M.D and D.O Merger ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Perhaps in the long run this will even the field. Sure, many MD schools have top tier research--but some of the top DO schools also have some level of research. In the end, it should all be about merit...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I have always considered applying to both M.D and D.O schools. Never thought it really matter which one I hopefully get accepted into, as long as I get accepted. But I've always read that a lot of D.O's are limited to primary care. As of right now, that's not where my interest lie.

So with the merger will D.O's start attending more specialties like Emergency Medicine, Cardiology, General Surgery and etc. rather than being limited to primary care ?

Thanks,
Cody K.

Everyone here knows that the MD and DO degrees are not merging, right? This "merger" means that osteopathic residencies are going to be accredited by the ACGME, which is the body that has traditionally accredited allopathic residency programs. As part of this process, the allopathic and osteopathic matches will be combined, and allopathic grads will be eligible to match into traditionally osteopathic programs. At least that is my understanding (I am not a GME person).

Reactions: 1 users
Everyone here knows that the MD and DO degrees are not merging, right? This "merger" means that osteopathic residencies are going to be accredited by the ACGME, which is the body that has traditionally accredited allopathic residency programs. As part of this process, the allopathic and osteopathic matches will be combined, and allopathic grads will be eligible to match into traditionally osteopathic programs. At least that is my understanding (I am not a GME person).
Accurate, but in time when you put two groups under the same overseeing body and held to the same standards the end result will be the same. Think of it as taking your pet boa constrictor and hamster and putting them into the same tank. There might be something left you can still call a hamster at the end but it'll probably be discarded next time you clean the tank.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for answering. How do you think 6.9 should be improved? You can PM me to keep this thread from getting off topic.

I would just take the appropriate LCME accrediting document, erase "LCME", and write in "COCA." For any curious individuals, COCA's version is here.

That it is easer to get COCA accreditation than LCME accreditation is not exactly controversial. Part of this exists in the level of detail required within the accreditations standards, and part exists in the accrediting body's enforcement of the standards as written. Only changing the former will not have the desired effect.

Last edited:
I was chatting with one of our Deans (who is a Mover and Shaker in the AOA) about this the other day and she told me that enough DOs will now sit on the ACGME Board to prevent anything major from happening that they see as detrimental to Osteopathy.

Will some AOA programs get closed? Yes. Will MDs now be able to get into the top AOA residencies? Yes. But the whole match process will get easier for DO grads. But do you think that a top DO student from, say, CCOM will be passed over for a lower quality Drexel or (god forbid) a CNU grad at a former ACGME site? No.

Accurate, but in time when you put two groups under the same overseeing body and held to the same standards the end result will be the same. Think of it as taking your pet boa constrictor and hamster and putting them into the same tank. There might be something left you can still call a hamster at the end but it'll probably be discarded next time you clean the tank.

Reactions: 3 users
I would just take the appropriate LCME accrediting document, erase "LCME", and write in "COCA." For any curious individuals, COCA's version is here.

That it is easer to get COCA accreditation than LCME accreditation is not exactly controversial. Part of this exists in the level of detail required within the accreditations standards, and part exists in the accrediting body's enforcement of the standards as written. Only changing the former will not have the desired effect.

There is no controversy because the mission of most DO schools differ from Allopathic schools, most Allopathic schools function as institutions of scholarly medical research, hence most faculty there engage in research and they have NIH funding, secondary to that is the training of new physicians. DO schools primarily exist to train physicians, and their primary directive is to train primary care physicians, hence they do not require the same level of infrastructure to carry out this mission.

Last edited:
I don't think allopaths will take an entire course to learn OMM just to get into a ortho/derm residency lol. Like this one statement is the big problem with medicine as it is.

Hahahaha...they will do that and more. Especially the borderline competitive candidates. The people I know going for those competitive specialties will do anything and everything they can to get a leg up.

There is no controversy because the mission of most DO schools differ from Allopathic schools, most Allopathic schools function as institutions of scholarly medical research, hence most faculty there engage in research and they have NIH funding, secondary to that is the training of new physicians. DO schools primary exist to train physicians, and their primary directive is to train primary care physicians, hence they do not require the same level of infrastructure to carry out this mission.

Pretty sure the goal of my medical school is to train medical doctors

There is no controversy because the mission of most DO schools differ from Allopathic schools, most Allopathic schools function as institutions of scholarly medical research, hence most faculty there engage in research and they have NIH funding, secondary to that is the training of new physicians. DO schools primarily exist to train physicians, and their primary directive is to train primary care physicians, hence they do not require the same level of infrastructure to carry out this mission.

