Letter of Recommendation Issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mstpgrind

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I have a good relationship with 2 of my professors. However, some of the schools I am applying to require 3 letters of recommendation.
How bad would it to have a letter of recommendation that basically says:

Dear [admission office]

mstpgrind took [class] with me. He/She got an A

I know it won't boost my application, but I just need to get a letter to fulfill the school's requirements. My question is, will it hurt my application?

Members don't see this ad.

It reflects poorly if you choose somebody who you have not built a relationship with. It would be a good idea to meet with your letter writer and discuss your goals and CV so they can write a more substantial letter than 2-3 sentences.

Frankly, a letter that just parrots what you have on your CV and PS might be longer but no more informative than what @mstpgrind wrote in the first post. There are those huge state schools where this type of letter is typical and not surprising given course enrollment/class size. Having one of the three letters be "meh" won't help but it won't hurt. If you are mstp, you know that you must have a letter from each PI, too.

Reactions: 1 user