low GPA decent MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananaspajamas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
c

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How many credits have you already earned for that 3.31 cGPA? What is the reasonable potential for raising the GPAs before graduation?

Have you checked on your favored schools to see if they have grade expectations for the prerequisites? Some want to see nothing below a C+ or B-.

Any research? And what is your state of resicency?

Members don't see this ad :)
it would be easier to say if you listed your activities and achievements more in depth.

honestly, it's up in the air. your EC's will make or break you at this point as well as your state of residency. You have a great MCAT score but I dont know if it will make up for your GPA (want to aim for 3.50). Don't consider doing a post bac yet as your grade might actually get worse. After all, aren't you getting your worst grades in the upper div chem courses? Most people who do post bac get poor grades in their freshmen year and woke up or took classes in subjects they weren't good at like math or english.

Your research and leadership are terrific. The shadowing was broad-based. I know the peds research was clinical, but can't tell if a med school would consider it sufficient for "clinical experience" since you didn't detail it. If it is, I'd say you have a shot at your state schools with your current numbers, and some less-selective OOS schools. If you aspire to more selective schools, I'm not sure a postbac would raise yor GPAs enough to be worth it. You could consider a Special Masters Program to redeem your low numbers.

You didn't happen to get an A in Biochem, by any chance? Any pubs?