I would say that most allopathic schools function within institutions that have the broader goals of clinical care, research, and education. I do not disagree that a pure education mission requires less infrastructure (see some of the new allopathic schools), but a lot of folks feel that COCA has gotten pretty permissive, especially with clinical affiliation requirements. It is now possible to open a school in a strip mall, hire 30 burned out faculty to teach the core preclinical material, partner with clinical sites that cannot support the students educational needs and have almost zero scholarly activity, and gain accreditation. I think the osteopathic physicians and physicians-in-training in this country deserve better.

Reactions: 5 users
I would say that most allopathic schools function within institutions that have the broader goals of clinical care, research, and education. I do not disagree that a pure education mission requires less infrastructure (see some of the new allopathic schools), but a lot of folks feel that COCA has gotten pretty permissive, especially with clinical affiliation requirements. It is now possible to open a school in a strip mall, hire 30 burned out faculty to teach the core preclinical material, partner with clinical sites that cannot support the students educational needs and have almost zero scholarly activity, and gain accreditation. I think the osteopathic physicians and physicians-in-training in this country deserve better.

+1000 cannot agree more. As ive said before, if i was to ever have the opportunity to play a role in DO education, I would pull a flexner and cut any DO school that had clerkship sites to hospitals with preceptor-only rotations with not a single GME program available. Would also enforce that scholarly activity be a necessity to maintain accredidation.

Reactions: 5 users
Agreed, as mentioned above, the match process with get easier. Will it get more competitive? probably, but it's a two -way street. Time will tell.

In this case, however, the hamster has an AK-47. Think of the Freedom Caucus in Congress and how they can gum up the works.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think boa constrictor still wins in this case.
8c77716d78055efd146e4ae673a0b47b.jpg

In this case, however, the hamster has an AK-47. Think of the Freedom Caucus in Congress and how they can gum up the works.

Was gonna like this one but that ain't look like an AK, it looks rather awfully like the AWG.

Edit: in the end the boa's got this one though.

I think boa constrictor still wins in this case.
8c77716d78055efd146e4ae673a0b47b.jpg

Last edited:
If this is the case, did you ask them why the bias exists in the first place?

I didn't, but I assume they just want to show preference to "their stock". I.e.: DOs giving preference to osteopathic students in the same vein as MDs continuing to show preference for allopathic schools.

So it goes.

Meh. If they had such armaments we wouldn't be talking about opening up osteo residencies to allo. The MD folks called their bluff and they folded their cards. No AK47. Just big talk and blunt little hamster teeth. I'll put my money on the boa. In any merger of unequal entities there's the one that gobbles the other and one that hopes he tastes bitter going down but can't do much about it.

Unfortunately, we won't know who's right until about 2022-2025, and I'll probably be retired by then!

Meh. If they had such armaments we wouldn't be talking about opening up osteo residencies to allo. The MD folks called their bluff and they folded their cards. No AK47. Just big talk and blunt little hamster teeth. I'll put my money on the boa. In any merger of unequal entities there's the one that gobbles the other and one that hopes he tastes bitter going down but can't do much about it.

Unfortunately, we won't know who's right until about 2022-2025, and I'll probably be retired by then!
Right in terms of whether the DO distinction exists still or right whether or not DOs are hosed? Sorry, I feel like uncertainty in the latter could mean a lot.

Whether L2d's viewpoint is correct, or me. I agree with the viewpoint that DMD and DDS are interchangeable, and DO vs MD is in that direction. It's an evolutionary process.

Right in terms of whether the DO distinction exists still or right whether or not DOs are hosed? Sorry, I feel like uncertainty in the latter could mean a lot.

Will some AOA programs get closed? Yes. Will MDs now be able to get into the top AOA residencies? Yes. But the whole match process will get easier for DO grads. But do you think that a top DO student from, say, CCOM will be passed over for a lower quality Drexel or (god forbid) a CNU grad at a former ACGME site? No.

I totally agree with @Goro and I, honestly, believe this is a very important point. The students that are applying to AOA surgical subspeciality programs are the best in their classes (good grades, high class rank, high COMLEX score, research/leadership etc.). I suspect that the MD students applying for those "formerly AOA" spots are not the best in their classes and, despite what some of you are saying, probably won't outshine the DO students.

