LMU-DCOM heightened monitoring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo I just wanted to post my 2 cents here.

A couple of the posts earlier made me really happy, to understand that other people know what's going on, and that in fact LMU-DCOM *is* indeed engaging in shady business re: "for-profit" education.

I am one of their victims. My life was ***Ruined*** by this school. And like every other young med student, who doesn't have the time to really truly question what's going on, I just accepted it and tried to move on, 200K in debt later with no way to pay it off, and 5 years of my life Flushed down the Drain.

Ever since DCOM told me to withdraw (after making 2 69's and a 65 after 2 years and 3 months involved with the school), my life has been a complete mess. Failing out when you're that far along is literally like an atomic bomb in your life. You're supposed to go in with a fair chance of making it. Instead, you are *told* you have a fair chance of making it, when the reality is that you don't.

5 years of my life, WASTED. 70-90 hours a week. All that, for *nothing*.

Let me put it like this.

When I started in 2012, (Yes, it's been 5 years now and the aftereffects of what that school has done to my life are *still* a matter - I do my best to try to move on every day but you can't imagine what it's been like...) we were told that our class had a 95% graduation rate and a 90% residency placement rate in the first year. That sounds like a reasonable chance of making it, particularly if you're a hard-working individual who does not give up.

You know how it ended up in 2016?

176 people, out of a starting class of 242, landed residency spots. That is 73% of the class. I have these numbers memorized at this point.

It is indeed shady how they are calculating it. They are trying to run away with the matter by making a matter of their calculations. They say they calculate it every year, and they try to spread out their numbers, etc.

With data analysis and analytics becoming a bigger and bigger thing every day, it's starting to become clear how they are hiding the damage they are causing entire cohorts of students every year.

I'm not the only one.

The reason DCOM is in the limelight for this stuff is because their class size is so big. The year I started, we had the biggest class size of any D.O. school in America. That was supposed to be a "cool" thing.

But the fact is that if I had just gone to UQ in Australia (my other offer), I would have at least had the chance to fall back on becoming a physician in Australia if I couldn't pass USMLE or something along those lines. There was a fallback for people who were "on the border".

I *sincerely* hope this message gets out. This school *destroyed* my life. This is not a joke. It's been 5 years now. I'm still wrecked.

Please somebody contact me [email protected] if there are any pending lawsuits against this school.
wow

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users

A couple of the posts earlier made me really happy, to understand that other people know what's going on, and that in fact LMU-DCOM *is* indeed engaging in shady business re: "for-profit" education.

I am one of their victims. My life was ***Ruined*** by this school. And like every other young med student, who doesn't have the time to really truly question what's going on, I just accepted it and tried to move on, 200K in debt later with no way to pay it off, and 5 years of my life Flushed down the Drain.

Ever since DCOM told me to withdraw (after making 2 69's and a 65 after 2 years and 3 months involved with the school), my life has been a complete mess. Failing out when you're that far along is literally like an atomic bomb in your life. You're supposed to go in with a fair chance of making it. Instead, you are *told* you have a fair chance of making it, when the reality is that you don't.

Let me put it like this.

When I started in 2012, (Yes, it's been 5 years now and the aftereffects of what that school has done to my life are *still* a matter - I do my best to try to move on every day but you can't imagine what it's been like...) we were told that our class had a 95% graduation rate and a 90% residency placement rate in the first year. That sounds like a reasonable chance of making it, particularly if you're a hard-working individual who does not give up.

176 people, out of a starting class of 242, landed residency spots. That is 73% of the class. I have these numbers memorized at this point.

It is indeed shady how they are calculating it. They are trying to run away with the matter by making a matter of their calculations. They say they calculate it every year, and they try to spread out their numbers, etc.

With data analysis and analytics becoming a bigger and bigger thing every day, it's starting to become clear how they are hiding the damage they are causing entire cohorts of students every year.

I'm not the only one.

The reason DCOM is in the limelight for this stuff is because their class size is so big. The year I started, we had the biggest class size of any D.O. school in America. That was supposed to be a "cool" thing.

But the fact is that if I had just gone to UQ in Australia (my other offer), I would have at least had the chance to fall back on becoming a physician in Australia if I couldn't pass USMLE or something along those lines. There was a fallback for people who were "on the border".

I *sincerely* hope this message gets out. This school *destroyed* my life. This is not a joke. It's been 5 years now. I'm still wrecked.

