Maimonides vs Downstate vs Hofstra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentofsdn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just trying to compare these programs and confirm/reject some impressions I got. They all seemed to be similar in fellowship match. Downstate seemed super happy, hofstra was solid, maimo seemed very meh. dont know if this holds true. WHole napa thing was sold as a positive at Hofstra, but I cant tell if that's true.

Members don't see this ad.

Also curious about these 3 programs to round out my rank list, have all 3 scheduled in January -> curious to hear any thoughts about them

How is napa a positive? People who work for an amc and are about production instead of teaching? They didn't get kicked out of westchester for no reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was told by many applicants that Downstate was malignantly overworking its residents. Not sure how true it is, but rumors do start from somewhere.

Just trying to compare these programs and confirm/reject some impressions I got. They all seemed to be similar in fellowship match. Downstate seemed super happy, hofstra was solid, maimo seemed very meh. dont know if this holds true. WHole napa thing was sold as a positive at Hofstra, but I cant tell if that's true.

Was told by many applicants that Downstate was malignantly overworking its residents. Not sure how true it is, but rumors do start from somewhere.

personally would pick Hofstra over the other 2. Maimo has a good mix of cases, and is a very big OB center. I did not get the impression that Downstate was malignant. the residents i met were very chill. downside is more commuting as their sites are located all over.. their education seemed bit weak to me. Hofstra is new, had a lot of money, and a very small class despite many cases. Ive heard residents get good cases since they have so many. NAPA is not necc a plus by any means, but if you do want a job in the area, it opens the door to all NAPA locations (unless you are REALLY REALLY bad, you are pretty much guaranteed a job). However, getting a job in NAPA isn't hard to begin with.

Reactions: 1 user
A classmate of mine cancelled his interview cuz of this rumour which is a shame. After talking to a few residents at interview day, it feels either like an old rumour that propagated till now, or just plain made up. They said 4-5 calls a month, get out by 4-5 every day, relief schedule based on seniority (CA-1s get out around 5, CA-3s around 4, overtime if they stay after 7 which a CA-1 says has only happened to him twice in the past 5 months...). Also the intern year seemed MAD cush (only 1 month of surgery). Maybe cuz its level 1 trauma and calls get crazy the person that started the rumour felt overworked?

A classmate of mine cancelled his interview cuz of this rumour which is a shame. After talking to a few residents at interview day, it feels either like an old rumour that propagated till now, or just plain made up. They said 4-5 calls a month, get out by 4-5 every day, relief schedule based on seniority (CA-1s get out around 5, CA-3s around 4, overtime if they stay after 7 which a CA-1 says has only happened to him twice in the past 5 months...). Also the intern year also seemed MAD cush (only 1 month of surgery). Maybe cuz its level 1 trauma and calls get crazy the person that started the rumour felt overworked?

it was true many years ago, then the PD changed and the program revamped.

Reactions: 1 user
personally would pick Hofstra over the other 2. Maimo has a good mix of cases, and is a very big OB center. I did not get the impression that Downstate was malignant. the residents i met were very chill. downside is more commuting as their sites are located all over.. their education seemed bit weak to me. Hofstra is new, had a lot of money, and a very small class despite many cases. Ive heard residents get good cases since they have so many. NAPA is not necc a plus by any means, but if you do want a job in the area, it opens the door to all NAPA locations (unless you are REALLY REALLY bad, you are pretty much guaranteed a job). However, getting a job in NAPA isn't hard to begin with.

Thanks for that summary. Does hofstra have the best fellowship match out of the bunch as well? Also, where would u put NYU brooklyn in that bunch?