I spoke with a friend at LECOM-Bradenton (who's gunning ortho, OMSIII) and he said that most DO surgical sub-specialty programs, firstly, don't even interview anyone that hasn't rotated with the program. I doubt many MD schools will quickly grant elective academic credit for rotating through the Osteopathic Graduate Medical Education programs of these hospitals that they have previously never had connections with. Secondly, he told me that most competitive specialties/programs have minimum COMLEX Step 1 score requirements to even rotate, let alone apply/interview. MD students that meet that percentile for the USMLE are probably competitive/safe for most ACGME programs.

He also gave me this specific example. Jersey City Medical Center's Ortho program (which he considers "undesirable" for competitive DO students because it's a brand new program that was created because a different hosting hospital shut down in New York, etc. etc.) has a minimum COMLEX score requirement of 570 (~85percentile) for anyone that wants to do an elective at their site (and, therefore, apply, be competitive at, etc.). The average USMLE score for students that matched Ortho in 2014 was 245 (~ 76percentile). So, the minimum test score requirement for this relatively "undesirable" DO ortho program is already above the average for people that matched ACGME ortho. (Probably because of how few AOA ortho spots there are). A US MD student that scores 85th percentile on USMLE (i.e. 252) should not have too hard of a time matching a traditional ACGME program. Keep in mind that more competitive AOA ortho programs (like in Ohio, Michigan) have COMLEX step1 score of 600 requirements.

He also said that the ACGME is requiring all PDs to programs that want an "osteopathic" recognition to be DOs. I doubt many of these DOs, that are clinical faculty at DO schools, have recruited DO students for years, will now magically be much more favorable to average MD students. Finally, at most competitive residency sites, PDs are part of an OPTI which are associated with DO schools. Some OPTIs have a say in GME director selections at hospitals and do the paperwork for residency funding. PDs rely on OPTIs a lot for accreditation help and salary funding. Even during the merger, hospitals that are associated with older OPTIs are having an easier time transitioning. My friend said that the OPTIs will be pushing the PDs to keep recruiting DOs. Remember that, in the DO world, OPTIs are the ones that start residency programs and not hospitals by themselves. OPTIs have a vested interest in making sure DOs match or else it reflects poorly on their home schools.

My friend suspects that [for competitive residency programs] some programs will close and most will shrink and a few will take this as an opportunity to convert to full MD programs (again, this has a lot to do with OPTIs and how much power/control they have with PDs and GME departments which differs by region). One example is Riverside County Regional Medical Center's Ortho Program, which he suspects will probably be converted to a very competitive MD program. He also said that, interestingly, CCOM's Neurosurgery program in Illinois has already been interviewing MDs for their next batch and they haven't even fully transitioned yet. The programs that know they can't meet those requirements are already starting to look for other avenues or stopping to take new residents already. Remember that there are bags of $$$ behind some of these programs and no PD wants to see their program close on their watch and lose the $$$.

Also, there is something that many of you aren't considering that that is that the ACGME and the NRMP are 2 totally separate entities. Eventually, the AOA agrees that there will be one match but they decided to postpone the logistics of that for another day. According to the contract that was signed earlier, it is up to the programs (OPTIs, PDs, hospitals, etc.) (at least for now) to decide to use the NRMP or stick with the AOA matching service. So, to think that a Harvard MD can rank PCOM's Ortho program alongside MGH in 2017 might also not be true. However, my friend and I both agree that any program that goes through the proce$$ of converting to an ACGME program will probably choose the NRMP over the AOA simply to make sure the competitive DO (and, to some extent, probably MD) students rank them. Currently, the AOA match occurs before the NRMP match, which also complicates the ball game.

And, finally, if you compare match lists from 5 years ago and to lists from last year, DO students are matching in ACGME programs (even in highly competitive
specialties) at higher rates. Touro New York (a new "factory" school that a poster was bashing above) got a student in Wayne State for Rad-Onc and another to University of Texas Medical Branch for Ortho. LECOM-Bradenton matched an ACGME Urology program, etc.etc. The notion that DO schools have inferior standards of medical education is disingenuous. Sure, some probably do. But, have you heard of California Northstate? Bye.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I totally agree with @Goro and I, honestly, believe this is a very important point. The students that are applying to AOA surgical subspeciality programs are the best in their classes (good grades, high class rank, high COMLEX score, research/leadership etc.). I suspect that the MD students applying for those "formerly AOA" spots are not the best in their classes and, despite what some of you are saying, probably won't outshine the DO students.