Please somebody contact me [email protected] if there are any pending lawsuits against this school.
They forced you to withdraw ?

Let me put it like this.

I'm not the only one.

Dude I am so so so sorry this happened to you. My advice is nurse —> NP —> get this debt out of your life. So tragic though, this kind of thing is what keeps me up at night.

Members don't see this ad :)
DCOM does not let people repeat the year before 3rd year. You only can delay graduation if you don’t pass comlex. They are vicious about this and DO NOT CARE about the debt you are saddled with.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
DCOM does not let people repeat the year before 3rd year. You only can delay graduation if you don’t pass comlex. They are vicious about this and DO NOT CARE about the debt you are saddled with.
There are currently plenty of people who are repeating 1st and 2nd year at DCOM

Is that justification for trash attrition rates? Seriously? Your career is nearly in shambles being held back ANY length of time. Hope you are ok with podunk FM and become real familiar with SOAP if you are held back.

To OP - very sorry to hear of your experience.

Let me put it like this.

I'm not the only one.

I’m sorry you went through this and had such a rough time. Those numbers are very alarming.
I know if you failed 3 classes at my school though they’d also remove you unless you had some major medical issue or family issue that precipitated it.

I’m sorry you went through this and had such a rough time. Those numbers are very alarming.
I know if you failed 3 classes at my school though they’d also remove you unless you had some major medical issue or family issue that precipitated it.

Yeah see this is kind of the narrative they want you to believe.

The real truth is that probability of placement is not based on the fitness of the cohort, but by the number of residency spots available (and they will always leave some open to keep demand high and have a scapegoat). Schools are well aware of whether or not they will be able to place their entire cohort. They try to make it like it's the students' fault for not being able to pass, but the fact is they know. They already know.

Look at how high those placement rates are for "eligible graduates"! Too bad they don't have to report their graduation statistics. Also be aware, there are no standards on minimum graduation rates or residency placement rates per COCA accreditation standards.
Feel free to Ctrl-F this document.
https://osteopathic.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/com-continuing-accreditation-standards.pdf

Yeah see this is kind of the narrative they want you to believe.

The real truth is that probability of placement is not based on the fitness of the cohort, but by the number of residency spots available (and they will always leave some open to keep demand high and have a scapegoat). Schools are well aware of whether or not they will be able to place their entire cohort. They try to make it like it's the students' fault for not being able to pass, but the fact is they know. They already know.

Look at how high those placement rates are for "eligible graduates"! Too bad they don't have to report their graduation statistics. Also be aware, there are no standards on minimum graduation rates or residency placement rates per COCA accreditation standards.
Feel free to Ctrl-F this document.
https://osteopathic.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/com-continuing-accreditation-standards.pdf
That has nothing to do with my post.

My suggestion is to r$ad betw$$n the l$nes.
That goes for every single school in the U.S. MD or DO. But for LMU, I'm surprised someone said earlier they wouldn't let you retake if you fail in the preclinal years. In your case, yea failing 3 classes would automatically get you the boot at many schools I know (MD included).

Reactions: 1 users
Just because I *have* to say it...

[[ The "curve" is being set by the *people* who know how many spots they can divy out. Ye olde divining rod is letting more in than they know they can graduate ]]

You guys may not have to deal in money much (most doctors sort of put it off to the side) but this is typical business thinking, and this is *everything* that is running schools. You really think they're expanding to "fill the doctor shortage"? You really buy this? Re: reporting, they are utilizing very common fraudulent accounting tactics (i.e. spreading out their numbers, using specific labels for their metrics), and **weeding people out** (you guys know that term) to the tune of extra $$$$$$$$ of dollars every year

These are lives that are being **Ruined**!!!!! I can't emphasize this enough.

Last edited:
  • Hmm

Let me put it like this.

I'm not the only one.

I'm so sorry. I wish I could say your the only time I have heard of this, but its not true. Thank you for posting.

From what I hear, its not that you can't repeat, its that they do the 2 and done thing. You fail 2 classes or more and they will kick you, unless you have some connection. And you can fail a class just by failing a component of the class i.e. omm lab or any other lab even if overall is passing.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is common for schools to offer to let you withdraw, or they will kick you out. I believe that there are less appeals you can do if you volunteerly withdraw, so they prefer this.

I'm so sorry. I wish I could say your the only time I have heard of this, but its not true. Thank you for posting.

Thank you!!! I really appreciate it.

