LGBT and DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yah.. their called nations.
Honestly, support groups and groups in general are the foundation of democracy and basic civilization.

Your logic is flawed, I assume everything is based on groups if we are considering a group more than one person. How we moved to the formations of nations is beyond me.

Put down the goverment textbook
and stop reading

Members don't see this ad.

You would feel that way, because you're not gay or coming out. But ask someone who just came out or has been gay for years how they feel about the groups and they'll say that it's great and that they were helped. It's not just about "real life". I'm pretty sure they realize that it's real life they're living but it's not so simple to live it when **** like Prop 9 gets overturned because people aren't ready to see two women or two men who actually love each other get married. That's why it's good to have those groups. And when people finally accept that being gay/lesbian/bi/whatever is not a decision you make, and that they are just as normal as everyone else, then maybe those groups will not be needed.

I'm speaking from the context of a medical school education, how do these groups help in terms of medical school. Like it has been said above it's not an issue in school, so therefore I don't think it serves a purpose in a school setting. Now if you want to discuss it at starbucks or wherever fine. I just hope the group isn't being funded by the school.

Relegion and politics aside- if you want to form a group out of school then fine go ahead, but until legislation is passed to make same sex marriage legal then a school has no business funding a group like this.

I'm not gay so I can't speak for gay people, and the reverse is true- you might not be straight so don't speak for me. Your problems are no different than mine (in terms of context).

I'm speaking from the context of a medical school education, how do these groups help in terms of medical school. Like it has been said above it's not an issue in school, so therefore I don't think it serves a purpose in a school setting. Now if you want to discuss it at starbucks or wherever fine. I just hope the group isn't being funded by the school.

Relegion and politics aside- if you want to form a group out of school then fine go ahead, but until legislation is passed to make same sex marriage legal then a school has no business funding a group like this.

I'm not gay so I can't speak for gay people, and the reverse is true- you might not be straight so don't speak for me. Your problems are no different than mine (in terms of context).

I'm not in medical school yet, so I don't know how stuff like that all works, but in undergrad there are plenty of clubs and groups and such - are they actually funded by the school? I'm asking this as a serious question, as I'm starting as a non-trad this fall. I have no clue how all that crap works.

I bolded that one part because I sort of feel it's the opposite, like I had stated above. LGBT groups might not be needed if legislation can be passed to make same sex marriage legal. I think the groups are needed now because they need support now and not when they pass the legislation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you read my post?

Great for them attending meetings. Just don't get upset if the "straight as a arrow" group is formed.

I just feel that these groups serve little to no purpose. And as I said before I think there are too many support groups in this country.

The groups do serve a purpose: they allow people with common backgrounds/history to talk and to bond. A soccer club unites people who want to play soccer, and an LGBT club unites people who want to talk about their unique experience in medicine.

Someone did form a men's group at UChicago a few years ago; you can read the article to get more perspectivehttp://articles.chicagotribune.com/...roup-s-emergence-local-middle-school-students

Life is hard for everyone, but some people and certain groups, i.e. those who are not heterosexual white males, can feel out of place in society. The reason why the AAMC and AMSA pushes for more diversity clubs and mentors for non-white, male, heterosexual students is that these students are more likely to feel ostracized in medicine. Not every LGBT or African American med student will join the LGBT of Black students organization, but some will. When you're a member of a minority group that enters one of the most conservative occupations, it's comforting to know that you've got a group of people you can talk to who will understand your perspective.

Remember, just because you don't think support groups are helpful doesn't mean other people agree with you. One day you might have to refer a patient to some sort of support group

Did you read my post?

Great for them attending meetings. Just don't get upset if the "straight as a arrow" group is formed.

I just feel that these groups serve little to no purpose. And as I said before I think there are too many support groups in this country.

so you want to be a doctor, right? you wouldn't tell your patients about support groups for their specific illness? maybe they want to talk to others who are dealing with what they're dealing with, living a similar life and having the same struggles. just because you've never needed a support group (and good for you!), doesn't mean they have no purpose.

although i think sdn is a support group...

*sigh* This was cute the first time you did it, now it's just excessive. Forgive me, I'll attempt to be more vigilant about my grammar.

