Man Robs Bank of $1 to get Healthcare in Prison

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well if I haven't seen it all...

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/nc-man-allegedly-robs-bank-health-care-jail/story?id=13887040

A 59-year-old man has been jailed in Gastonia, N.C.,
on charges of larceny after allegedly robbing an RBC
Bank for $1 so he could get health care in prison.
Richard James Verone handed a female teller a note
demanding the money and claiming that he had a
gun, according to the police report.

He then sat down and waited for police to arrive.

"… I say, 'I'll be sitting right over here, on the chair,
waiting for the police,'" Verone told reporters,
recalling the June 9 robbery in an interview from
Gaston County Jail.

And wait for the police, he did.

"He's sitting on the sofa as you walk in the front
door," the bank teller said in a 911 call.

Police arrested Verone where he sat. He was unarmed.

Verone said he asked for $1 to show that his motives
were medical, not monetary, according to news
reports. With a growth in his chest, two ruptured
disks and no job, Verone hoped a three-year stint in
prison would afford him the health care he needed.

"I'm sort of a logical person and that was my logic,
what I came up with," Verone told reporters. "If it is
called manipulation, then out of necessity because I
need medical care, then I guess I am manipulating the
courts to get medical care."

But the charge of larceny, not armed robbery, is
unlikely to keep Verone behind bars for more than 12
months. He is being held in Gaston County Jail on a
$2,000 bond, according to a spokesman for the jail,
and is scheduled to appear in court June 28.

Does make you wonder. I am glad he didn't actually try to do anything or be armed. However, he must not be poor enough to qualify for medicaid?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh American healthcare system, how low you've sunk. I hope for the best for that gentleman. :(

and prisoners get free health care because...?

I mean it seems counterproductive to give a guy on death row healthcare. just sayin

Members don't see this ad :)

I mean it seems counterproductive to give a guy on death row healthcare. just sayin
Prisoners get free healthcare because they are human beings. How the hell are they supposed to buy insurance while they are in prison? Someone has to take care of them.

And which part of the article says he is on death row? :confused:

You do realize that the overwhelming majority of prisoners are not on death row right?

You do realize that the overwhelming majority of prisoners are not on death row right?
Yea thanks captain obvious. I was only talking about death row. Obviously this guy isn't on death row. But why shouldn't they just pay for health insurance like everyone else?

Prisoners get free healthcare because they are human beings. How the hell are they supposed to buy insurance while they are in prison? Someone has to take care of them.
That is a great deterrent to committing crimes. Go to jail, lose your insurance. Or continue to have none.

Made me laugh.

It's bad for a country when going to jail is a more attractive option than buying your own health insurance

That is a great deterrent to committing crimes. Go to jail, lose your insurance. Or continue to have none.

So that means people who are imprisoned automatically lose the right to medical care? What about those who are innocent or wrongly accused? What about those serving time for minor offences?

More of a commentary on the pathetic state of our health care system. I hope for the best from that man, although I condemn his way of seeking care.

Unfortunately, there are those who'll abuse the system. We have a man who killed his wife sitting in jail right now. She (he changed genders in prison) is now demanding that the state (Massachusetts) pay for a sex-change operation, and he's suing for it. Easy to say, he hasn't won yet. I truly feel bad for those who have no where else to go for critical medical care; I don't lose sleep for those who willfully manipulate the system and force taxpayers to pay for needless care.

Very tough issue, obviously.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes because all of the other deterrents we have for preventing time are working so well. :rolleyes:

so sad...our healthcare system sucks

@medicaid comment....it is so difficult to qualify and once you qualify very FEW providers will actually take you b/c the reimbursements suck

Yes, why would anyone hate going to jail anymore? Most of the prisons have TVs(cable), provide healthcare and many other amenities that people out on the street dont have. Yet, it seems they get rewarded for robbing a bank, raping some innocent person, or even domestic violence. People arent afraid to go to jail anymore, its not some place where they go to straighten up, its more of a hotel.

Yes, why would anyone hate going to jail anymore? Most of the prisons have TVs(cable), provide healthcare and many other amenities that people out on the street dont have. Yet, it seems they get rewarded for robbing a bank, raping some innocent person, or even domestic violence. People arent afraid to go to jail anymore, its not some place where they go to straighten up, its more of a hotel.

Yeah, jail is awesome.

Dude! Totally! Let's all got to jail! We can be one big SDN crime family!

I'm posting from jail as we speak! It is a great EC - I bet adcoms will eat it up. Maybe LizzyM can comment.

I lead a prison gang (leadership), recruit new inmates, teach them how to survive (tutoring), make shanks (Hobby), and fight in prison (learning how the body works).

Plus, I get healthcare paid by YOU. Thanks!