I wish that more med students could see just what "fraud" really looks like. They're such good people, I know if they just understood what was going on and the system behind it, there would be justice for people like me. It's hard to watch some people's reactions to it. They've been in the study zone so long its like they can't remember how the real world works. They think these schools are expanding to fill some kind of "doctor shortage". Their business brains have been completely shut off... there's no time to think in terms of real world currencies, only "study hours".

Last edited:
Thank you!!! I really appreciate it.

I wish that med students could see just what "fraud" really looks like. They're such good people, I know if they just understood what was going on and the system behind it, there would be justice for people like me. It's hard to watch some people's reactions to it. They've been in the study zone so long its like they can't remember how the real world works. They think these schools are expanding to fill some kind of "doctor shortage". Their business brains have been completely shut off... there's no time to think in terms of real world currencies, only "study hours".
Most will eventually get it. I don't think DO schools where run like they are now 20 years ago. I didn't know DO school was like this till I met people my first semester who it happened too. I think until you know someone who gets railroaded you think its ridiculous and that no school would be like that. They don't understand that many of the COMs are run like businesses and not schools. It doesn't matter what your faculty are like if the Board is focused on different metrics. The board wins and the good faculty get run off and replaced with 'yes men.' I think if people really wanted to find out, i.e. ask around, you would find out that many more COMs than you think are doing this and not all of them are new. Its a bad practice, this taking in more than you plan to graduate, and it is the primary reasons I think that COCA should be taken over.

Reactions: 8 users
They must have changed that recently, because when I was there they gave us a huge run down at the interview about how they don’t let students repeat a year unless it’s a VERY extenuating circumstance. I did their masters program. I have 3 friends who got booted after their first year for failing 3 classes. They had a summer makeup process, but not a repeat the year scenario.
From what I hear, its not that you can't repeat, its that they do the 2 and done thing. You fail 2 classes or more and they will kick you, unless you have some connection. And you can fail a class just by failing a component of the class i.e. omm lab or any other lab even if overall is passing.
I have friends who were booted when they absolutely would have been permitted to continue at Nova. I did the masters program at DCOM and interviewed/got accepted there. They have a summer remediation system and you can repeat the year, but it’s extremely rare and yeah they have a super low cutoff before booting you.

• Angry
They must have changed that recently, because when I was there they gave us a huge run down at the interview about how they don’t let students repeat a year unless it’s a VERY extenuating circumstance. I did their masters program. I have 3 friends who got booted after their first year for failing 3 classes. They had a summer makeup process, but not a repeat the year scenario.

I have friends who were booted when they absolutely would have been permitted to continue at Nova. I did the masters program at DCOM and interviewed/got accepted there. They have a summer remediation system and you can repeat the year, but it’s extremely rare and yeah they have a super low cutoff before booting you.
Good choice, you must have been in anatomy when i was there.

I would like to quickly echo what is said above. current fourth year, matched, where I wanted, toward top of class, did good on boards, etc. Just say this so people don't think I am here being salty for getting kicked out or anything. This place is not good. Pretty much everything stated above is true, and now that we aren't allowed in clinical we are having to do so many meaningless assignments with such disorganization it is unimaginable, feels like we are back in second year again. Glad to be done with this hell hole in two weeks.

I will not really repeat what is stated above but things that should make people think twice about this place.

law school was not accredited for obvious reasons such as admitting those who should not be admitted and poor board scores
we lose probably 20-25% of our class. I think we had 202 match this year, started with 243... that means 20% of the class is SCREWED or held back. Yeah our match rate is OK since tons of people fail out.

PE pass rate sucks since our doctoring class is terrible. Bad advice, poor leadership.

The school has some of the highest profit margins of any DO school. Will have to find the spreadsheet from AACOM.

Just opened a new school in 2019 wow can't believe that was done.

Faculty being SHARED across campuses with curriculum being the same. They DO NOT HAVE FULL FACULTY AT BOTH SITES RED FLAG!!!!! Not two separate campuses really since they stream lectures to and from.

Lots of nebulous decision making by SPC. People that absolutely should not have been kicked out gone, those who maybe should have? Still here..

Clinical rotations hit or miss, I was sent to middle of nowhere dang that made auditions hard. Moved end of fourth year but why they pick some of their sites i have no idea. 50 bed hospitals.... lol

I don't post on SDN, just suck up info and cruise through like a passerby but damn this place sucks and it was worth making the account just for this one post. PEACE OUT

• Wow
Reactions: 11 users
I'm sorry that people get kicked out. I honestly think school's shouldn't admit someone if they think its unlikely they'll pass. Its irresponsible and they ruin lives because of it.

