Looking for information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krarndt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your most relevant information might come from your Master's program. They generally collect the professional school outcomes for their own students.

I'm sure you realize that graduate grades are not averaged into your UG gpa and do not compensate for weak undergraduate performance. A master's can give you time to strengthen your application, give you clinical experience (sometimes) and provide new letters. They do not give reviewers an idea about your ability to handle med school volume and difficulty unless they are specifically designed to do so. Taking classes with the 1st year students does not show that you can handle the volume of material if you take a different test or are graded differently from the med students.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am planning to apply to roughly 30 schools for MD, and I have done some research into DO, should I also apply to a few DO schools, or does this come off as lacking commitment to the allopathic schools?

I'm not qualified to answer your question about grad school--I didn't go to one--but I can answer this.

MD and DO schools don't communicate during the application process, so there is no way for MD schools to even know that you're applying DO as well. Knock yourself out!

I am taking the same exams as the medical students, and Iam graded on the same scale. There is no curve or adjustment of grades. If you score 90% of the questions correct then you earn a 90% which then falls into the A- range. Which was the case for me. While the medical students are graded in the same un adjusted manner, however they are pass/fail and only need to get above a 70% to get a pass in the couse, most of them struggled to even reach that threshold.
Is is called an SMP and is there a linkage with a medical school?

It is the Masters of Arts in Neurobiology and Anatomy at Boston University school of Medicine. I have not heard it described as SMP, but I am taking the same exact exams and being graded on the same standard that the medical students are.
Does your master's program have a linkage or agreement with the med school to preferentially interview their students who do well?

I intend to mention that I was taking the first year medical classes in my personal statement. I began drafting it this week so it is still very rough, however I know I will include somewhere in my application that I was taking medical school courses and performing well.

I personally think something like this should go into your secondary app, the place where you add 'additional information'.

Although the masters is very important to you and will be an important factor in your application cycle, I don't think you should focus on something that you did for the purpose of making up for past mistakes, even though you're excelling at it.

The personal statement is a chance for you to talk about the reasons you want to go into medicine, and the steps you've made along the way in your decision to dedicate yourself to medicine. How you've matured since college shouldn't be in here.

Take it from someone who went to the BU MAMS program with a 2.7 uGPA/2.6 sGPA. I've gotten a few interviews and one acceptance.

Also, these programs generally average about 80-85% acceptance to Allopathic, DO, and Dental schools. You should contact each school individually to find out specifically their allopathic acceptance rates. Many of them won't give out that information, but I'm sure BU will if you go to GMS and ask Diana nicely :)