Teaching Assistantships on CV (neuro)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrainStormer

Reaction score
As a second year PhD student, I am in the midst of building my CV for internship. I am curious if TA positions actually add significant value to a CV, specifically to land a neuro internship at an AMC or VA. By the time I apply to internship, I will have TA'd for a variety of courses (e.g., cog assessment, experimental psych, psychopathology, stats, research design, neuropsych). These all have lab components in which I am supervising or teaching graduate or undergrad students, so not simply grading. Any input from those in neuro would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's not really all that helpful. Most applications coming in for internship/postdoc have some TA experience. Having more than the average does not move the needle. Usually we're doing it so we can keep funding of some sort, so getting a lot is only helpful if you plan on teaching down the road. I'd focus more on good external prac placements later in your grad school course as well as some neuro related research product in posters and pubs if you can.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that I wouldn't say they'd add "significant value" for internship applications, but they certainly aren't going to hurt your CV. I'd definitely include them, but wouldn't belabor the point by creating lengthy entries for each course. Rather, I might just have one or two bullet points listing all of the courses you TA'd and the general duties across the courses.

Reactions: 5 users