The truth is though, that all of them admit with an expectation that 8% or so will simply never graduate. Its built into their seats. When they are registered to have 150 seats, they admit 162 expected that at least the 12 will not make it. Its how it works.

Schools as a whole are predatory. Its why there's a direct correlation between loan increases and tuition increases (i.e. when the gov gives out more loans, the schools hike prices). Its not like suddenly its more costly to run the school, its simply that they recognize they can make more off of the backs of students.

With regards to scores/cutoffs, ultimately, there has to be a bar somewhere and UQ would have done the same thing. There are plenty of students that never make it through that program, SGU, AUC, Ross, etc. Its possible that they adjust that bar because of some nefarious plot, but honestly why should they? Its not like they are sanctioned if they retain more students. CUSOM graduated more than 150 and no one said anything. I think its much more believable that its more costly or more labor intensive to remediate a struggling student than just cut them loose, so schools do what's easiest. If it was all about money or placement rates, they'd just dismiss students in the middle of 4th year after collecting a ton of tuition money.

APRIL 9, 2018, 1:25 PM CDT
Duncan School of Law at Lincoln Memorial University in Knoxville, Tennessee, is “significantly out of compliance” with an accreditation standard requiring that schools admit candidates who appear capable of finishing law school and passing a bar exam, according to an April 5 letter released by the American Bar Association's Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar.

According to the communication, the accreditation committee found that the Tennessee law school was not in compliance with Standards 501(a) and (b), which state that law schools should maintain “sound admissions policies and practices” and not admit candidates who seem like they won’t finish law school or pass a bar exam.

To be fair, there are a ton of poorly performing or sanctioned or just straight up not accredited law schools out there. Its part of the reason why most people recommend going to a T20. But I'm also not surprised that one of those is at LMU.

Reactions: 3 users
As a current student (who matched in my desired specialty) I would echo everything that borntobedo and falconslick are saying. We are just trying to disseminate information so that people can make informed decisions. The guys in the premed forum do not want to listen, even though they are not even students. They just believe everything they are told on the interview day. Many of them end up back on sdn posting a few years later saying that we were right.

Reactions: 9 users
I agree with the above. Another fourth year here who would have to say almost everything stated here is true. The school is highly malicious and money hungry. Then they want us to provide them free PR posting videos and pictures of our match day. Of which almost none in our class did. If it was not for our class of 2020 strong student leadership I couldn’t imagine the mess we would be in right now. People match well at DCOM in spite of not due to benefit of the school. Just because we are happy with our matches does not mean we will forget the atrocities of the past. We did not get our 51k worth and we will let every soul that ever considers this place know. Now that we are done we will feel free to share the good, bad, and what needs to be improved on of this place.

If you are a student of LMU DCOM speak out. It is a free country and as long as what we say is true to the best of our knowledge and not slanderous then we should speak out.

Reactions: 14 users
US News says that LMU's Law School has 249 students enrolled, and charges $38K per year for the privilege of getting a law degree not worth the paper it is printed on. Potential students should be more discriminating consumers. Why spend $'s on worthless degrees and schools when you can do better? Do your research before committing to any questionable schools/programs. SDN provides a great service in this respect, regardless of what some school administrators have to say.

PS) And I believe Skahler has an undergrad degree in Neuroscience from Vanderbilt. So I'm going to place more of the blame on his struggles at LMU on the quality of instruction at that school, not on him.

Last edited:
US News says that LMU's Law School has 249 students enrolled, and charges $38K per year for the privilege of getting a law degree not worth the paper it is printed on. Potential students should be more discriminating consumers. Why spend $'s on worthless degrees and schools when you can do better? Do your research before committing to any questionable schools/programs. SDN provides a great service in this respect, regardless of what some school administrators have to say.

PS) And I believe Skahler has an undergrad degree in Neuroscience from Vanderbilt. So I'm going to place more of the blame on his struggles at LMU on the quality of instruction at that school, not on him.

