major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katiew

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone major in Psychology? If so what do you think of it.

Members don't see this ad.

i did :love: i love psychology!! it was fun for sure, but after you graduate its hard to find a job..especially research. a lot of people for some reason don't see the connection btwn psychology and wanting to go to medical school. everyone automatically assumes you want to be a psychologist. but thats just my case. especially since now i'm getting a master's in med micro..people are just dumbfounded..like how did i get from psychology to micro.. the people in psychology are more likeable than the people on the pre-med side...you should just go for something you are really really going to enjoy..good luck.. :luck:

I just added psych as my second major. :D It is so interesting (especially when looking at the physiological aspect of psychology) and it will be very useful because we'll be dealing with a number of different types of people while in med school, residency, and then while practicing as physicians.

I was a psych major, and my other major was English, so the pre-med thing really confused some people! And they do assume you want to be a psychiatrist, which isn't true in my case either. But I liked the major, because it was very science-oriented, but you didn't have to do a bunch of labs, and the people were very accepting. There would be students raising their hands in class and discussing personal experiences with mental illness or things like that that would never come up in a science class.

You learn a lot about yourself and others, and have fun at the same time. I think it is a great major for pre-meds because it is a broad subject. I had to take a research methods class, a statistics class, and several seminars all within one major. Plus we discussed the scientific method a lot, and wrote formal research papers, as well as conducted experiments. People say it's an easy major, or that it's not a real science, but I found it challenging, and more interesting than the supposedly "natural sciences."