Low GPA but want to go Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaterMolecules

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm a pre-med student at Georgia Tech but I have a low GPA, a really low GPA. I actually transferred over from Georgia Southern University (had a 4.0 GPA) during my freshmen year, taking bio 1, phys 1, and all of gen chem. However, when I transferred to Georgia Tech, and started Organic Chemistry 1 and bio 2 (along with this chem course Quantitative Analysis [I really hated this course], a government course, and linear algebra), my gpa fell so low..to a 1.93..I have no idea how this happened. In the beginning of the semester I was so determined to get a 4.0 or near 4.0 gpa at that school, and I knew it would be tough. That second semester and during the summer my GPA was, respectively, was a 1.81 and a 1.0 (I only took one course during the summer, which was Phys 2). And the 1.81 included Organic Chem 2. So my overall GPA for sopohmore year became a 1.74, and the institution does not count previous institution GPA, so I am now put it in Academic Drop (for one semester). I just didn't focus at all or study NEARLY enough, and I know that now. Now I don't really know what to do. Should I continue with Tech and try to get 4.0's for the next couple of semesters, giving me a 3.0 average? Or should I go back to Southern where my sophomore year grades (the ones which I didn't get a D, like bio 1, orgo 1, and a few others) transfer the credits but the grades, giving me a 4.0 still in that institution so far? If I do return to Tech, should I retake the pre med courses I got a D on (Orgo 2 and phys 2)? How will that look when med schools look at my transcript (assuming I got an A in both those retaken courses)? Also if I continue with either path, what are my chances of getting into med school, assuming I get a really good MCAT score (I've been studying a lot for it) and have extra curriculars (research, volunteering)? And/or which path will make make me have a higher chance to get into medical school? Also, when is the best time to take the MCAT? I'm going to be a junior in college. Please reply and thank you for your help

Members don't see this ad.

were u busy working, other commitments, or having too much of a social life? why did ur gpa fall that much and why do you assume its not gonna happen anymore? All classes are accounted for amcas gpa so do you want to transfer back?

When you fell to a 1.81, is that cumulative? Or semester GPA? Because you will be hard pressed pulling that 1.81 to something near competitive for MD schools. But it isn't impossible.

Members don't see this ad :)
The new school environment got to me..I didn't have any friends in this new school, I left a lot of my old ones at my previous institute, and my confidence went down after I did poorly on a bio test, which made my mindset just go "I'm going to fail, no point in even trying." But that's all my fault. We also had a death in the family, which really affected me and my parents. But no excuses. and after talking to my advisor and after this awful situation, I'm starting to get my act together and hoping to do much better.

And I'm still unsure about the transfer..its just a hard decision..

Last edited:
When you fell to a 1.81, is that cumulative? Or semester GPA? Because you will be hard pressed pulling that 1.81 to something near competitive for MD schools. But it isn't impossible.

The 1.81 was a semester, but I also had a 1.93 first semester, and then had a D in summer (one class, so a 1.0) which brought my sophomore GPA to a 1.74 (this doesn't average the 4.0 GPA from my previous institution) Which is really low.

Btw I also want to be an oncologist...

Grade replacement + DO

Reactions: 1 users
DO would be an easier route if you had grade replacement. But since Georgia Tech doesn't do that, I guess it's only up from here on out. Take upper level courses if you can and make a 4.0 each semester. I would also implore you to shadow doctors, both MD and DO, to make sure you want to go through this route. Look into other health-related fields such as being a PA or RN/NP. Seriously consider looking into the options because, in all honesty, this track record will not get you into medical school.

I'll be the one to tell you the truth. You really don't have a chance. If I read your post correctly, you have had 3+ semesters of a sub-2.0 GPA. No one will look at that kindly.

Just retake the classes and do well in them, get As from now on (I would guess 3more years) you should be able to go to an MD.
One bad year will not hurt you if you have a good explanation. And if you get As for the other years. But you really need to work hard, As don't come just like that, and you should have an alarm signal during the first test and the first quiz, if you don't do well, you need to work harder.

My school doesn't replace previous grades with new ones (if taking the same subject again) :( I'm kind of worried.

Could be wrong but I believe it's not up to your school to replace the grades if you decide to apply to DO programs. If you retake the same/correct equivalent course (at any institution) you enter all attempts on the AACOMAS app but only the last grade earned will be used to calculate your GPA.

Reactions: 5 users
My school doesn't replace previous grades with new ones (if taking the same subject again) :( I'm kind of worried.

This is why you have to list every course you take in AMCAS and AACOMAS. The application service calculates a GPA and doesn't use your school's GPA. DO schools do grade replacement for equivalent courses even if your school doesn't. AMCAS does not do grade replacement, it will only average the retake with the previous grade, so your AMCAS GPA would be significantly lower than your AACOMAS GPA.

