I were to score that high I would ride my luck and relax all year before heading off to med school.
What do you think of VCOM and its post bacc? Are you applying there?

I haven't really looked into VCOM but their 3.6+ seems steep compared to LECOM's 3.0 to gain admission into respective DO programs. Applying to both LECOM and PCOM.

"The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days." Anyone else get this status update?

"The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days." Anyone else get this status update?

I got the same update and was complete 01/06. Hoping for good news!

Will I not be complete until after my MCAT exam gets to them around May?

AIS = ACT/SAT score?

Didn't we just record number we got? Couldn't someone just put any number in there though?

So you are saying I will be complete once my LoR gets to them?

any further updates? My app was finished on the 7th and says its still under review. Ahh this process is excited yet very nerve-wracking

What is a competitive AIS? Anyone else doing this? I am using my AIS score until I can send in my MCAT in early May.

I think if you were to happen to get a 510+. You are a thousand times better off doing a nontraditional post bacc and retake your poor classes and apply next cycle.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

talked to someone that was in the program before he said once your app is complete it usually takes a month to get a decision

DO they calculate GPA with or without grade replacement?

Decided I will apply to this program this week, I hope I'm not tooooooo late :( Anyone in the Dental track here?

Hey guys,

I'm trying to apply to LECOM and I was wondering if it's a bad thing to say on the essay that you are using this program to help you get into med school. I really don't know how I can sound good to the admins and be truthful for the essay prompt. Thank you.

When did you submit your application?

Hey guys,

I'm trying to apply to LECOM and I was wondering if it's a bad thing to say on the essay that you are using this program to help you get into med school. I really don't know how I can sound good to the admins and be truthful for the essay prompt. Thank you.

this program is really attractive only if you want to go to LECOM, or potentially another DO program, so in your essay talk about why this program in particular will help you become a more educated, influential doctor of osteopathy. talk about any experience you have in healthcare, potentially with DOs, and how this program will allow you to address and overcome any weaknesses in your application. of course describe "Why you want to be doctor." Go beyond just "wanting to help people" and talk about how this program will allow you to reach your dream. Be honest, be convincing, and support your passion with facts! If you say you are committed to helping the underserved, then you better have proof. If you talk about how being a doctor is all you want to do in life and it's your dream, have you made an effort to corroborate your aspiration (shadowing, volunteering, employment in healthcare field) and confirm that THIS IS IT for you? They want to see that you're in it for the long run. They want to help you get there, but they just need to know that you have the determination and inspiration to get there. If you wanna talk about it more or need someone to proofread, message me. Wish you the best of luck!

I am applying to VCOM's program also. Although they do have a higher GPA requirement, it seems like a really great program. I know that as part of the program, you get to go on a medical outreach trip, which I think is pretty great!

Mine was processed on 12/15, so hopefully I'll hear something soon! And again congratulations!
Good luck :)
Did your status change? I believe mine changed last week so maybe yours did too!
Also, I think these were the first acceptances sent out so theres many more to come. My brother received his acceptance with 3.2 GPA and 27 MCAT in late June a couple of years ago.

Just got my acceptance letter!
submitted 12/15.
cGPA: 3.05, MCAT: 23, URM

Reactions: 3 users
Good luck :)
Did your status change? I believe mine changed last week so maybe yours did too!
Also, I think these were the first acceptances sent out so theres many more to come. My brother received his acceptance with 3.2 GPA and 27 MCAT in late June a couple of years ago.

Thanks! And I just checked and it still says under review. So hopefully it will change soon!

Accepted. One step closer to becoming a doctor.

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted! Complete on 1/6. Any reasons to go to another program over this one?

Reactions: 1 users
Any1 know the housing situation in Erie? Do apartments fill up quickly?