Honestly, I just don't know if you realize the way it makes you sound. You might be making a very valid point, but the fact that you constantly use the wrong form of their/they're/your/you're really deducts from your statements, especially because this is a forum of students and professionals.

I'm sorry if I offended you.

If you consider allopathic schools again, the following med schools have active LGBT organizations.

University of South Florida: http://ctr.usf.edu/glbtmed/default.htm
FAQ section seems informative.

Vanderbilt: https://medschool.vanderbilt.edu/gsa/

Michigan: http://sitemaker.umich.edu/bglam/home
Looks to be the most active.

As for DO schools, I would expect Nova to be gay-friendly since its close to Fort Lauderdale and Miami.

To the OP, basically any allopathic school that isn't an HBC, Loma Linda, or AECOM will most likely either have an LGBT group or will have some services for LGBT students. Email schools you're interested in about what resources they have for LGBT students. When I did this, I was surprised that most of them replied, and that they were more than happy to enumerate their LGBT resources

the nerve of some people makes me want to :barf:

let's act like the adults we claim to be. if you don't "agree" with someone's life (like it's your business to care what they do :rolleyes:. hint: unless they're out killing/raping/otherwise harming others, it's not your business), shut your trap and keep it to yourself. there's no need to go out of your way to act like your parents didn't raise you right.

@aero. although i can't imagine what you've had to go through, i commend you for being brave enough to do what you had to do to make YOU happy. because that's all that matters (of course, as long as your happiness isn't based on hurting people like i mentioned before :)).

Thanks, I am either very brave or very stupid for doing all of this. Not transitioning of course, but applying to medical school. I had such bad experiences that at one point in my life I had a medical phobia so severe that I couldn't even say the word hospital, much less doctor. All of that was because of mistreatment by doctors because I was visibly trans. It took a lot of work, but now I'm completely ok 99% of the time in a clinical setting (so as long as you do not try to do an EMG on me or put an IV in my hand, then I am not happy). I want to go into medicine in no small part because of my journey so I can help other LGBT people, like my friend who died last October due to medical neglect (she tried to see doctors, none would take her seriously). It doesn't even matter which specialty I go into. You have no idea how stressful it is for a trans person to go see a doctor at all, but so much of that stress automatically drops when they know someone is trans friendly. Some of my doctors have read my personal statement, you have no idea how proud some of my doctors are of me.

Actually the person PMed AGAIN telling me how my lifestyle offends her (and apparently I'm flaunting and that is not professional) and talked about the conservativeness of medicine. This is someone who is listed as a new member, pre-health student so I am pretty sure the person in question is a sockpuppet account. My reply to the first email was also CCed to 4 mods. I replied to the second, then ignored the account.

Sometimes I wonder if people weren't raised right given the general attitudes around SDN sometimes. One of the reasons I like popping my head in the pre-DO forum is because most of the people here aren't as bad as the people in pre-allo. The NT forum is usually pretty good too.

Thanks, I am either very brave or very stupid for doing all of this. Not transitioning of course, but applying to medical school. I had such bad experiences that at one point in my life I had a medical phobia so severe that I couldn't even say the word hospital, much less doctor. All of that was because of mistreatment by doctors because I was visibly trans. It took a lot of work, but now I'm completely ok 99% of the time in a clinical setting (so as long as you do not try to do an EMG on me or put an IV in my hand, then I am not happy). I want to go into medicine in no small part because of my journey so I can help other LGBT people, like my friend who died last October due to medical neglect (she tried to see doctors, none would take her seriously). It doesn't even matter which specialty I go into. You have no idea how stressful it is for a trans person to go see a doctor at all, but so much of that stress automatically drops when they know someone is trans friendly. Some of my doctors have read my personal statement, you have no idea how proud some of my doctors are of me.

Actually the person PMed AGAIN telling me how my lifestyle offends her (and apparently I'm flaunting and that is not professional) and talked about the conservativeness of medicine. This is someone who is listed as a new member, pre-health student so I am pretty sure the person in question is a sockpuppet account. My reply to the first email was also CCed to 4 mods. I replied to the second, then ignored the account.

Sometimes I wonder if people weren't raised right given the general attitudes around SDN sometimes. One of the reasons I like popping my head in the pre-DO forum is because most of the people here aren't as bad as the people in pre-allo. The NT forum is usually pretty good too.

1. gay/bi/straight/trans/cis, we all wonder if we're brave or stupid for applying to med school :p

2. that is so unfortunate. what happened to all those who said on their personal statements in some way or other that they wanted to save lives and make a difference? hmm...

3. :rolleyes: and what about that her rudeness is also offensive? live and let live. i think it's best to love and respect everyone. i know many people take an issue due to their religious beliefs, but the God i believe in wants me to treat everyone with kindness, as i would like to be treated. ok i'm done bringing religion into this before it derails everything and turns ugly.

4. we're so much more chill at pre-do. seriously they freak me out at pre-allo sometimes!

4. we're so much more chill at pre-do. seriously they freak me out at pre-allo sometimes!

I'm pre-allo, and I agree with you there! Some of 'em tend to be a bit hardcore.

Aero, I am so sorry that all of that happened, and I'm even angrier that someone on here is personally berating you. Some people just have no class, and obviously has no life if she's going out of her way to tell you that she thinks your lifestyle is wrong. I really hate stupid people.

I'm pre-allo, and I agree with you there! Some of 'em tend to be a bit hardcore.

Aero, I am so sorry that all of that happened, and I'm even angrier that someone on here is personally berating you. Some people just have no class, and obviously has no life if she's going out of her way to tell you that she thinks your lifestyle is wrong. I really hate stupid people.

on pre-allo they're all "i got an A-, so can i still get into a top school?!?!? or should i just go carib? HELP ME!!!!!11111!!!!!1111" and i just laugh at them HAHAHA.

1. gay/bi/straight/trans/cis, we all wonder if we're brave or stupid for applying to med school :p

I know, that is what makes me feel better. First time I went in to observe a surgery, I accidentally ran into my neurologist. I told him I was going to observe a surgery and that I didn't know if I was incredibly brave, incredibly stupid, or incredibly crazy. His vote was bravery and he said "Better you than me." LOL! Apparently he isn't big on surgery. :p Once my family learned I was thinking of applying to medical school, they wanted me to talk to a psychiatrist because I obviously lost my mind. My plastic surgeon told me you are crazy when you start the process and you are even crazier when you finish med school.

2. that is so unfortunate. what happened to all those who said on their personal statements in some way or other that they wanted to save lives and make a difference? hmm...

Silly Poet, apparently LGBT don't count. ;)

3. :rolleyes: and what about that her rudeness is also offensive? live and let live. i think it's best to love and respect everyone. i know many people take an issue due to their religious beliefs, but the God i believe in wants me to treat everyone with kindness, as i would like to be treated. ok i'm done bringing religion into this before it derails everything and turns ugly.

:thumbup: My religion is the same. I might not agree with what people say or do, but I will do my best to give them the respect that they do not want to give others.

They freak me out too. The craziness over there worries me. You would never see anything like the craziness of the DO vs Janitor thread over in pre-allo. Any time I need a pick me up, I find that thread and read it. :)

Neurocentric, thanks. It's just amazing at the lack of life some people have. And she thinks I'm not going to get into medical school? Please! My statement talks about being LGBT and the health care issues that they face. As one doctor (another openly gay one who was on an adcomm at my state's top medical school) said, "If you don't get into medical school, it's not going to be because of your personal statement!"

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, I just don't know if you realize the way it makes you sound. You might be making a very valid point, but the fact that you constantly use the wrong form of their/they're/your/you're really deducts from your statements, especially because this is a forum of students and professionals.

I'm sorry if I offended you.

It's fine, its just honestly at 11 PM i'm more or less attempting to simply communicate something. My minds more then likely fixated primarily on sleep.

Your logic is flawed, I assume everything is based on groups if we are considering a group more than one person. How we moved to the formations of nations is beyond me.

Put down the goverment textbook
and stop reading

Eh yah.. evolutionary psychology and social psychology disagrees with you. Interpersonal relations and the concept of a group as something were people with common interests unite for a common goal. Its not about the foundation of nations as much as the fact that your view is wrong on so many levels. Your critical of others in groups, and yet you forget the fact that you have many groups yourself.