The curriculum second year at lmu was of so low value it was unbelievable. I almost think the instructors would go out of our way (some) to keep us from studying for boards. Tests with incorrect answers picked. And then when we tell them they suck at writing questions they would say “you get to review the test as a privilege we can take it away”
When literally you are just covering up your sorry ass question writing sucky professors.
I would imagine the rest of the school is the same way. Terrible professors, blind administration, poor leadership. I can imagine the quality of their law school

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
The curriculum second year at lmu was of so low value it was unbelievable. I almost think the instructors would go out of our way (some) to keep us from studying for boards. Tests with incorrect answers picked. And then when we tell them they suck at writing questions they would say “you get to review the test as a privilege we can take it away”
When literally you are just covering up your sorry ass question writing sucky professors.
I would imagine the rest of the school is the same way. Terrible professors, blind administration, poor leadership. I can imagine the quality of their law school
We don’t get to see the tests at all now after it’s submitted. They do a “strengths and opportunities” report which is a joke. Half the time the professors leave it blank so we know the number we missed, like that’s helpful...

• Wow
We don’t get to see the tests at all now after it’s submitted. They do a “strengths and opportunities” report which is a joke. Half the time the professors leave it blank so we know the number we missed, like that’s helpful...
Guess they got tired of complaints. Some were not legit but the faculty are pretty resistant to correction. We should expect a lot for 51k. Wish they would just use NBME exams if they can’t write questions.

We don't get to see our exams either at my school. We only get a breakdown of the what type of questions were missed, what professor the questions belonged to, what subject area they covered, and how the class in general performed on those questions. Also, we use examplify for our tests. I don't know if that is relevant or not.

We don't get to see our exams either at my school. We only get a breakdown of the what type of questions were missed, what professor the questions belonged to, what subject area they covered, and how the class in general performed on those questions. Also, we use examplify for our tests. I don't know if that is relevant or not.
We use examplify too. And you get a lot more info than we do. I stopped looking at our reports bc I would literally see that I missed number 72, and that’s it. Completely blank and such a waste. Especially with mixed exams because who knows what subject that was from

We use Examplify at KCU too, we usually get a secure exam review after where we can see all the questions and the right answer, but not with the virus junk going on since we are testing from home.

It would not be such a big deal but people’s futures are on the line with these tests thus poor question writing should not be tolerated. I am greatly disappointed that they took exam review away. Shame on you LMU DCOM administration. I hope you all get on sdn and read these posts. You are all a joke and everyone knows it. We will not forget.

It would not be such a big deal but people’s futures are on the line with these tests thus poor question writing should not be tolerated. I am greatly disappointed that they took exam review away. Shame on you LMU DCOM administration. I hope you all get on sdn and read these posts. You are all a joke and everyone knows it. We will not forget.

From what i've heard, the classes above us ruined it for us so **shrugs** thanks

From what i've heard, the classes above us ruined it for us so **shrugs** thanks
The school ruined it by having poor question writing in second year. We also are the reason you all get uworld and OME and better board study materials. Be thankful

The school ruined it by having poor question writing in second year. We also are the reason you all get uworld and OME and better board study materials. Be thankful
It's not like NBOME doesn't give out materials and even seminars on how to write Board style questions. There is simply no excuse for faculty to be writing bad questions.

It's not like NBOME doesn't give out materials and even seminars on how to write Board style questions. There is simply no excuse for faculty to be writing bad questions.
We did have one test where murmurs were taught by three different professors. Two where right one was wrong. Only way to get her questions right was to guess her style of writing. I mean how can murmurs be subjective on a test? She later left the school since he’s being sued by a student for med mal now though. Lol suprise suprise. Felt bad for the good instructor having to clean up her mess. And everyone else she tainted

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 9 users
We did have one test where murmurs were taught by three different professors. Two where right one was wrong. Only way to get her questions right was to guess her style of writing. I mean how can murmurs be subjective on a test? She later left the school since he’s being sued by a student for med mal now though. Lol suprise suprise. Felt bad for the good instructor having to clean up her mess. And everyone else she tainted

Lol her name rhymes with “Cow”.

• Haha
  • Wow
Are the basic science courses at most DO schools taught by physicians or by PhDs? At my school the first two years were almost exclusively taught by PhDs, with the exception of (obviously) clinical skills courses and pathology, which was taught by MD pathologists.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Are the basic science courses at most DO schools taught by physicians or by PhDs? At my school the first two years were almost exclusively taught by PhDs, with the exception of (obviously) clinical skills courses and pathology, which was taught by MD pathologists.

PhDs mostly.

At my school it's mix, with a predominance of PhD.

A simple google search will also answer your question

Mostly phd year one then md/do year two. Pharm was always pharms

Late to the party, but:

We actually do this at TCOM.

