Llu

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know what to expect? I mean..cl 2 prep? pfm prep? etc...any info is appreciated. I heard previously they had wax exercises, is it still there?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, i just got invited for the bench exam on the 29th of august. Thats all great except that i havent been practicing for 3 years now and i forgot alot of the practical procedures. I dont know what to expect in the test and i need a source to study the preparation steps. If anybody knows a book i can revise that would be great.

Does anybody know what preps to be expected? Is there any Wax carving in the test?

Any advice of a way to really practice? I know it would be hard for me since i have no instruments and no access to Dental tools

All Replies are highly appreciated

hi guys , do they still send invitation letters or they have done with the invitations? :confused::scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, i just got invited for the bench exam on the 29th of august. Thats all great except that i havent been practicing for 3 years now and i forgot alot of the practical procedures. I dont know what to expect in the test and i need a source to study the preparation steps. If anybody knows a book i can revise that would be great.

Does anybody know what preps to be expected? Is there any Wax carving in the test?

Any advice of a way to really practice? I know it would be hard for me since i have no instruments and no access to Dental tools

All Replies are highly appreciated

You can try reviewing Shillinburg for crowns and Sturdevant for operative. It's going to be hard if you haven't practiced in a while... Try going to a dental office and ask if you can use a chair after hours maybe but you don't have much time...
There's no wax carving that I know of. Dr. Mitchell would know more about it than I do though.
Good luck.

Hi All,

I got the invite today evening in snail mail...and I'm very excited...does anyone know what to expect in the test? is it bench top or on a mannequin? Good Luck everyone....:thumbup::luck:

It's on a mannequin, not table-top. Last year we were allowed to bring our own instruments and burs - I don't know if it's the same this year but if you're comfortable working with certain burs bring them with you, just in case.

Thanks so much for your response. I know i dont have much time .
So Do i buy books by Shillinburg and sturvident or i just download them online?? Do u have any advice as of what to focus on for the test??

Thanx again

Thanks so much for your response. I know i dont have much time .
So Do i buy books by Shillinburg and sturvident or i just download them online?? Do u have any advice as of what to focus on for the test??

Thanx again

Well I really don't know what they're going to have you do so I can't tell you a specific thing but review full coverage crowns and cavity preps and you should be OK. Plus these things you already know from your dental school so even if LLU has different guidelines or they prep a bit differently, they're looking for the skill and the potential.
So don't worry. :)

Well I really don't know what they're going to have you do so I can't tell you a specific thing but review full coverage crowns and cavity preps and you should be OK. Plus these things you already know from your dental school so even if LLU has different guidelines or they prep a bit differently, they're looking for the skill and the potential.

Thanks so much for your help. one last thing , what kind of Typodont should i buy Kilgore or Columbia?? what model would you recommend for me??

I really appreciate your assistance

Hi Soriandra,

Thanks for sharing the information. I have a question. Do they ask partial crown like 3/4, 7/8 inlay onlay. Last time I have heard they asked pfm and class 2. Can you please help us since it has been long since I practiced partial crowns.

Really appreciate your help.

Regards.

when you say cavity preps do we have to focus on class 3 and class 4s too ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am female from India, any female willing to share accomodation for aug 29th interview, please pm me or email me at [email protected]

It's on a mannequin, not table-top. Last year we were allowed to bring our own instruments and burs - I don't know if it's the same this year but if you're comfortable working with certain burs bring them with you, just in case.

Thanks for the information Soriandra, could you please tell what they asked you last yr for the practical?

Thanks for the information Soriandra, could you please tell what they asked you last yr for the practical?

Last year we had a PFM bridge 12 to 14 and a DO on a lower tooth, don't recall which one. And the case study.
One thing Dr. Mitchell told me today was that there won't be any partial coverage crowns so don't worry about practicing those.
:xf:

Hi,

Those who got their interview letter, can you please share your stats?

Thank you.

Hi...Im an Indian female...If anyone is interested in sharing a room for llu,pls msg me!Thanks!

