Letters of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandak

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I send materials to my letter-writers, do they need a list of schools I am applying to, or is there a generic electronic system they put it in? And do I need to have the application started or anything sent in to the schools before they can start their letters or something?

The whole process is confusing. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You are applying to doctoral programs? This may be 'old school' but, out of organizational courtesy, I sent each of my recommenders a nice thank-you-in-advance letter w/ a list of schools attached, and self-addressed stamped envelopes for each school I was applying (I had 4 recommenders and 10 programs so it was time-consuming). Some programs may still require official letterhead from each advisor and require him/her to sign along the back seal of envelope (most know to do this, especially if it is a college professor), but the recommender can certainly use your plain, self-addressed envelope.

I only know of a mass electronic system for uploading rec letters when you get to APPIC internship phase, and then you'd have to get your app electronically started before reaching out to recommender (APPIC sends an emails saying 'upload here' on your behalf).

So begins your phase of making sure all your "i's" are dotted, all "t's" are crossed so to speak...I highly recommend no typeos anywhere! :)

Good luck!

Last edited:
There are two kinds of schools from those I've applied to. One kind asks you to input the referees' names and immediately sends them an email with a link to submit their letter. The other kind asks you to enter their details and will only send them an email after you submit the whole application. When they submit their letter, they will send you a notification as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of this is electronic now (auto generated email sent to the writers with a link to a portal where the letters are uploaded).

But yes, I would send an excel file with a list of schools, the program (assuming you are not applying to a single type of program), and the name of your potential mentor(s) at each site (if applicable). Kicking in a $5 gift card for an on campus coffee place with your thank you note, although not at all necessary, could be a nice gesture that facilitates the process of your letters being submitted.

Man, it has been a long time since I applied and has changed a lot. I suppose the paperless method is the way to go. Saves trees. Regardless, still seems tedious so leave plenty of time for your recommenders to get it there before deadlines. Some programs won't advance your applications from the graduate Dept to psych Dept until everything is complete.