Second-year blocks are split into a "Systems" and "OMM" section, and both sections must be individually passed to pass that block. If you fail one portion, you have to remediate, and two failures or a remediation failure is a year repeat.

It is, however, rare for people to fail the OMM portion in most blocks.

DMU had PhDs for all basic sciences 1st year, physicians for systems blocks during 2nd year.

Similar to other schools it was also 2 failures in 1 year usually meant dismissal, possibility of remediation/5 year plan.

The PHD overall did a lot better job teaching than the clinical faculty. I suppose it’s hard to get good clinicians to move to Harrogate TN. I was hoping the Knoxville campus would solve that problem but it looks like they have mostly the same clowns teaching essentials of patient care and other clinical lectures. Not a hard and fast rule but most clinical lectures emphasized stuff not important on step 1, 2, or three by that matter. It was disturbing. They couldn’t even get the drugs used for hypertension in pregnancy right in cardiovascular systems lectures. The OBGYN lectures were overall decent since they had a real OBGYN teaching instead of some die hard family medicine doc pretending they know everything.

I’ll never forget when we had a real endocrinologist come in after listening to one fam med doc spew nonsense in endocrine. The endo lady during her own lecture made it clear that the faculty had no idea what they were teaching. It’s so sad. Not against fam med docs at all but you can tell when it’s the ones from the 401 comlex SOAPed into FM club teaching.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
The PHD overall did a lot better job teaching than the clinical faculty. I suppose it’s hard to get good clinicians to move to Harrogate TN. I was hoping the Knoxville campus would solve that problem but it looks like they have mostly the same clowns teaching essentials of patient care and other clinical lectures. Not a hard and fast rule but most clinical lectures emphasized stuff not important on step 1, 2, or three by that matter. It was disturbing. They couldn’t even get the drugs used for hypertension in pregnancy right in cardiovascular systems lectures. The OBGYN lectures were overall decent since they had a real OBGYN teaching instead of some die hard family medicine doc pretending they know everything.

I’ll never forget when we had a real endocrinologist come in after listening to one fam med doc spew nonsense in endocrine. The endo lady during her own lecture made it clear that the faculty had no idea what they were teaching. It’s so sad. Not against fam med docs at all but you can tell when it’s the ones from the 401 comlex SOAPed into FM club teaching.
My experience was very different. The thing I (and almost the entirety of my class) loathed the most about the clinical faculty we brought in for systems blocks was that they were exactly that, specialists in each of those fields who hadn't sat for step 1 in ages or really hadnt taught much. With few exceptions, most of them quickly went down the rabbit hole of zebra conditions in their field, and the management thereof that might have been good if we were residents or fellows, but we just needed to start with the basics of each of these fields.

What I think preclinical courses should focus on: What are the common things, the basic science behind those common things, and then maybe some of classic zebras that make good Step questions. The venn diagram of what was presented during systems blocks and what was found in Step 1 prep/useful stuff for rotations had almost no overlap.

I can't say that FM teaching every system is ideal, but having subspecialists (who suck at teaching) teach everything came with massive headaches as well.

• Hmm
My experience was very different. The thing I (and almost the entirety of my class) loathed the most about the clinical faculty we brought in for systems blocks was that they were exactly that, specialists in each of those fields who hadn't sat for step 1 in ages or really hadnt taught much. With few exceptions, most of them quickly went down the rabbit hole of zebra conditions in their field, and the management thereof that might have been good if we were residents or fellows, but we just needed to start with the basics of each of these fields.

What I think preclinical courses should focus on: What are the common things, the basic science behind those common things, and then maybe some of classic zebras that make good Step questions. The venn diagram of what was presented during systems blocks and what was found in Step 1 prep/useful stuff for rotations had almost no overlap.

I can't say that FM teaching every system is ideal, but having subspecialists (who suck at teaching) teach everything came with massive headaches as well.
Yeah we had a couple of those. It’s one thing to teach too in-depth (we have that also) but another to have no idea what you are talking about. I mean a school has no excuse to not be able to provide decent lectures. They have the money for it they just do not care

Am I the only one who wants to know more about the above?

That speaks to your school's lousy hiring practices. Any school worth their salt would intervene on lectures on the above. Part of getting a teaching job is demonstrating a sample lecture. That should have been nipped in the bud or the person not hired. If the person lapsed into that during their lecture after getting the job, it should have been corrected immediately by the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.