Hi...Im an Indian female...If anyone is interested in sharing a room for llu,pls msg me!Thanks!

Hi...i need 2 more persons to share rental car with me from arrival at airport to departure at airport or for local travelling....i got really cheap deal for car and i know that place well..local travelling gonna be expensive and i also went there last year...if any one interested mail me at [email protected]

Thanks Soriandra for the information regarding partial coverage crowns.

Last year we had a PFM bridge 12 to 14 and a DO on a lower tooth, don't recall which one. And the case study.
One thing Dr. Mitchell told me today was that there won't be any partial coverage crowns so don't worry about practicing those.
:xf:

Good luck to all of you, guys, who is going through the bench exam and inteview at Loma Linda this coming weekend!

So How was the dexterity exam guys? I found it really competitive.
As far as talking about the staff and school, they were very very supportive.
They provided all the instruments, burs, hand piece and everything. time was more than sufficient for preparation. I think LLU is the only school provides you all the material you need for bench exam!
Interview went little longer in the evening. Dr. Mitchell and Dr. Fitzpatrick did really a good job helping every one the whole day. :thumbup:
Waiting for their call now!:xf:

A very competitive group of applicants. Overall efforts by the candidates were much improved over the last few years, phone calls should be going out as I write this. I wish everyone the best of luck and I wish there was room in the program for each one of you. Overall a very impressive group of candidates:D

A very competitive group of applicants. Overall efforts by the candidates were much improved over the last few years, phone calls should be going out as I write this. I wish everyone the best of luck and I wish there was room in the program for each one of you. Overall a very impressive group of candidates:D

Thanks Dr. Mitchell for the update. I was just wondering, how many of us would be called up for interview.

Thanks

Thanks Dr.Mitchell for the support & your guidance throughout the interview process to all of us.

Thanks Dr. Mitchell for the update. I was just wondering, how many of us would be called up for interview.

Thanks

I think this year the number ended up being between 40 and 45, a little more than 1/2 of the candidate total.

Thanks a lot Dr. Mitchell for all the support during the interview process and keeping us updated on the forum. I wish to know that for those candidates, who were not called for the interview, is it possible for us to know our weak points, so that we can prepare ourselves better for the next cycle.

Thanks a lot Dr. Mitchell for all the support during the interview process and keeping us updated on the forum. I wish to know that for those candidates, who were not called for the interview, is it possible for us to know our weak points, so that we can prepare ourselves better for the next cycle.

Overall I would say the biggest (and easiest) improvements people can make is in their hand skills. Compared to previous years this years candidates performed at a higher level in their skills tests. This raises the bar for everyone, if you were a re-applicant and performed better than previous efforts, it may not have been enough because of the higher level of performance the rest of the candidates produced. When practicing make sure you have several other people evaluate your work. (Do not limit the evaluation to yourself and/or just 1 other person) Also there are courses available that can help you with this, I cannot give any names because the university does not wish to even remotely be considered of promoting or recommending any particular one, but if you ask around you can find them.
Of course, practice, practice, practice. I had many students tell me that they were not happy with their results Sunday, they were too nervous. The more you practice and gain confidence, the less being nervous comes into play. Also basic things like being well-rested and haven eaten properly before the exam can play a big role in your performance too. For those that did not get called for an interview, I would encourage you to keep working and continue to hone your skills, we intend to keep this program going for a long time. Dr. Mitchell

Overall I would say the biggest (and easiest) improvements people can make is in their hand skills. Compared to previous years this years candidates performed at a higher level in their skills tests. This raises the bar for everyone, if you were a re-applicant and performed better than previous efforts, it may not have been enough because of the higher level of performance the rest of the candidates produced. When practicing make sure you have several other people evaluate your work. (Do not limit the evaluation to yourself and/or just 1 other person) Also there are courses available that can help you with this, I cannot give any names because the university does not wish to even remotely be considered of promoting or recommending any particular one, but if you ask around you can find them.
Of course, practice, practice, practice. I had many students tell me that they were not happy with their results Sunday, they were too nervous. The more you practice and gain confidence, the less being nervous comes into play. Also basic things like being well-rested and haven eaten properly before the exam can play a big role in your performance too. For those that did not get called for an interview, I would encourage you to keep working and continue to hone your skills, we intend to keep this program going for a long time. Dr. Mitchell

Thanks Dr.Mitchell for the advise.. this will help us to concentrate on our hand skills...