Without grade replacement, you really don't have a chance. Replacing your low grades with A's and B's can demonstrate that while you did have a rough start, you stepped it up considerably and you are academically prepared. You need to figure out what went wrong, correct it, and do your best from here on out. I don't accept that you have no idea how you got down to a 1.93. If you truly have no idea, spend some time figuring it out, because you need to do something differently from here on out.

At this point, you're probably not going to be applying to med school for a couple of years, so don't plan to take the MCAT too soon, as it would probably expire. Most people take it in the spring before they apply to schools, or the summer before. You also did poorly in some of the pre-reqs, so you need to retake them and have a good foundation in those before tackling the MCAT. I'd say with retaking those courses and doing well on the MCAT, you should probably be fine for DO schools in a few years, even though you may have to take an extra year or two to get there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
100% agree with my young colleague. The only other alternative is to first fix what's broken. If you need to take some time off, then do so. if you need to relocate to another school, do so.

If you can finish UG with a strong upward trend, I suggest that you then do a SMP, preferably one at a medical school. Then ace the MCAT. There are medical schools that believe in redemption.

This is why you have to list every course you take in AMCAS and AACOMAS. The application service calculates a GPA and doesn't use your school's GPA. DO schools do grade replacement for equivalent courses even if your school doesn't. AMCAS does not do grade replacement, it will only average the retake with the previous grade, so your AMCAS GPA would be significantly lower than your AACOMAS GPA.

Without grade replacement, you really don't have a chance. Replacing your low grades with A's and B's can demonstrate that while you did have a rough start, you stepped it up considerably and you are academically prepared. You need to figure out what went wrong, correct it, and do your best from here on out. I don't accept that you have no idea how you got down to a 1.93. If you truly have no idea, spend some time figuring it out, because you need to do something differently from here on out.

At this point, you're probably not going to be applying to med school for a couple of years, so don't plan to take the MCAT too soon, as it would probably expire. Most people take it in the spring before they apply to schools, or the summer before. You also did poorly in some of the pre-reqs, so you need to retake them and have a good foundation in those before tackling the MCAT. I'd say with retaking those courses and doing well on the MCAT, you should probably be fine for DO schools in a few years, even though you may have to take an extra year or two to get there.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would be very pessimistic about anything under a 2.0 (even anything below a 3.0 generally) but it doesn't have to equate to an all end. Have you looked into the process of how final GPA is calculated for the AMCAS/AACOMAS? I feel that a better understanding of that would provide for a better vision of what your options are. Also don't forget how much of an impact the MCAT has-- as well as your extracurricular activities. You might be no where near par when it comes to GPA, but a varied/diverse background has done wonders for many. Still, you can be the most impressive applicant (outside of in evaluation of grades) but with a 1.74 (or 1.81)-- a lot of schools are not going to look past it. Something would probably have to be done. There is some good advice on this thread, I would look into it.

Last edited:
I'm just a lowly pre-med, but at this point if I were you I'd be more concerned with meeting minimum grade requirements to graduate. In my major at least, any GPA below 2.0 is ineligible to receive their degree.

I'm not saying don't listen to the phenomenal (as usual) advice of @Ismet and @Goro about med school, but I'd take things one step at a time. Going from a 1.79 student to competitive med school applicant is not going to happen overnight. I'd primarily focus on your grades at this point, no MCAT prep and VERY limited EC's, if any. At least get that GPA up so you can graduate, and if things are going well, then shoot for med school.

I would like to start by saying that judging students based upon GPA is an illogical process which should be terminated. It makes no sense to compare GPA's of people from different institutions: I used to think that I was dumb or not as hardworking as others to get below a 3.0 in undergrad. Then in my Master's and PhD programs, I became the smart person who did so much better than the other people----and worked far less hard than in undergrad. Some people take the easy way out in college via easier classes or easier colleges in general, and it is thus difficult to ascertain whether a student has a 'low' GPA due to the academic rigor of the school or class or because of a personal issue. I took a very difficult math course in college (far beyond Calc 3 or differential equations) and earned a 'D+' in it. I worked so hard for that grade and the professor even complimented my work to achieve this. Meanwhile at other colleges, this would have been a grade which you could only get by complete laziness or ignorance. I probably should have taken some lower level econ class instead and gotten an A, but I learned more in the math class than I would have if I had taken the easy way out. I also gave up a full scholarship to a school ranked about 50, at which I could have easily earned a high GPA, to attend a much more rigorous university so that I could learn more. (It isn't about that anymore, is it?) This should be more commendable than taking an easy road with carefully orchestrated classes to ensure a good GPA.

So regarding your plight, I would do the best you can in classes and not give up on your dreams; I would advise you to explain the situation to anyone who may listen who could vouch for you in an admission process and to boast the prestige of your institution. Life is not fair, but it is better to reach for our goals and for justice and fail than to sit back and watch injustice breed. I think people who believe this is wrong should petition schools to change their admission policies to more holistic approaches and to weigh test scores more heavily (because they are certainly more standardized than college is).