Sure there's really no reason this topic should apply to medical school. But you went ahead and basically said that all groups are incorrect don't do anything good. As such I created a logical argument which trumps you. Please get off of your high confirmation bias and accept the reality of the matter.

I really hope a mod closes this already.

on pre-allo they're all "i got an A-, so can i still get into a top school?!?!? or should i just go carib? HELP ME!!!!!11111!!!!!1111" and i just laugh at them HAHAHA.

They freak me out too. The craziness over there worries me. You would never see anything like the craziness of the DO vs Janitor thread over in pre-allo. Any time I need a pick me up, I find that thread and read it. :)

I try so hard to ignore those threads, but I usually read them for the hilariousness that ensues. Not to get into a DO topic, but when I went into the hospital last year, my physician in the ER was a DO, and we had an awesome discussion on some of the legitimate differences between DO and MD, which is really the OMM part, and she was a wonderful doctor. DO's and MD's both rock awesomely.

I personally lean towards MD, but if I ended up going DO for whatever reason, I'd be perfectly fine with that as well. I think a lot of the pre-allo people have this notion about being a physician and are still in the wide-eyed phase and haven't really realized what being a doctor entails. Just my thoughts on that.

Neurocentric, thanks. It's just amazing at the lack of life some people have. And she thinks I'm not going to get into medical school? Please! My statement talks about being LGBT and the health care issues that they face. As one doctor (another openly gay one who was on an adcomm at my state's top medical school) said, "If you don't get into medical school, it's not going to be because of your personal statement!"

When you get your acceptance letter, you should scan it and PM it to her :laugh: In all seriousness, though, I think you'll make a fantastic physician. There are quite a few people I see on here who, while I don't know them, honestly seem like they have a real passion for the career, the science, and all of it, and I can't wait to see all of their acceptance threads - or whatever ya'll do when the acceptances roll in :)

Eh yah.. evolutionary psychology and social psychology disagrees with you. Interpersonal relations and the concept of a group as something were people with common interests unite for a common goal. Its not about the foundation of nations as much as the fact that your view is wrong on so many levels. Your critical of others in groups, and yet you forget the fact that you have many groups yourself.

Sure there's really no reason this topic should apply to medical school. But you went ahead and basically said that all groups are incorrect don't do anything good. As such I created a logical argument which trumps you. Please get off of your high confirmation bias and accept the reality of the matter.

I really hope a mod closes this already.

political science would disagree. But I have neither the time no the energy to argue. I fully accept matter at hand, but with the same breath that you call me biased you yourself are biased. So time to agree to disagree.

political science would disagree. But I have neither the time no the energy to argue. I fully accept matter at hand, but with the same breath that you call me biased you yourself are biased. So time to agree to disagree.

Ok fair enough. Btw confirmation bias means your personal predisposition makes you ignore new information.

But yes, in all honesty this topic was a major derailment. I believe that LGBT clubs for medical school are honestly not that necessary. But for real life people its necessary.

Ok fair enough. Btw confirmation bias means your personal predisposition makes you ignore new information.

But yes, in all honesty this topic was a major derailment. I believe that LGBT clubs for medical school are honestly not that necessary. But for real life people its necessary.

See this is why I love the pre-do forum. In the pre allo forum the moral police would have been all over this. I'm glad that some adults still roam this site...

^^ thats what I mean serenade. I dont see why in MED SCHOOL it needs to have a place. Want to have a group off campus? By all means. I definitely know what it is like. I am Jewish...and while I dont necessarily buy into the religious aspect of it, it is nice hanging with people from similar upbringings.

I just feel that it is not really professional to have groups like this on campus. Its about professionalism.....not because I have a problem with homosexuality. I just dont really think that open discussion/flaunting of sex and sexual orientation has any place on campus. Do i talk about sex in the hospital? Of course..but I keep it amongst my close friends and coworkers...I dont openly broadcast my feelings about sexuality to the entire hospital.

I dont know. Hopefully I am not being insulting...just my opinion.

Where you're being insulting is in saying that a LGBT club is unprofessional because it's about sex. It's about as much about sex as pro-life and pro-choice clubs are and believe me, those two clubs are on campus at many medical schools, as are Bible Study clubs, Christian clubs, and a slew of other clubs that have nothing to do directly with medicine.

