Letter of Recommendation from Doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey everybody
I would appreciate some advice
I have been working in a clinic for a year now and have shadowed a doctor there about 5-6 times, so I was wondering if I should ask him for a letter of recommendation. He is a very respectful and nice person so would it be a good idea to ask him for an LOR? I haven't had many chances to directly assist him with clinic duties.

Members don't see this ad.

So what could he say about you and your qualities for med school if you “ haven’t had many chances to directly assist him with clinical duties”? And FYI there are only a few Md schools that look for a physician letter. DO schools like them especially if the letter is from a DO.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everybody
I would appreciate some advice
I have been working in a clinic for a year now and have shadowed a doctor there about 5-6 times, so I was wondering if I should ask him for a letter of recommendation. He is a very respectful and nice person so would it be a good idea to ask him for an LOR? I haven't had many chances to directly assist him with clinic duties.
If that's your real name, I suggest changing it to preserve anonymity.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what could he say about you and your qualities for med school if you “ haven’t had many chances to directly assist him with clinical duties”? And FYI there are only a few Md schools that look for a physician letter. DO schools like them especially if the letter is from a DO.
I mean I have been shadowing him for some time and I have sometimes helped him with additional blood draws and assisting with 1 bone marrow biopsy procedure but that's about it. I am planning MD so was thinking if a physician letter is worth it.

I am planning MD so was thinking if a physician letter is worth it.
It is not. Focus on getting 2 letters from science faculty and 1 from a non-science faculty member. These satisfy most letter requirements and schools would prefer you refrain from sending extra letters that do not elaborate on previously unmentioned aspects of you.

You could add a PI letter or a letter from someone you more closely work under (such as a nurse or whoever is supervising you at the clinic).

Reactions: 2 users