Looking for a Little Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnny Appleseed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am just looking for some advice out there. I have been preparing for med school for a little while now, but I got my hopes destroyed the other day by a school premed advisor. I have a CNA and quite a bit of volunteer experience. I won't go into details on that, but I wanted to discuss my transcript. In my first few semesters of college I was a little lost and didn't really know what I was doing. In my first few semesters I was able to rack up 8 W's and 5 F's. Since that time I have gotten 4.0s and I have raised my GPA to a 3.2. I still have another three or four semesters to keep improving it. I figure by the time I apply to med schools, I can get my cumulative up to a 3.5 and my science GPA will be around a 3.85, if I continue doing as well as I am. I am looking for advice on if I should even continue anymore. Are my 8 W's and 5 F's too much to overcome? Is there even a shot that I can get into med school? Right now it feels like there really isn't... I don't want to have any false hopes so feel free to be honest with me. If I don't have a chance I don't want to continue working towards it. That said I am very driven and willing to put in the work if there is still a chance for me, I'm not quite ready to give up. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

If you have this:

"I can get my cumulative up to a 3.5 and my science GPA will be around a 3.85,"

Despite the 5 F's , you are perfectly fine!! You must have done amazing the rest of your time at school to overcome 5 F's on your transcript.

You can for sure get there, keep working on it!

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with Westerredcedar. Also some schools reward reinvention and hard work. As Tupac said, keep your head up. I admire your determination and courage.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have this:

"I can get my cumulative up to a 3.5 and my science GPA will be around a 3.85,"

Despite the 5 F's , you are perfectly fine!! You must have done amazing the rest of your time at school to overcome 5 F's on your transcript.

You can for sure get there, keep working on it!
Thanks, I will keep working on getting that GPA up. Two more semesters and I think I will have it there.

Rising trends are always good, your advisor is rather ignorant, and there are a number of MD schools (and ALL DO schools) that reward reinvention. Just make sure to ace MCAT.

Hey all,

I am just looking for some advice out there. I have been preparing for med school for a little while now, but I got my hopes destroyed the other day by a school premed advisor. I have a CNA and quite a bit of volunteer experience. I won't go into details on that, but I wanted to discuss my transcript. In my first few semesters of college I was a little lost and didn't really know what I was doing. In my first few semesters I was able to rack up 8 W's and 5 F's. Since that time I have gotten 4.0s and I have raised my GPA to a 3.2. I still have another three or four semesters to keep improving it. I figure by the time I apply to med schools, I can get my cumulative up to a 3.5 and my science GPA will be around a 3.85, if I continue doing as well as I am. I am looking for advice on if I should even continue anymore. Are my 8 W's and 5 F's too much to overcome? Is there even a shot that I can get into med school? Right now it feels like there really isn't... I don't want to have any false hopes so feel free to be honest with me. If I don't have a chance I don't want to continue working towards it. That said I am very driven and willing to put in the work if there is still a chance for me, I'm not quite ready to give up. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Rising trends are always good, your advisor is rather ignorant, and there are a number of MD schools (and ALL DO schools) that reward reinvention. Just make sure to ace MCAT.
What type of score would be considered an "ace" on the MCAT? I guess it will be different for me anyways because I will take the new MCAT in 2015, and I am assuming the scoring system will be different.

What type of score would be considered an "ace" on the MCAT? I guess it will be different for me anyways because I will take the new MCAT in 2015, and I am assuming the scoring system will be different.
10 in each section is baseline for MD in most states. 11 in each is good. 12 in each is excellent.

Reactions: 1 user
10 in each section is baseline for MD in most states. 11 in each is good. 12 in each is excellent.
So with a 3.5 GPA will I need an excellent score to be competitive for mid tier med schools? I don't plan on taking the MCAT until I am consistently getting a competitive score on practice tests.

I am also curious as to which MD schools specifically reward reinvention. Is that information public or available through MSAR or any other resources. If not, can you possibly name a few? Thanks!

So with a 3.5 GPA will I need an excellent score to be competitive for mid tier med schools? I don't plan on taking the MCAT until I am consistently getting a competitive score on practice tests.
In what state are you a resident?

Utah... I know that limits my options.
Actually, it could be much worse. Utah's mission statement:The University of Utah School of Medicine serves the people of Utah and beyond by continually improving individual and community health and quality of life. This is achieved through excellence in patient care, education, and research. Each is vital to our mission and each makes the others stronger.
A minimum of 82% of the available positions are offered to Utah residents and/or nonresidents who graduated from a Utah high school, college, or university.

The 10% gpa is 3.43 and the median MCAT for accepted is only 30.

Still, you need to be prepared to apply OOS so a 33+ is a good idea for MD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Actually, it could be much worse. Utah's mission statement:The University of Utah School of Medicine serves the people of Utah and beyond by continually improving individual and community health and quality of life. This is achieved through excellence in patient care, education, and research. Each is vital to our mission and each makes the others stronger.
A minimum of 82% of the available positions are offered to Utah residents and/or nonresidents who graduated from a Utah high school, college, or university.

The 10% gpa is 3.43 and the median MCAT for matriculates is only 30.

Still, you need to be prepared to apply OOS so a 33+ is a good idea for MD.
Thanks! This will help my preparation a lot. I will aim for a minimum 33. I am also not against DO schools as a back up plan, am I qualified for good DO schools (e.g. Midwestern University) with a 3.5 GPA and around a 30 MCAT? I really want to accomplish this because of pure and good intentions, but I won't mind telling my premed advisor he was dead wrong someday either.

am I qualified for good DO schools (e.g. Midwestern University) with a 3.5 GPA and around a 30 MCAT?
Better to ask Goro, I'm no expert in DO admissions. My impression is that those stats are quite competitive, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know how Midwestern University would view me? Would a 3.5 GPA and 30+ MCAT be competitive for their program, even with 5 f's and 8 W's? Also I have a family member who graduated from their med school, I have visited their campus often, and was there for her graduation, would that connection help me in any way?

Last edited:
Based upon posts by some successful SDNers, I'd say: Albany, Tufts, NYMC, Drexel, Case, Tulane and for NYers, SUNY Upstate.

I am also curious as to which MD schools specifically reward reinvention. Is that information public or available through MSAR or any other resources. If not, can you possibly name a few? Thanks!

With those numbers you'd be competitive any any DO program, including mine.

Thanks! This will help my preparation a lot. I will aim for a minimum 33. I am also not against DO schools as a back up plan, am I qualified for good DO schools (e.g. Midwestern University) with a 3.5 GPA and around a 30 MCAT? I really want to accomplish this because of pure and good intentions, but I won't mind telling my premed advisor he was dead wrong someday either.