I spoke with a friend at LECOM-Bradenton (who's gunning ortho, OMSIII) and he said that most DO surgical sub-specialty programs, firstly, don't even interview anyone that hasn't rotated with the program. I doubt many MD schools will quickly grant elective academic credit for rotating through the Osteopathic Graduate Medical Education programs of these hospitals that they have previously never had connections with. Secondly, he told me that most competitive specialties/programs have minimum COMLEX Step 1 score requirements to even rotate, let alone apply/interview. MD students that meet that percentile for the USMLE are probably competitive/safe for most ACGME programs.

He also gave me this specific example. Jersey City Medical Center's Ortho program (which he considers "undesirable" for competitive DO students because it's a brand new program that was created because a different hosting hospital shut down in New York, etc. etc.) has a minimum COMLEX score requirement of 570 (~85percentile) for anyone that wants to do an elective at their site (and, therefore, apply, be competitive at, etc.). The average USMLE score for students that matched Ortho in 2014 was 245 (~ 76percentile). So, the minimum test score requirement for this relatively "undesirable" DO ortho program is already above the average for people that matched ACGME ortho. (Probably because of how few AOA ortho spots there are). A US MD student that scores 85th percentile on USMLE (i.e. 252) should not have too hard of a time matching a traditional ACGME program. Keep in mind that more competitive AOA ortho programs (like in Ohio, Michigan) have COMLEX step1 score of 600 requirements.

He also said that the ACGME is requiring all PDs to programs that want an "osteopathic" recognition to be DOs. I doubt many of these DOs, that are clinical faculty at DO schools, have recruited DO students for years, will now magically be much more favorable to average MD students. Finally, at most competitive residency sites, PDs are part of an OPTI which are associated with DO schools. Some OPTIs have a say in GME director selections at hospitals and do the paperwork for residency funding. PDs rely on OPTIs a lot for accreditation help and salary funding. Even during the merger, hospitals that are associated with older OPTIs are having an easier time transitioning. My friend said that the OPTIs will be pushing the PDs to keep recruiting DOs. Remember that, in the DO world, OPTIs are the ones that start residency programs and not hospitals by themselves. OPTIs have a vested interest in making sure DOs match or else it reflects poorly on their home schools.

My friend suspects that [for competitive residency programs] some programs will close and most will shrink and a few will take this as an opportunity to convert to full MD programs (again, this has a lot to do with OPTIs and how much power/control they have with PDs and GME departments which differs by region). One example is Riverside County Regional Medical Center's Ortho Program, which he suspects will probably be converted to a very competitive MD program. He also said that, interestingly, CCOM's Neurosurgery program in Illinois has already been interviewing MDs for their next batch and they haven't even fully transitioned yet. The programs that know they can't meet those requirements are already starting to look for other avenues or stopping to take new residents already. Remember that there are bags of $$$ behind some of these programs and no PD wants to see their program close on their watch and lose the $$$.

Also, there is something that many of you aren't considering that that is that the ACGME and the NRMP are 2 totally separate entities. Eventually, the AOA agrees that there will be one match but they decided to postpone the logistics of that for another day. According to the contract that was signed earlier, it is up to the programs (OPTIs, PDs, hospitals, etc.) (at least for now) to decide to use the NRMP or stick with the AOA matching service. So, to think that a Harvard MD can rank PCOM's Ortho program alongside MGH in 2017 might also not be true. However, my friend and I both agree that any program that goes through the proce$$ of converting to an ACGME program will probably choose the NRMP over the AOA simply to make sure the competitive DO (and, to some extent, probably MD) students rank them. Currently, the AOA match occurs before the NRMP match, which also complicates the ball game.

And, finally, if you compare match lists from 5 years ago and to lists from last year, DO students are matching in ACGME programs (even in highly competitive
specialties) at higher rates. Touro New York (a new "factory" school that a poster was bashing above) got a student in Wayne State for Rad-Onc and another to University of Texas Medical Branch for Ortho. LECOM-Bradenton matched an ACGME Urology program, etc.etc. The notion that DO schools have inferior standards of medical education is disingenuous. Sure, some probably do. But, have you heard of California Northstate? Bye.

See, kids? This is how type II errors are committed.

The percentiles for step and comlex are very different as you have very different populations takin the test. Allopathic grads are higher caliber than osteopathic grads. A 76th percentile on step 1 is much more impressive than an 85th percentile on comlex.

The percentiles for step and comlex are very different as you have very different populations takin the test. Allopathic grads are higher caliber than osteopathic grads. A 76th percentile on step 1 is much more impressive than an 85th percentile on comlex.

