Loma Linda

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Driller23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There have been a few threads recently about Loma Linda and admissibility of predents who are not 7th Day Adventists.

I was just wondering: is there anyone here on SDN who is not 7th Day Adventist and goes to LLU, and has mediocre stats (~GPA 3.3)?

And also, can anyone explain exactly what the secondary application entails? There was some mention of applicants having to get a reference or signature by a clergy member? Clergyman of any faith??

Members don't see this ad.

Driller23 said:
There have been a few threads recently about Loma Linda and admissibility of predents who are not 7th Day Adventists.

I was just wondering: is there anyone here on SDN who is not 7th Day Adventist and goes to LLU, and has mediocre stats (~GPA 3.3)?

And also, can anyone explain exactly what the secondary application entails? There was some mention of applicants having to get a reference or signature by a clergy member? Clergyman of any faith??

Hello,

You don't have to be a 7th Adventist to be excepted. I have a friend who graduated from LLU. She was not in a particular church, she just told them that she was a believer of God and that she tried to honor him in whatever she did. That is the info that I can give you. I will personally apply to LLU next year.

Are you applying to LLU??? And if so, are you going to the dental workshop this summer at LLU?? I ask cause I plan to go.

i have a 3.2 and am applying there this cycle, I'm SDA. so I dunno. I don't know how much of a shot at an interview I have anyway. do they send the secondary out if they think you have a decent shot at an interview, or does everyone fill it out?

Members don't see this ad :)
pre-dent said:
Hello,

You don't have to be a 7th Adventist to be excepted. I have a friend who graduated from LLU. She was not in a particular church, she just told them that she was a believer of God and that she tried to honor him in whatever she did. That is the info that I can give you. I will personally apply to LLU next year.

Are you applying to LLU??? And if so, are you going to the dental workshop this summer at LLU?? I ask cause I plan to go.

i personally think that any dent/med school that uses race or religion as a primary screening factor for admission resigns themselves to admitting less than the most qualified applicants, period. how would you like to go see a periodontist who's primary reason for admission was his religion or color? i'd like to see the most qualified, not the most christian or the most pigmented. have it any way you want, but i want the best doctor, irregardless of race/religion.

996tt,
I agree with you, BUT the school happens to be a private SDA institution and so our needs may be well-met there and their expectations for their students may also be better met with SDA students. also, GPA does not necessarily define the type of dentist you'll be. there is an interview, and a whole other slew of factors to help them decide on who is qualified for THEIR school. It just might be easier for an SDA kid with a 3.2 to get their foot in the doot for an interview than an atheist with a 3.2. That's just due to their preferences. Different schools look for different traits in their potential dental students, that's all.

mlle said:
996tt,
I agree with you, BUT the school happens to be a private SDA institution and so our needs may be well-met there and their expectations for their students may also be better met with SDA students. also, GPA does not necessarily define the type of dentist you'll be. there is an interview, and a whole other slew of factors to help them decide on who is qualified for THEIR school. It just might be easier for an SDA kid with a 3.2 to get their foot in the doot for an interview than an atheist with a 3.2. That's just due to their preferences. Different schools look for different traits in their potential dental students, that's all.

i hear you-but their decision making process is primarily racist. what if duke, which is a private institution, only accepts white students into their med school. or case western only accepts jews? columbia only wants to offer positions to presbyterians? is that okay too? i would say not, and if it is wrong for a, then it is wrong for b. just my opinion, but i think the practice sucks.

yea but for example, their program involves attending religious classes, and not everyone would be happy in such an environment and so it wouldn't be beneficial to them or the school. if they do that, they must want ppl who attend to benefit from it, right? and who better to benefit than someone who wants to take the class.

I dunno, I just see it more as a general criteria in their case. they want someone who will serve their community, kind of like a program that might prefer spanish-speaking students because their community is largely hispanic.

mlle said:
yea but for example, their program involves attending religious classes, and not everyone would be happy in such an environment and so it wouldn't be beneficial to them or the school. if they do that, they must want ppl who attend to benefit from it, right? and who better to benefit than someone who wants to take the class.

I dunno, I just see it more as a general criteria in their case. they want someone who will serve their community, kind of like a program that might prefer spanish-speaking students because their community is largely hispanic.

let me ask you-when you are just to be anesthetized before you get an emergency coronary bypass operation secondary to unstable angina, do you want to see the face of the cardiac surgeon who went to the correct religious class? i'd be damned if i was about to be treated by any physician who's primary reason for being there was his/her religious affilation. i'll take the most qualified and best trained all of the time. i guess we agree to disagree.

well just because a surgeon is religious doesn't make him/her less qualified either. what if God exists and the surgeon says a prayer when something critical is happening during surgery? if you assume that God exists and helps in that case, then maybe that surgeon will have more success than the great doctor you describe.

i guess our difference is that you think it's one or the other - either you're religious and not a great doctor, or otherwise a great doctor, and I think both traits can be found in the same individual. And if that's the case, then why wouldn't LLU go for someone with both?

mlle said:
well just because a surgeon is religious doesn't make him/her less qualified either. what if God exists and the surgeon says a prayer when something critical is happening during surgery? if you assume that God exists and helps in that case, then maybe that surgeon will have more success than the great doctor you describe.

i guess our difference is that you think it's one or the other - either you're religious and not a great doctor, or otherwise a great doctor, and I think both traits can be found in the same individual. And if that's the case, then why wouldn't LLU go for someone with both?

just a point of advice-arguing religion or politics will get you nowhere. having said that, LLU is going primarily for people who are first of their preferred religion, then after that is settled, they are looking for qualified people. they are not looking for jews who are extremely strong candidates. be that as it may, good luck with your admissions process.

996tt said:
just a point of advice-arguing religion or politics will get you nowhere. having said that, LLU is going primarily for people who are first of their preferred religion, then after that is settled, they are looking for qualified people. they are not looking for jews who are extremely strong candidates. be that as it may, good luck with your admissions process.

I like to think of this as a conversation, not an argument. it's 1/53 schools, so if I were you I'd concentrate on the other 52 and not get so worked up by the practices of one. it's been fun, albeit somewhat redunfant. good luck to you too, though.

may the Force be with you. :D