Thanks for that summary. Does hofstra have the best fellowship match out of the bunch as well?

not sure since i dont go there but its a newish program so even their data is limited. i imagine the fellowship match would probably be comparable. i wouldn't be so hung up over fellowship match results to be honest. a lot of it has to do with how much YOU want it. besides it wasn't THAT long ago that people without fellowships were doing peds, and cardiac cases. seeing as these 3 programs are probably on the mid/low end of mid tier programs , their fellowship match probably reflect that as well, how much of it is due to the name of the program, vs quality of residents entering the program is debatable.

not sure since i dont go there but its a newish program so even their data is limited. i imagine the fellowship match would probably be comparable. i wouldn't be so hung up over fellowship match results to be honest. a lot of it has to do with how much YOU want it. besides it wasn't THAT long ago that people without fellowships were doing peds, and cardiac cases. seeing as these 3 programs are probably on the mid/low end of mid tier programs , their fellowship match probably reflect that as well, how much of it is due to the name of the program, vs quality of residents entering the program is debatable.

That's a good point.. Lastly, what do you think of NYU brooklyn compared to that bunch? They sold it as being just a 5th hospital in the NYU program since it has the same admin/PD, but I'm not sure how it's gonna be viewed by jobs/fellowships since it is a different home hospital after all.

That's a good point.. Lastly, what do you think of NYU brooklyn compared to that bunch? They sold it as being just a 5th hospital in the NYU program since it has the same admin/PD, but I'm not sure how it's gonna be viewed by jobs/fellowships since it is a different home hospital after all.

Not sure about that one. when i applied it didn't exist and that hospital was still part of downstate. its a decent non manhattan hospital so i imagine itd be mid tier like maimo. what did they tell you during interviews?

Not sure about that one. when i applied it didn't exist and that hospital was still part of downstate. its a decent non manhattan hospital so i imagine itd be mid tier like maimo. what did they tell you during interviews?
yea makes sense. They just said they're viewing it as part of the same residency and a 5th hospital in the system. Same PD, same didactics, same perks, but different home hospital. No one has started CA years there yet though, so idk how to view it.

yea makes sense. They just said they're viewing it as part of the same residency and a 5th hospital in the system. Same PD, same didactics, same perks, but different home hospital. No one has started CA years there yet though, so idk how to view it.

did they mention where theyd be trianing? partly nyu bklyn and part NYU manhattan? or just bklyn? when a institution takes over an existing hospital and then starts a new residency... it reminds me of admins doing it for cheap labor. with already a million programs in NYC area.. do we need more? :(

did they mention where theyd be trianing? partly nyu bklyn and part NYU manhattan? or just bklyn? when a institution takes over an existing hospital and then starts a new residency... it reminds me of admins doing it for cheap labor. with already a million programs in NYC area.. do we need more? :(

Their home hospital will be NYU langone brooklyn (formerly lutheran) and they will rotate to NYU manhattan hospitals for peds and cardiac. Not sure yet if downstate residents will be kicked out or not. I guess its a combination of cheap labor and NYU trying to expand their footprint I guess. I agree it's unnecessary since Lutheran already had Downstate residents, this doesn't really change anything for them. I guess it's nice for people really wanting to stay in NYC, there's even more options. But what's the use if trainig is gonna get diluted.

Their home hospital will be NYU langone brooklyn (formerly lutheran) and they will rotate to NYU manhattan hospitals for peds and cardiac. Not sure yet if downstate residents will be kicked out or not. I guess its a combination of cheap labor and NYU trying to expand their footprint I guess. I agree it's unnecessary since Lutheran already had Downstate residents, this doesn't really change anything for them. I guess it's nice for people really wanting to stay in NYC, there's even more options. But what's the use if trainig is gonna get diluted.

i think DS residents will be out, if not already? they were talking about DS leaving lutheran when i was applying years ago. but it sounds like a promising program among the brooklyn ones. lutheran is one of the better brklyn hospitals

i think DS residents will be out, if not already? they were talking about DS leaving lutheran when i was applying years ago. but it sounds like a promising program among the brooklyn ones. lutheran is one of the better brklyn hospitals

Didn't know that about Lutheran.. Think its a risk to rank NYU brooklyn higher than DS and maimo?