I would like to start by saying that judging students based upon GPA is an illogical process which should be terminated. It makes no sense to compare GPA's of people from different institutions: I used to think that I was dumb or not as hardworking as others to get below a 3.0 in undergrad. Then in my Master's and PhD programs, I became the smart person who did so much better than the other people----and worked far less hard than in undergrad. Some people take the easy way out in college via easier classes or easier colleges in general, and it is thus difficult to ascertain whether a student has a 'low' GPA due to the academic rigor of the school or class or because of a personal issue. I took a very difficult math course in college (far beyond Calc 3 or differential equations) and earned a 'D+' in it. I worked so hard for that grade and the professor even complimented my work to achieve this. Meanwhile at other colleges, this would have been a grade which you could only get by complete laziness or ignorance. I probably should have taken some lower level econ class instead and gotten an A, but I learned more in the math class than I would have if I had taken the easy way out. I also gave up a full scholarship to a school ranked about 50, at which I could have easily earned a high GPA, to attend a much more rigorous university so that I could learn more. (It isn't about that anymore, is it?) This should be more commendable than taking an easy road with carefully orchestrated classes to ensure a good GPA.

So regarding your plight, I would do the best you can in classes and not give up on your dreams; I would advise you to explain the situation to anyone who may listen who could vouch for you in an admission process and to boast the prestige of your institution. Life is not fair, but it is better to reach for our goals and for justice and fail than to sit back and watch injustice breed. I think people who believe this is wrong should petition schools to change their admission policies to more holistic approaches and to weigh test scores more heavily (because they are certainly more standardized than college is).

Sadly, it doesn't seem to be about that anymore. Anything under a 3.5 and you're a pariah.

As a guy who dropped out of school once with 100 credits below 3.0.....if your gpa is below 3.0 then you are either dumber or working less than those thay get into med school

Do the legwork and raise your grades

I kind of agree with you. I think GPA is a terrible measurement because everyone at my university is extremely smart and if the class is curved to a B or C, people who are average, but still extremely smart are screwed over in terms of getting into medical school. Although, there are always ways to get higher GPA even with difficult majors at strong universities. I'm kind of sad that when I picked electives, I picked the class with the highest average expected grades.

Sigh....sadly this doesn't seem to matter much in regards to getting into Med School. But I agree with you, and have mentioned the same statements on sdn before.

Adcoms factor in undergrad institution, but they really do care about gpa as well, regardless of where you went to school. So to the OP who is at Tech, if you feel like you can bring up your gpa above a 3.0, go for it. It will be a challenge but doable. If you dont, then this will seriously hurt any chance you have in getting into medical school. Its that simple.

So although I agree with you @squiggles91 in med school admissions, you gotta play the game. As unfortunate as that is, and despite how highly ranked your undergrad is/was.

The new school environment got to me..I didn't have any friends in this new school, I left a lot of my old ones at my previous institute, and my confidence went down after I did poorly on a bio test, which made my mindset just go "I'm going to fail, no point in even trying." But that's all my fault. We also had a death in the family, which really affected me and my parents. But no excuses. and after talking to my advisor and after this awful situation, I'm starting to get my act together and hoping to do much better.

And I'm still unsure about the transfer..its just a hard decision..
You just made excuses in the previous two sentences. With your track record it doesn't look like you have a chance at a US MD school, possibly DO if you retake a lot of classes and get As, but it just doesn't sound like you have the capability. Cheer up though, school isn't for everyone, there are other ways you can make money.

I'll be the one to tell you the truth. You really don't have a chance. If I read your post correctly, you have had 3+ semesters of a sub-2.0 GPA. No one will look at that kindly.
Don't schools kick you out of you have less than a 2.0??

Re-do the courses and apply to only DO programs as they do grade replacement instead of grade averaging like others have already said -- also consider taking less rigorous classes concurrently, your class schedule looks like someone who just wanted to graduate without wanting to pull a high GPA. That works well if you want to just work after college, depending on your major and goals, but not so well for applying to medical school. Alternatively, assuming going from almost failing to superstar isn't reliable, consider other programs that'll get your foot into the door in medicine such as PA or NP; though I'm not sure how they do grade replacements or averaging, you'd have to ask someone in those forums or look it up by searching. Also, address the root of why you were doing bad whether that be depression, anxiety, or possibly both. Don't be surprised though if you need to do some serious post bacc. work to make everything come together. Lastly, nursing (RN or BSN) isn't bad either, you'd probably spend a lot more time with patients than I ever will.

FYI, medical school is pretty damn hard too, so you need to get your issues straight anyways and now's better than later. Just for the love of all that is holy don't jump into a Caribbean school to try to make amends. By the way, even if people get into medical school, most people don't do the specialty they imagined (from exposure to other fields, or exposure to the on you thought you wanted to do, or competitiveness) so don't let it all hinge on oncology.

Last edited: