listing conference submissions on CV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AventurineRippl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
since it's the norm to list manuscripts in review on your cv, is it generally ok to do the same for a conference submission, or not?
like, if someone submitted to apa, and is still waiting to hear back, would it be ok to list the poster as being in review or something? and if so, what's the format for the reference on your cv?
if anyone knows, i'd really appreciate finding out, thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

since it's the norm to list manuscripts in review on your cv, is it generally ok to do the same for a conference submission, or not?
like, if someone submitted to apa, and is still waiting to hear back, would it be ok to list the poster as being in review or something? and if so, what's the format for the reference on your cv?
if anyone knows, i'd really appreciate finding out, thanks!!

I think the way to list it is as "submitted", such as:

Doe, J. (2010, March). Sleep Deprivation Increases Blood Pressure in Persons with a Family History of Hypertension. Paper submitted for presentation at the annual meeting of the American Psychosomatic Society, Portland, OR.

but so, it would be listed as a 'paper' that's submitted, even if it's for, for example, apa's poster sessions?
(I get that the abstract/poster is based on a paper, just confused since you never submit the actual paper, just an abstract...)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say yes since it would be the title of your presentation too

but so, it would be listed as a 'paper' that's submitted, even if it's for, for example, apa's poster sessions?
(I get that the abstract/poster is based on a paper, just confused since you never submit the actual paper, just an abstract...)

That's the way I was told by two of my mentors to put it in my CV... I think that it's because although the method you're using to communicate the information from the paper is via abstract or poster, you're still presenting the paper. (if that makes any sense!)

i guess all of that makes sense for the most part. however, what if the title of the poster is different from that of the actual paper (word limit issues), and/or the authors choose to go with a different authorship order than they did in the paper?

Have two sections on your CV; publications and presentations. It's kosher to put in papers that are submitted or posters for a conference that's going to happen later:

Publications:
Sinatra, N. These boots: Their structure and function. Manuscript under review.

Presentations:
Nerd, J. (2010, August). It's all their fault: A case study in why I have no idea why people interpret hostility from my forum posts. Poster accepted for presentation at the 2010 Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association, San Diego, California.

The posters and papers are different; this is why two sections are necessary. I've never seen anyone list a poster under review, I guess because turnaround is decently quick on those and most people don't bother to update the CV. I don't see any reason you *couldn't* do it...

Yeah....umm... papers and posters at conferences are different things. If you look at conference submissions they are often differentiated between - as PsychPhDStudent said paper submissions are considered talks. A poster session is usually listed as such and you designate it as such when you submit it (and it will be listed as such in the conference program). (On the other hand, if you submitted a paper presentation to a conference you would have designated it for consideration as such - and often there are separate guidelines for that). Thus, I disagree with clinicalpsyapp as you would be essentially saying you did something which you didn't (i.e., give a talk). Look at the APA manual - they differentiate between paper and poster sessions too.

Of course keeping in mind that structures of CV vary...check the actual APA manual as to how you would reference a poster session. (I only have the APA 5th on me. So the below are from pages 259-260 (i.e., References: Proceedings of Meetings and Symposia) in the 5th ed. APA manual. Check the 6th if you can to see if anything has changed.):

Should be something like....

POSTER SESSION [Example]: (The part in red is word for word from the APA Manual 5th ed.)

Ruby, J. & Fulton, C. (1993, June). Beyond redlining: Editing software that works. Poster session presented at the annual meeting of the Society for Scholarly Publishing, Washington, DC.

Just change the phrase presented at to:
A) submitted to
or
B) accepted for presentation

Note: City and State are from where it takes place that year (e.g., Boston, MA). Unless this has changed, you don't need to put the year again "the 2010 annual..." because that's at the beginning. I have seen people specify the meeting number though (e.g., at the 21st annual meeting...).

UNPUBLISHED PAPER PRESENTED AT A MEETING [Example]: (also from APA manual 5th ed.)

Lanktree, C., & Briere, J. (1991, January). Early data on the Trauma Symptom Checklist for Children (TSC-C). Paper presented at the meeting of the American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children, San Diego, CA.

Note: See the difference? *This* is a paper presentation. The other is a poster session.

Also, from reading a lot of CVs of Professors - those who have a lot of paper presentations usually have that in a separate section. Postdocs and grad students seem to just list them all together under a "Posters and Presentations" section.

For an actual paper that's being prepared for submission you would list that under "Manuscripts in Preparation" or whatnot. If you presented it at a conference *too*, you should list it in both sections using the appropriate reference structure (I say this based on what I've seen Professor do on their CVs).

Overall: It's fine to list as "submitted" or "accepted" I think - but I'm guessing people who have a lot of posters won't bother doing that (i.e., like my boss who has hundreds) whereas if you're trying to fill up room on your CV (if you only have a couple of posters) it would probably be more common and understandable.

Last edited:
Can't wait to cite you in my next post!

Have two sections on your CV; publications and presentations. It's kosher to put in papers that are submitted or posters for a conference that's going to happen later:

Publications:
Sinatra, N. These boots: Their structure and function. Manuscript under review.

Presentations:
Nerd, J. (2010, August). It's all their fault: A case study in why I have no idea why people interpret hostility from my forum posts. Poster accepted for presentation at the 2010 Annual Convention of the American Psychological Association, San Diego, California.

The posters and papers are different; this is why two sections are necessary. I've never seen anyone list a poster under review, I guess because turnaround is decently quick on those and most people don't bother to update the CV. I don't see any reason you *couldn't* do it...

i use to break up papers versus posters, but after i got about 10 of them i started grouping them together and just having a "publications" vs "papers and presentations" section since papers/posters are differentiated by how you cite them anyway.

My CV is the opposite of Cigolon's, I think...

Pubs are what people really care about, so I put those first and separate. Them comes presentations, divided into national & international (APA and CPA conferences mostly) and local (little university things I have my name on). Remember the old adage; Deans can't read, but they can count. :p

Yeh, publications first.

Remember, professors read down before they read across.