Dr.Mitchell ,

When can we expect results for the people who were interviewed on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Once again Thanks Dr for your guidance.

Thanks a lot Dr. Mitchell for the advise.

Dr.Mitchell ,

When can we expect results for the people who were interviewed on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Once again Thanks Dr for your guidance.

Once the interviewers have made their reports, all information is sent to the admissions committee, I would expect results to start appearing around mid-October, it just depends on how often the committee can meet as all the members have regular jobs around the dental school as well.

though I didn't apply to this program yet I would like to say it is an exceptional effort by the faculty member to take out time and answer all the queries one on one with the aspiring students here on this forum. It is the best form of help that any one can extend towards us!

Last edited:
Dear Dr. Mitchell:

I want to thank you and thank Dr. Fitzpatrick for staying so late on Sunday. I really appreciate that you took the time to know each of the applicants. :claps: That shows how much you care for each one of us.

The IPD 2 students were also very helpful and supportive. :thumbup:

Dear Dr. Mitchell:

I want to thank you and thank Dr. Fitzpatrick for staying so late on Sunday. I really appreciate that you took the time to know each of the applicants. :claps: That shows how much you care for each one of us.

The IPD 2 students were also very helpful and supportive. :thumbup:

Your welcome, it was something we felt was important which is why we added that component this year. Oh, and we stayed much later than that, we graded and ranked all the typodonts that night. Then another 3 hours double-checking them the next morning to make sure we didn't miss anything.

Your welcome, it was something we felt was important which is why we added that component this year. Oh, and we stayed much later than that, we graded and ranked all the typodonts that night. Then another 3 hours double-checking them the next morning to make sure we didn't miss anything.

Thanks Dr.Mitchell, The 5 minute interview was really helpful & it was great addition when compared to last year. You and Dr.Fitzpatrick have spent a lot of time to understand us and rank the typodonts. The effort is really appreciated.:claps:

Hey guys you thought this post would be related to acceptance....wait...:D

Hi,
Could u guys plz share ur stats??

Any news ?????????????

Not yet, I would still consider the info given in post #83 to be accurate, have patience (although I know it is extremely tough at this stage :))

Not yet, I would still consider the info given in post #83 to be accurate, have patience (although I know it is extremely tough at this stage :))

hayyyy ya yayyy ufff two more weeks :barf: I hope good news then....

I can not wait to put my bananas dance :p and dance for others too
I am praying so hard to get LLU this year, but now is all out of our hands Just wait and pray:xf:

do they going to call us or send a mail :confused:

Can't wait 2 hear the final result

From what I understand, admissions committee met last week and notices should be going out this week, I suspect there will be a few "banana dances" within a couple of days:).

Hello Dr. Mitchel:

Do you know if the results are going to be send out all in the same day? Or applicants are going to get acceptance in different days?

Thank you :claps:

From what I understand, admissions committee met last week and notices should be going out this week, I suspect there will be a few "banana dances" within a couple of days:).

How many "banana dances" are we expecting this year, 20 or 24 or more?:lame:

How many "banana dances" are we expecting this year, 20 or 24 or more?:lame:

Hello Dr. Mitchel:

Do you know if the results are going to be send out all in the same day? Or applicants are going to get acceptance in different days?

Thank you :claps:
Class size will be 24 and all letters should be going out on the same day, good luck to all :xf:

Before the results are out, I want to thank Dr Mitchell for taking the time to patiently answer all our queries.
All the best to everyone!