It depends on what schools you are comparing. Not every allopathic school has much higher caliber students in it than every other osteopathic school.

It depends on what schools you are comparing. Not every allopathic school has much higher caliber students in it than every other osteopathic school.
The right way to say it is that the majority of MD schools have higher caliber students than DO. A minority of MD schools have equal or lower caliber students due to their target demographic and/or rural geographic. All the data support this statement and this is why I believe the stigma of DO will still be prevalent for years to come until their admission standard changes in someway

The right way to say it is that the majority of MD schools have higher caliber students than DO. A minority of MD schools have equal or lower caliber students due to their target demographic and/or rural geographic. All the data support this statement and this is why I believe the stigma of DO will still be prevalent for years to come until their admission standard changes in someway

But what about all the borderline MD applicants who couldnt make it into a MD school for whatever reason. Making 1-2 points higher than someone on the MCAT and having the same GPAs doenst necessarily make you a "higher caliber" student than them.

There are also a fair number of applicants with 31/3.6+ gpas that couldnt get into MD schools for whatever reason and decided to go DO instead of not being a physician at all.

There are a lot of factors that make broad sweeping generalizations like yours pretty inaccurate. I would say that in general allopathic students are higher caliber students than osteopathic students, but the words "majority" and "minority" strike me as a little extreme in this case.

But what about all the borderline MD applicants who couldnt make it into a MD school for whatever reason. Making 1-2 points higher than someone on the MCAT and having the same GPAs doenst necessarily make you a "higher caliber" student than them.

There are also a fair number of applicants with 31/3.6+ gpas that couldnt get into MD schools for whatever reason and decided to go DO instead of not being a physician at all.

There are a lot of factors that make broad sweeping generalizations like yours pretty inaccurate. I would say that in general allopathic students are higher caliber students than osteopathic students, but the words "majority" and "minority" strike me as a little extreme in this case.
Your argument is a little confusing...the borderline MD applicants who couldn't get into MD so have to opt for DO and this somehow makes them better or the same caliber as the competitive applicants that do get into MD schools? Stats is definitely one of the important factors used to measure the caliber of an applicant if you think otherwise , I really can't agree with you. I am NOT saying that higher stats make better physicians just to be clear btw. It is not a generalizations when I said the majority of MD students are of higher caliber...it's the reality. You can compare your average DO accepted applicant and MD accepted applicant to figure things out. But hey, if you think I'm crazy for thinking this, I'm cool with that.

Your argument is a little confusing...the borderline MD applicants who couldn't get into MD so have to opt for DO and this somehow makes them better or the same caliber as the competitive applicants that do get into MD schools? Stats is definitely one of the important factors used to measure the caliber of an applicant if you think otherwise , I really can't agree with you. I am NOT saying that higher stats make better physicians just to be clear btw. It is not a generalizations when I said the majority of MD students are of higher caliber...it's the reality. You can compare your average DO accepted applicant and MD accepted applicant to figure things out. But hey, if you think I'm crazy for thinking this, I'm cool with that.

Lets take someone with a 30 MCAT and a 3.5 GPA vs someone with a 31 MCAT and a 3.6 GPA.

The person with the 31 MCAT and a 3.6 GPA gets into a MD medical school. The borderline MD candidate does not get into a MD school so opts to go the DO route.

Does that mean that the 31 MCAT and 3.6 GPA candidate is really a better caliber student than the one that had a 30MCAT and a 3.5 GPA.

I think the marginal difference between those two numbers does not allow one to confidently say that the 31/3.6 is a better caliber student than the person they have marginally better stats than. I think you are saying that it does. The reason I dont think it does is because both are so close to each other in stats and there is a reason that AAMC has a + or - 2 "confidence interval" on their MCAT THX.

What bothers me is the assumption that just because you went DO, you must have made a 25 MCAT and had a 3.3 GPA. What else leads Program Directors to toss out a DO graduate residency application out the window without even looking at it despite having great USMLE/Comlex scores? If its really the small differences that occur in matriculation stats between top tier DO schools and low tier MD schools, then everyone needs to chill out. Seriously. Or perhaps, what DO school you graduated from needs to start being taken into account.

I think the point is that the stats of accepted students have been going up mostly because the gross number of students applying every year has been going up. Currently, the range of acceptable scores and GPAs is very small for MD schools, but I don't think that means only people within that range are "good applicants." One of the biggest problems today is that well qualified students and people who'd make great doctors regularly get rejected because the schools have to find some way to thin down their enormous pile of applications.