I'm posting from jail as we speak! It is a great EC - I bet adcoms will eat it up. Maybe LizzyM can comment.

I lead a prison gang (leadership), recruit new inmates, teach them how to survive (tutoring), make shanks (Hobby), and fight in prison (learning how the body works).

Plus, I get healthcare paid by YOU. Thanks!

Every time we kill someone we can dissect them and study their anatomy so then we can ace gross anatomy in MS1.

And that meth lab in my kitchen should be good for both gen chem and orgo credits.

Now I just gotta figure out good ways to get biology and physics credits!

Every time we kill someone we can dissect them and study their anatomy so then we can ace gross anatomy in MS1.

And that meth lab in my kitchen should be good for both gen chem and orgo credits.

Harvard said the meth lab counts for Gen Chem 1 and 2 with lab, not orgo.

I took botany (growing...some plants). It was good fun.

Harvard said the meth lab counts for Gen Chem 1 and 2 with lab, not orgo.

I took botany (growing...some plants). It was good fun.

Darn. I guess I can refine heroin for orgo.

Good idea I'll grow pot for bio and cross breed them like Mendel!

I will also commit some drive-bys for physics. I will measure how fast I was going and how far away from the snitch I am so I can calculate the velocity and acceleration of the bullets.

Last edited:

...because you are innocent until proven guilty...if you can't post bail, you wait in jail...innocent people are wrongly accused...cruel and unusual punishment is illegal...prisoners are human beings, a significant amount of which are in jail because they have drug problems, not because they killed someone....etc, etc, etc

You need to read up on prison gangs.

Prison is not a hotel.

You'd be surprised at how painful it is to have your freedom taken away. Participate in some indentured servitude for a week to see what I mean. Then add prison violence and rape to that as well.

Yea thanks captain obvious. I was only talking about death row. Obviously this guy isn't on death row. But why shouldn't they just pay for health insurance like everyone else?

Well I'll answer with more obviousness...maybe because they're in prison? :rolleyes:

I love how this guy admitted to cheating the system. I've heard that plenty of times where I work.

What a low-life.

I think we're also forgetting about the involuntary buttsex.

This could be 5 star resort material, for some. Ick.

so sad...our healthcare system sucks

@medicaid comment....it is so difficult to qualify and once you qualify very FEW providers will actually take you b/c the reimbursements suck

that's true, but if you get medicaid HMO you will be able to find someone who takes the insurance because they pay pretty well.

I think it's hard for us to assume what this man's medicaid/financial situation was but I have no doubt it will come to light in the near future.

Another good article on him. His message definitely touches on two separate issues... National healthcare 'problem' for civilians, and how expensive it is to keep prisoners in jail.

His choices:

1) $200-300 a month for insurance(Do unemployed qualify for medicaid?)

2) Using EMTALA

3) Making a "statement" by costing the tax payers for:
a) Health care.
b) First response from the Cops.
c) Months/Year in federal penitentiary.

...because you are innocent until proven guilty...if you can't post bail, you wait in jail...innocent people are wrongly accused...cruel and unusual punishment is illegal...prisoners are human beings, a significant amount of which are in jail because they have drug problems, not because they killed someone....etc, etc, etc

Correct me if I'm wrong (hint: I'm not), but aren't you a PRISONER because you've already been found guilty?

In jail, Verone said he skips dinner to avoid too much contact with the other inmates. He's already seen some nurses and is scheduled to see a doctor on Friday. He said he's hoping to receive back and foot surgery, and get the protrusion on his chest treated. Then he plans to spend a few years in jail, before getting out in time to collect Social Security and move to the beach.

Social "safety net", indeed. :rolleyes:

I think we're also forgetting about the involuntary buttsex.

hahzi.jpg

Yea prison is so great. I hear they're real helpful when you drop your soap while taking a shower too.

Plus you get salads, with your choice of jello or syrup.

Yea its certainly hilarious for people to complain that prisoners have it too easy.

I guess the 8th amendment is counter productive.:thumbup:

Truly a sad commentary on healthcare in the US

I guess the 8th amendment is counter productive.:thumbup:
right on bro! Other massive parts of the constitution are being ignored so the more the merrier!

/joke (I gotta put this because of people who think I am serious and PM me all serious. why so serious?)

Unfortunately, on the interwebz, things are srs.

Lol the ironic thing about this is, I saw an episode of lockup where the prisons in California had affiliation with the community colleges, so inmates were earning associates degrees while in their, I guess to help them get a job when they get out, I'll try to find the video when I get a chance to do some digging

One more thing they get for free that we pay for :-(

Last edited:
. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .“~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}…
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . ../. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._\;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, ..”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./…..\,__
,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..` ~-,
. .. `~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>–