LOR Confusion - NEED HELP DESPERATELY !!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medbound786

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey people;

I have two questions that I really need help with :confused:

1. How do we Waive our right to access our LORs? Do we sign a specific form or something?

2. Do Medical schools look down upon you if you have the LOR sent directly from the referees themselves instead of having sent collectively from a collecting service like "Interfolio" or something of that sort?

Thanks in advance !!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it is looked down upon by the school just the letter writer who has to send it to the 25+ places some people apply to.
As to your first question, i dunno.

Medbound786 said:
Hey people;

1. How do we Waive our right to access our LORs? Do we sign a specific form or something?

2. Do Medical schools look down upon you if you have the LOR sent directly from the referees themselves instead of having sent collectively from a collecting service like "Interfolio" or something of that sort?

Thanks in advance !!

1. I think each school has their own form to waive the right to view it. My pre-med committee also had a form they used. It shouldn't be a problem.

2. No, I think most people have the letters sent from the writers. As long as you don't collect them and send them yourself you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
#1) A Waiver form from whichever service you'll be using. If you're not using this, then you wont have access to the letters unless your writers will give you a copy.

#2) like people have said already, they wont look down upon, infact, if its written on their personal letterhead, i think it would mean more.

And Will, my goodness i fear that you pwn everyone.

Thanks for appreciating my profile. I was hesitant to link it, but I always like to look at other people's when I read posts.

willthatsall said:
Thanks for appreciating my profile. I was hesitant to link it, but I always like to look at other people's when I read posts.

Hesitant why? There's nothing to be ashamed of! The only hiccup I could see you encountering is lack of research, which some of the top tiers will look for. I think I'm at the opposite end as you, with too much research and too little clinical. Oh well, best of luck to you.

Medbound786 said:
Hey people;

Thanks in advance !!

Letters without waivers are ABSOLUTELY USELESS, so get a letter service like Interfolio (Also, you make a negative impression on your writer if you ask him to make 16 copies and send them out.

And Willthatsall, you're going to have AN EXCELLENT application experience and get into an incredible school, but you may want to throw in a couple of more safety schools just for peace of mind. Good luck to the both of you!