As pre-meds, schools can only evaluate how good we are at being students when they make their decisions on who to accept. At the residency level, the programs have more data about how good the applicants are at being doctors. Applicants who show they can be good doctors are competitive, and the numbers don't show much correlation between med school entrance stats and physician quality.

This thread evolved from an interesting discussion on residency merger outcomes to MD/DO admission stats. -_-

Lets take someone with a 30 MCAT and a 3.5 GPA vs someone with a 31 MCAT and a 3.6 GPA.

The person with the 31 MCAT and a 3.6 GPA gets into a MD medical school. The borderline MD candidate does not get into a MD school so opts to go the DO route.

Does that mean that the 31 MCAT and 3.6 GPA candidate is really a better caliber student than the one that had a 30MCAT and a 3.5 GPA.

I think the marginal difference between those two numbers does not allow one to confidently say that the 31/3.6 is a better caliber student than the person they have marginally better stats than. I think you are saying that it does. The reason I dont think it does is because both are so close to each other in stats and there is a reason that AAMC has a + or - 2 "confidence interval" on their MCAT THX.

What bothers me is the assumption that just because you went DO, you must have made a 25 MCAT and had a 3.3 GPA. What else leads Program Directors to toss out a DO graduate residency application out the window without even looking at it despite having great USMLE/Comlex scores? If its really the small differences that occur in matriculation stats between top tier DO schools and low tier MD schools, then everyone needs to chill out. Seriously. Or perhaps, what DO school you graduated from needs to start being taken into account.
But the average accepted DO applicants do not have a 30/3.6 gpa...and they are close to 25/3.3 as well (from what I see 27/3.5 makes you competitive for DO) so again your argument is not very effective

But the average accepted DO applicants do not have a 30/3.6 gpa...and they are close to 25/3.3 as well (from what I see 27/3.5 makes you competitive for DO) so again your argument is not very effective

Which is why I was talking about the upper tier DO schools with much higher stats than the national average. But I'm done talking about this now. You are totally missing the point I'm trying to make here and keep referring to the DO matriculant national average.

I think the point is that the stats of accepted students have been going up mostly because the gross number of students applying every year has been going up. Currently, the range of acceptable scores and GPAs is very small for MD schools, but I don't think that means only people within that range are "good applicants." One of the biggest problems today is that well qualified students and people who'd make great doctors regularly get rejected because the schools have to find some way to thin down their enormous pile of applications.

As pre-meds, schools can only evaluate how good we are at being students when they make their decisions on who to accept. At the residency level, the programs have more data about how good the applicants are at being doctors. Applicants who show they can be good doctors are competitive, and the numbers don't show much correlation between med school entrance stats and physician quality.
Agree with your main point but also understand that within the "small acceptable range" for MD, there are already more good applicants than the number of MD schools can take in. So it doesn't really affect the quality of the students they take in by not going outside the range of their average stats.

Which is why I was talking about the upper tier DO schools with much higher stats than the national average. But I'm done talking about this now. You are totally missing the point I'm trying to make here and keep referring to the DO matriculant national average.
I keep using the average because you continue to use extreme examples in your argument by using top DO schools stats. It's like me using Harvard, Yale, and Standford average stats to make my arguments. I think I got your point just fine but I just happen to disagree with it and you didn't sway me with your post.

Only on SDN and to AOA programs are there top tier DO schools. Schools either have a regional reputation or are just all lumped together.

Only on SDN and to AOA programs are there top tier DO schools. Schools either have a regional reputation or are just all lumped together.

Actually nvm. No point.

Agree with your main point but also understand that within the "small acceptable range" for MD, there are already more good applicants than the number of MD schools can take in. So it doesn't really affect the quality of the students they take in by not going outside the range of their average stats.

Sure, the people who are in medical school are of course quality individuals, but the corollary is that quality also exists outside the small subset of people accepted.

I think the residency merger will serve to rank all existing residencies by quality, and the effect will be that MD and DO graduates will become interchangeable. Residents will be selected and stratified based on quality, and I think the future will show that this stratification happens on an individual level rather than MD vs DO.

yeah okay sure

Yeah what do i know I'm just a 4th year medical student that's applying for residency right now
Just passing step 1 is more impressive to me than doing well on comlex

You are using some assumed DO "upper tier student with high stats" compared with MD averages to make a point, and get mad when someone wants to compare MD averages to DO averages? I guess maybe I should make a counter argument that compares MDs from Harvard to DOs from the bottom half of their class.