Low Stat Current sophomore advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwingman67

Reaction score
Hello! I am new to the forums and wanted advice

I am about to finish my sophomore year in college. I go to school at a medium sized ohio private university.

My GPA after this semester should be around 3.05 overall and 2.7 science GPA
I have had an upward trend each semester I just has a very bad freshman year first semester.

What should I do?
I am almost 20 and a URM
I have a good amount of shadowing hours and volunteering and involved in a good amount of clubs but not over done.

Would I even get accepted into an SMP if I apply next year as a junior? My junior year schedule fall semester is a good amount "easier" than my second semester sophomore schedule. I am taking physiology, chem lab, and genetics lab next fall along with psychology, medial ethics, horror film analysis (requirement), and history. I think I can pull all As in all of them but I need to stay on top of it in physiology. I think the others I can get an A in as I have done AP psych in HS and got an A and everything else I think I can as I am a very good writer (recommended by English profs to enter writing competitions but declined but I wish I was good right now in my other classes). I believe I can get around a 3.2 overall after junior year and a 2.8-2.9 science

I guess what I am trying to say is I don't think my GPA is an accurate representation of what I can do now especially after what happened freshman year. I was going through personal issues but I'm not here to seek forgiveness or sympathy. Can I get into an SMP with my stats? or what are some recommendation?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you can still get into SMP programs with those stats, although I can't name any on top of my head since it's been a while.

Yes, you can still get into SMP programs with those stats, although I can't name any on top of my head since it's been a while.
I redid my calculations and after my junior year I can definitely get it above a 3.15 overall and a 2.85 science. Do you think I have a chance at Boston SMP?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't recommend applying right into an SMP. SMP's are very expensive and you should try your might in an app cycle (MD + DO) before applying to SMPs. You can apply to SMPs toward the end of your app cycle if you're having a very poor cycle, a lot of SMPs have long app cycles (Oct-May). You also haven't taken the MCAT yet, which is just as important as GPA and many SMP's require AN MCAT. Finally, gain a lot of great clinical experience, some research, really involve yourself in leadership at your institution, and volunteer in your community, and you could come out with a good app and not need an SMP. A ~3.2 gpa isn't great, but with a high MCAT it's okay for DO schools, you'll be reaching for MD's, but all you need is one A. Work towards a strong app.

If you have interest in primary care, I would be very hopeful for DO. If you REALLYYY want that MD acceptance, consider an SMP near the end of your app cycle if you're having a poor cycle. The most important thing is to submit your AMCAS/AACOMAS EARLY.

Hello! I am new to the forums and wanted advice

I am about to finish my sophomore year in college. I go to school at a medium sized ohio private university.

My GPA after this semester should be around 3.05 overall and 2.7 science GPA
I have had an upward trend each semester I just has a very bad freshman year first semester.

What should I do?
I am almost 20 and a URM
I have a good amount of shadowing hours and volunteering and involved in a good amount of clubs but not over done.

Would I even get accepted into an SMP if I apply next year as a junior? My junior year schedule fall semester is a good amount "easier" than my second semester sophomore schedule. I am taking physiology, chem lab, and genetics lab next fall along with psychology, medial ethics, horror film analysis (requirement), and history. I think I can pull all As in all of them but I need to stay on top of it in physiology. I think the others I can get an A in as I have done AP psych in HS and got an A and everything else I think I can as I am a very good writer (recommended by English profs to enter writing competitions but declined but I wish I was good right now in my other classes). I believe I can get around a 3.2 overall after junior year and a 2.8-2.9 science

I guess what I am trying to say is I don't think my GPA is an accurate representation of what I can do now especially after what happened freshman year. I was going through personal issues but I'm not here to seek forgiveness or sympathy. Can I get into an SMP with my stats? or what are some recommendation?
Stop thinking about SMP and concentrate on maintaining that rising GPA trend. Many meds schools weight the last 2-3 years more heavily over the entire cGPA.

Otherwise, SMPs are a dime-a-dozen, and you won't have a problem getting into one.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you breakdown your Sgpa? If you have 2.7 right now I'm sure you can bring up your Sgpa by the time you graduate. SMPs are expensive as I have done it. If you bring your MCAT high that will be compensate on top you are URM. It's kinda early for you to think about SMP. Keep focus on your study and bring all A grade. All the best!

Can you breakdown your Sgpa? If you have 2.7 right now I'm sure you can bring up your Sgpa by the time you graduate. SMPs are expensive as I have done it. If you bring your MCAT high that will be compensate on top you are URM. It's kinda early for you to think about SMP. Keep focus on your study and bring all A grade. All the best!
bio 1 C+
Bio 2 C
Calc 1 C
chem 1 D with Chem 1 class retake C
Chem 2 B+
Genetics C
Physics 1 A-
Orgo 1 C+
Bio 1 and 2 lab A and A
chem lab B-
Physics 2 A-
Physics lab 1 B
Physics lab 2 A
Ecology A- or B+
Psychology A
Orgo 2 (B or B+ depends how I do on the final)

my freshman year I was going through personal problems and id be willing to explain what went on but first semester was terrible second semester was slightly better. Im assuming after the semester with my lowest possible grade for cpm classes it'll be 2.67 but at best it can be 2.75 wish or slightly higher. There is definitely an upward trend and in comparison to this second semester as a sophomore to my first semester as a freshman there's about a 1.5 point difference in gap for the semester.

I wouldn't recommend applying right into an SMP. SMP's are very expensive and you should try your might in an app cycle (MD + DO) before applying to SMPs. You can apply to SMPs toward the end of your app cycle if you're having a very poor cycle, a lot of SMPs have long app cycles (Oct-May). You also haven't taken the MCAT yet, which is just as important as GPA and many SMP's require AN MCAT. Finally, gain a lot of great clinical experience, some research, really involve yourself in leadership at your institution, and volunteer in your community, and you could come out with a good app and not need an SMP. A ~3.2 gpa isn't great, but with a high MCAT it's okay for DO schools, you'll be reaching for MD's, but all you need is one A. Work towards a strong app.

If you have interest in primary care, I would be very hopeful for DO. If you REALLYYY want that MD acceptance, consider an SMP near the end of your app cycle if you're having a poor cycle. The most important thing is to submit your AMCAS/AACOMAS EARLY.
Understood. I will continue to try my hardest for the next year or so. I was wondering wouldn't I be screened out with a sub 3.0 sGPA even though my cGPA is above a 3.0?

I had very similar stats after my sophomore year of undergrad. I did pretty well my last two years, got a good MCAT score and got accepted to multiple medical schools. Focus on getting good grades now and no SMP or other degree will be needed.