I cant really agree with you there because thats just mentioning a fact. Life is heteronormative becuase that is how life evolved. Sucks for gays..but thats the way things are. People can mention that theyre gay all they want as in " I am hanging out with my boyfriend tonight,etc." When someone is openly sucking face with their boyfriend or what not that is rubbing sexuality in your face (just like it would be if I sucked face with my girlfriend in public which I dont).

I don't know, I see straight couples at my school sucking face all the time and no one has a problem with it. I don't know where this impression came from that it's only gays who flaunt their sexuality. It's not. It's just that it stands out when it's a gay couple. When it's a straight couple, no one bats an eyelash. Just part of the discrimination.

Also having parades where scantily clad men are parading around like *****s to support a cause is rubbing your sexuality in someones face...

Oh please. So is it also wrong to have a St. Patrick's Day parade? Isn't that all about supporting heritage -- Irish pride? What do you think of Columbus Day parades? Hell, the Fourth of July parades have guys donning Uncle Sam hats and roaming around on stilts to support the birth of America. Do you have a problem with that too?

I'm speaking from the context of a medical school education, how do these groups help in terms of medical school. Like it has been said above it's not an issue in school, so therefore I don't think it serves a purpose in a school setting.

When you get to medical school, you'll see that a number of clubs serve no purpose in medicine. LGBT groups support doctors-in-training who are gay and that, in and of itself, means it's related to medicine.

Relegion and politics aside- if you want to form a group out of school then fine go ahead, but until legislation is passed to make same sex marriage legal

In case you haven't noticed, several states have done this.

I don't know, I see straight couples at my school sucking face all the time and no one has a problem with it. I don't know where this impression came from that it's only gays who flaunt their sexuality. It's not. It's just that it stands out when it's a gay couple. When it's a straight couple, no one bats an eyelash. Just part of the discrimination.

Oh please. So is it also wrong to have a St. Patrick's Day parade? Isn't that all about supporting heritage -- Irish pride? What do you think of Columbus Day parades? Hell, the Fourth of July parades have guys donning Uncle Sam hats and roaming around on stilts to support the birth of America. Do you have a problem with that too?

First of all dont try to paint me with some homophobe brush because thats far from the truth. I would have a problem with couples making out in public its disgusting and trashy. And gay pride parades are far different from other parades youve named. I dont know whether you are gay or an straight ally, but there is no need to jump all over me for expressing my beliefs...just like you are expressing yours.

Where you're being insulting is in saying that a LGBT club is unprofessional because it's about sex. It's about as much about sex as pro-life and pro-choice clubs are and believe me, those two clubs are on campus at many medical schools, as are Bible Study clubs, Christian clubs, and a slew of other clubs that have nothing to do directly with medicine.

I believe I mentioned that I have no problem with a LGBT club if its about friendship and association with other like minded individuals. I do have an issue with vocal flamboyant homosexuals bothering me in the student center as I walk to class. There is a difference.

When you get to medical school, you'll see that a number of clubs serve no purpose in medicine. LGBT groups support doctors-in-training who are gay and that, in and of itself, means it's related to medicine.

As said before and before and before- If you want to join a club its your right, just dont attempt to push it down people throats. I have no problem with these clubs I just see no benefit of them, that being said people have said they have benefited from them. So again, if you would have read any of my post you would see that its just my opinion to there helpfulness in the terms of medical school

In case you haven't noticed, several states have done this.

Sorry all we get here is fox news and the bible channel.

If you look at it as a whole yes some states have made it legal for homosexual people to get married or join into a union. But I dont think that until a national bill is passed that any of these marriages carry any weight. For example- a marriage license of homosexuals does not transfer from a pro gay marriage state to a anti gay marriage state. I am for equal rights for everyone, but without some sort broad sweeping law no progress is going to be made. And to be honest I dont understand why we really need a law that says gays should be able to mary. I personally believe in what ever the heart wants it wants, no matter of sex is needed to tell a person that something is right or wrong. Hell who am I to tell somebody that something is immoral or wrong? I just wish that people would live there own lives and stop attempting to turn everybody into the "norm". And yes I am talking to you right wing blood screaming Christians or any other religious group that uses freedom of speech to hide hate and prejudice.

If you look at it as a whole yes some states have made it legal for homosexual people to get married or join into a union. But I dont think that until a national bill is passed that any of these marriages carry any weight. For example- a marriage license of homosexuals does not transfer from a pro gay marriage state to a anti gay marriage state. I am for equal rights for everyone, but without some sort broad sweeping law no progress is going to be made. And to be honest I dont understand why we really need a law that says gays should be able to mary. I personally believe in what ever the heart wants it wants, no matter of sex is needed to tell a person that something is right or wrong. Hell who am I to tell somebody that something is immoral or wrong? I just wish that people would live there own lives and stop attempting to turn everybody into the "norm". And yes I am talking to you right wing blood screaming Christians or any other religious group that uses freedom of speech to hide hate and prejudice.

I agree with you completely.

First of all dont try to paint me with some homophobe brush because thats far from the truth. I would have a problem with couples making out in public its disgusting and trashy. And gay pride parades are far different from other parades youve named. I dont know whether you are gay or an straight ally, but there is no need to jump all over me for expressing my beliefs...just like you are expressing yours.

No one jumped all over you. I happen to be straight, but I understand where gay people are coming from in wanting clubs/parades/etc. Explain to me how a gay pride parade differs from a St. Patrick's Day (AKA Irish Pride) parade.

Ok, so I'm confused here. I'm married, with a male husband and children. I, BTW, am a hetereosexual female.

Now, earlier on someone posted that just saying "that guy is totally hot" is "rubbing your sexuality in someone's face" (or something to that effect). So when I say "Megan Fox is totally hot" is that saying I'm gay? (because, let's face it, she is, and I'm so not gay, and yes I absolutely said exactly that phrase the other night at a party and I was totally sober). And Lynda Carter is hot even at 50 something.

I fail to understand how saying another human being is absolutely drop-dead gorgeous or a total hunk has anything to do with my sexuality.

I believe I mentioned that I have no problem with a LGBT club if its about friendship and association with other like minded individuals. I do have an issue with vocal flamboyant homosexuals bothering me in the student center as I walk to class. There is a difference.

Why in the world would vocal flamboyant homosexuals bother you in the student center as you walk to class? That's ridiculous.

If you look at it as a whole yes some states have made it legal for homosexual people to get married or join into a union. But I dont think that until a national bill is passed that any of these marriages carry any weight. For example- a marriage license of homosexuals does not transfer from a pro gay marriage state to a anti gay marriage state. I am for equal rights for everyone, but without some sort broad sweeping law no progress is going to be made.

Hey, I agree with you. I'm all for national legislation to legalize gay marriage.

And to be honest I dont understand why we really need a law that says gays should be able to mary.

Because without one, some states won't allow it.

I personally believe in what ever the heart wants it wants, no matter of sex is needed to tell a person that something is right or wrong. Hell who am I to tell somebody that something is immoral or wrong? I just wish that people would live there own lives and stop attempting to turn everybody into the "norm". And yes I am talking to you right wing blood screaming Christians or any other religious group that uses freedom of speech to hide hate and prejudice.

On that, we agree completely.

No one jumped all over you. I happen to be straight, but I understand where gay people are coming from in wanting clubs/parades/etc. Explain to me how a gay pride parade differs from a St. Patrick's Day (AKA Irish Pride) parade.

I'm not part of this debate you guys are having, but I have a feeling the main difference is because being a heterosexual is more the norm, and with Gay Pride parades, gay people and straight allies can celebrate who they are and be proud without anyone telling them "No, it's wrong." That's how I see it anyway.

With St. Patties' Day, I think that a lot of it - at least recently - is just an excuse for people to get drunk. I'm not even sure anyone really understands what being Irish is all about, except if you're actually Irish.

Hey, I agree with you. I'm all for national legislation to legalize gay marriage.

Because without one, some states won't allow it.

On that, we agree completely.

Damn it dont agree with me!! Do what congress does and disagree on everything, so much more stuff gets accomplished that way. lol

Why in the world would vocal flamboyant homosexuals bother you in the student center as you walk to class? That's ridiculous.

Because flamboyant gays bother me because they exist....and therefore just seeing them in the student center at the student center (past tense because I havent been in college in half a decade) bothers me. Case closed.

You are a man who likes other man...I get it. That is cool with me...why you have to act like a weirdo is beyond me.

Because flamboyant gays bother me because they exist....and therefore just seeing them in the student center at the student center (past tense because I havent been in college in half a decade) bothers me. Case closed.

You are a man who likes other man...I get it. That is cool with me...why you have to act like a weirdo is beyond me.

I think if you were a little more secure in your sexuality you wouldn't be bothered by the existence of homosexuals.

I'm hoping you're not trying to be offensive with this statement, but I honestly find it a bit ignorant. Flamboyant gay people are just the same as gay people who maybe watch sports, but they're a little bit more vocal about their sexuality. But they are proud of it as well. What's the issue with that?

Unless this person was actually feeling up on you when it's not warranted, then I could see the issue. But just being pissed because they're THERE? Wow.

Penises in little sleeves surrounded by elephant ears that makes their whole genital region look like an elephant.

SAW IT at a gay pride parade in Philly.

Maybe I should go out and start a straight pride parade. That would be great despite all the gay hate I would get for being such a "close minded person" despite that fact that I fully support homosexuality and could care less what gays do in the privacy of their bedrooms. It seems like unless you fully support everything about homosexuality, including flaunting it in public, rainbows, costumes involving your penis, you are a homophobe.......so I will never win this arguement.

I think if you were a little more secure in your sexuality you wouldn't be bothered by the existence of homosexuals.

DO YOU READ? Clearly not. I have no problem with homosexuals, I have a problem with FLAMBOYANT behavior. It annoys the $hit out of me. It has nothing to do with gays.

I'm hoping you're not trying to be offensive with this statement, but I honestly find it a bit ignorant. Flamboyant gay people are just the same as gay people who maybe watch sports, but they're a little bit more vocal about their sexuality. But they are proud of it as well. What's the issue with that?

Unless this person was actually feeling up on you when it's not warranted, then I could see the issue. But just being pissed because they're THERE? Wow.

Yep. Its my opinion and I am entitled to it. I find it annoying and offensive.

Penises in little sleeves surrounded by elephant ears that makes their whole genital region look like an elephant.

Maybe I should go out and start a straight pride parade. That would be great despite all the gay hate I would get for being such a "close minded person" despite that fact that I fully support homosexuality and could care less what gays do in the privacy of their bedrooms. It seems like unless you fully support everything about homosexuality, including flaunting it in public, rainbows, costumes involving your penis, you are a homophobe.......so I will never win this arguement.

Because you're not wording your statements to make it sound like you're okay with it. You say that you fully support homosexuals. That's great. But when you say stuff like "Flamboyantly gay people bother me because they're there," and "Why they have to act like a weirdo is beyond me," just makes you sound like you don't know how to deal with people who are much different from you. But the fact of the matter is that people are gay behind closed doors and out in the open; just because they're not having sex where you are doesn't mean they still aren't gay. So when you say stuff like some of your earlier posts, it makes you come off in a bad light. Maybe you need to word things better and not sound like you're completely bothered by someone who might make it known to the world of who they are.

Because you're not wording your statements to make it sound like you're okay with it. You say that you fully support homosexuals. That's great. But when you say stuff like "Flamboyantly gay people bother me because they're there," and "Why they have to act like a weirdo is beyond me," just makes you sound like you don't know how to deal with people who are much different from you. But the fact of the matter is that people are gay behind closed doors and out in the open; just because they're not having sex where you are doesn't mean they still aren't gay. So when you say stuff like some of your earlier posts, it makes you come off in a bad light. Maybe you need to word things better and not sound like you're completely bothered by someone who might make it known to the world of who they are.

Okay...well in the future I will not allow my opinions regarding flamboyant behavior to be known on SDN....and pretend I am totally cool with it. I apologize for offending anyone I may have offended. People here are missing the fact that I think anyone expressing their sexuality in public is inappropriate...outside of maybe holding hands....YES EVEN GAYS!! I couldnt care less if gays hold hands in public. But when I see two gays making out in public in rainbow t shirts, talking in high pitched voices, it bothers me. Just the same as if I saw a straight couple in rainbow t shirts making out in public. I dont understand why this is such a problem. Its annoys me.

Last edited:
Yep. Its my opinion and I am entitled to it. I find it annoying and offensive.

So, basically, you're saying that someone who is gay.. needs to act like a hetero male when outside of his house. Okay. :rolleyes:

So, basically, you're saying that someone who is gay.. needs to act like a hetero male when outside of his house. Okay. :rolleyes:

No they can do whatever they want to do. However it will still annoy the **** out of me

I am also saying that I dont really understand the need to act like that in public. It just makes zero sense to me. Especially since a friend of mine who grew up straight and acted "normally"...came out of the closet and now all of a sudden speaks with a high voice and acts flamboyant. Perhaps someone could explain flamboyant homosexuality to me?

Last edited:

Sounds like a personal problem (on your part) to me.

I see plenty of things that offend me at parades all over the country. I don't find ways to insult an entire group of people because of it. If you feel the parade floats are obscene, complain to your local city council and propose a city ordinance prohibiting it.

Maybe I should go out and start a straight pride parade. That would be great despite all the gay hate I would get for being such a "close minded person"

Honestly, it sounds like you are a close-minded person, despite all your protests to the contrary.

despite that fact that I fully support homosexuality

Your posts here have established tha tyou don't.

It seems like unless you fully support everything about homosexuality, including flaunting it in public, rainbows, costumes involving your penis, you are a homophobe.......so I will never win this arguement.

The reason you won't win this argument is because you're horrifyingly ignorant on the topic. You've resorted to stereotypes and red herrings to justify your feelings when, in reality, you've set a different standard for homosexuals and other groups.

I am also saying that I dont really understand the need to act like that in public. It just makes zero sense to me. Especially since a friend of mine who grew up straight and acted "normally"...came out of the closet and now all of a sudden speaks with a high voice and acts flamboyant. Perhaps someone could explain flamboyant homosexuality to me?

He might have intentionally kept his voice low, made sure to dress straight, and carried himself in a reserved fashion so that he could pass as straight. As a gay man, when I'm around someone conservative, I always lower my voice, don't talk more than I need to, I pay attention that I don't gesutre too much, and I make sure that I walk like a straight man. Did I choose to have an effeminate voice? No, it just happened, and I feel uncomfortable when I have to change how I act/talk just so someone else feels comfortable. It sucks, but sometimes I have to do it. Do all gay men have effeminate voice and act 'flamboyant?' No, not at all. Rule number one about gay men: not all of us are Niles Cranes of Jack McFarlands

I see plenty of things that offend me at parades all over the country. I don't find ways to insult an entire group of people because of it. If you feel the parade floats are obscene, complain to your local city council and propose a city ordinance prohibiting it.

Honestly, it sounds like you are a close-minded person, despite all your protests to the contrary.

Your posts here have established tha tyou don't.

The reason you won't win this argument is because you're horrifyingly ignorant on the topic. You've resorted to stereotypes and red herrings to justify your feelings when, in reality, you've set a different standard for homosexuals and other groups.

Horriflying ignorant eh? You would think that I know you since you apparently know so much about me.

This further supports my statement that unless you support every single thing about sexuality you are "horribly ignorant" or a homophobe.

Okay...well in the future I will not allow my opinions regarding flamboyant behavior to be known on SDN....and pretend I am totally cool with it. I apologize for offending anyone I may have offended. People here are missing the fact that I think anyone expressing their sexuality in public is inappropriate...outside of maybe holding hands....YES EVEN GAYS!! I couldnt care less if gays hold hands in public. But when I see two gays making out in public in rainbow t shirts, talking in high pitched voices, it bothers me. Just the same as if I saw a straight couple in rainbow t shirts making out in public. I dont understand why this is such a problem. Its annoys me.

And what bothers those of us who support gay rights is that whenever the topic of gays come up, someone has to say "I'm okay with homosexuality, but when they flaunt it or shove it in my face or make out in public, it bothers me." Why is that always said in reference to gay people by others who very clearly don't support gay rights? In all my years, I've never seen a gay couple make out in public. Never. Perhaps if this has been such a huge problem in your life, it speaks to the places you frequent.

Status
Not open for further replies.