Mandatory personality test? What?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

projekt

UGA c/o 2012
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, UGA requires a personality test, although it's after you've been accepted. Specifically, we take the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. They said it will be used during orientation.

What do you all think about that? I dislike these tests. I was right in the middle of every question, but it'll give me a score anyway.

Members don't see this ad.

They do something similar to that at Tennessee. Basically it's to see how you work with other people. I know at orientation here, they go through how the different types deal with stress and how we can all work better together.

I also took that test during orientation--it nailed me, much to my surprise. There aren't any good or bad personality types and it isn't going to mark you as a serial killer or anything like that. Each type has its strengths and weaknesses. I've found the suggestions for working with different personality types quite helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
The mandatory MBs left a bad taste in my mouth as well. It turns out, it's just a huge waste of time and less of a privacy invasion than once feared.

Well all of your classmates are going to find out really quickly what your basic personality type is, regardless of whether or not you (accurately) answer the test. I don't really see how its an invasion of privacy. Our class, for the most part, found ours to be pretty entertaining. Especially when they put up the class wide results and we saw we were about 70-80% overachieving perfectionalists! haha

Just have fun with it.

I think it was that same one that we did at orientation too, last year. Either that, or I'm recalling it because we did it at a managerial meeting where I worked.

Take from it what you will, and move on, and as PATHbrd said, try to have fun with it. Just roll with it, it's not meant to be die-hard serious :)

Ohio State does the DiSC assessment, which I liked a lot better than MB (I believe this is the one Penn does too - it is through Hills). Go into these sorts of things with an open mind and they can be a lot of fun.

I took this test freshman year of undergrad. It's not really at all an invasion of privacy. MOstly, you answer questions and it gives you labels: introvert/extrovert, judging, feeling, sensing, thinking, perceiving stuff like that. It's kind of cool b/c they will probably announce class stats, it's interesting to see where you fall. My "label" was 1 of 2 in my entire class of 300-something students.

It gives you tips on studying and getting along with the other personality types.

It's not concerete either, people can change. I'm sure if I were to take it in a few years it would be different than it was 2 years ago.

CSU had us do one before orientation as well. I think it will also be used to figure out how best we interact with eachother.

We get to do Myers-Briggs too! We even got a second email saying "this information will not, in any way, go into your school file, it is just to see how you interact with others, and will be used during orientation". Apparently others were concerned about the privacy issues. Personally, I don't really care -- as someone said, it will soon become evident how I interact with stress and people within the first exam! ;)

we had to do one for Ross too! =P

I had to do it for Ross, too. It's pretty basic stuff. This is the 3rd time I've had to take it- once for my undergrad orientation and once when I worked at a summer camp as part of staff training/bonding. It's really not a big deal! :) The questions are not really invasive, just sometimes repetitive. Definitely take the results with a grain of salt, though. As with most things, it's not 100% and it's not set in stone.

Members don't see this ad :)
We took the MBTI too, as part of our interpersonal skills seminars. Nothing to stress over. So what type are you guys?

Me = INTJ (the mastermind - cue evil laugh :laugh:)

I don't think UC-Davis does one... or at least, not until orientation! Anyone know?

I don't think UC-Davis does one... or at least, not until orientation! Anyone know?

Since you're coming here, I just wanted to let you know that the proper way to write out the school name does not include a dash and some people will (jokingly) get offended if you do so. I know that's how it is NORMALLY done, but California is weird. My SO learned this little fact at his PhD visit last year. ;)

UC Davis is fine, or University of California, Davis (with a comma). Semantics, haha!

I'm ENTJ. Whatever that means .... some of them seem rather contradictary, actually. meh.

I think if I wrote "University of California, Davis" I'd be a tool... and UCD is a little unclear on the vet boards... but thanks for the heads up! :)

We took the MBTI too, as part of our interpersonal skills seminars. Nothing to stress over. So what type are you guys?

Me = INTJ (the mastermind - cue evil laugh :laugh:)

Me too - muahahahahaha :laugh:

(Had to take it a couple of times at the companies I used to work for)

Oh, and no clue as to whether or not UC Davis requires one.

Yeah, we did DiSC at Penn. I am a high C, high D - like to be perfect, like to be in charge :)

We did another one for a VBMA course that was cooperativeness and compatibility, blah, blah, blah... it basically said "does not play well with others" :laugh: might have something to do with the wanting to be in charge!

MN has the meyers briggs as well, for use during orientation, etc. I thought it was annoying, but so vague that I didn't think that it was very invasive.

I don't think it's invasive, but I find it pseudo-scientific. If you find out someone is an INTJ, does that teach you how to relate to them? Is it being accommodating or patronizing to take it into account?

The Wikipedia criticism section is interesting. I especially thought it was interesting how the statistical distribution for each axis is unimodal. This means that most people are only slightly inclined toward "thinking" as opposed to "feeling", or whatever.

I like taking these little tests at times. For example, I read an informative book called "Who Am I?" by Steven Reiss that had a new personality test based on motivation. Unlike the Myers-Briggs, which was derived from Jung's theories, which I hear are somewhat dialectical, Reiss used factor analysis to form new categories from a large number of questions. If you're interested, it's selling (used) in hardcover for $0.20 on Amazon :)

I am surprised that so many schools do this as part of orientation.

So I got bored, and read the above link to the wiki site, and then followed a link to another site that had more specific interpretation. WOW it was crazy spot on --- especially with my biggest strengths and weaknesses.

So I got bored, and read the above link to the wiki site, and then followed a link to another site that had more specific interpretation. WOW it was crazy spot on --- especially with my biggest strengths and weaknesses.

Wow. I think I looked at the same site as you did, because it was very descriptive and it has me almost perfectly pegged. I'm ENFP, and it's really scary how perfectly it describes me. Whoa. Weird.
:eek:

They told us over here (and searching the forums, Laurefinn at Massey was told the same) that it was an AVMA requirement to do the personality testing, probably along the lines of having professional development coursework in the curriculum.

It was used for 'our own knowledge' so we can understand how we learn and interact with others. It was a bit of a waste of time, and school funds IMO.

I believe MB is free, though I know the DiSC test is $30/person. For OSU, Penn and a couple of others I know Hill sponsored the tests so that school funds aren't used for it.

I personally really enjoy personality tests. They are usually pretty interesting and I was surprised at how accurate the results of my DiSC profile were.

I tend to be a bit of a naysayer, but I thought the meyers thing was a bit stupid and transparent. I appreciate the idea of making us do it, and I complied. However, most of the questions were along these lines:

Would you like to:

A. Go out
B. Stay in

Would you rather:

A. Stay in a read a book
B. Go out and meet new people

What describes you best"

A. Science only!!! Ahhh, facts all the time! No creative thought or I will die!

B. I love to be innovative and think outside the box. Facts make me die inside.

Give me a break.

I think most people are neither wholly gregarious or introverted--so what the point of the test is, I'm not sure. In my middle school "health class" they also tried to classify everyone as introverts vs. extroverts. Very unhelpful. These questions were painfully similar.

Since you're coming here, I just wanted to let you know that the proper way to write out the school name does not include a dash and some people will (jokingly) get offended if you do so. I know that's how it is NORMALLY done, but California is weird. My SO learned this little fact at his PhD visit last year. ;)

UC Davis is fine, or University of California, Davis (with a comma). Semantics, haha!

No need to do that much typing or talking, just Davis is fine.

I hate astrology stuff (I'm really not a Libra at all, especially the last 5 years or so), but I love personality test stuff. Depending on how I take it, I'm either and ENTJ or INTJ with the Meyers Brigg. We did the DiSC for our orientation and I'm a hardcore D with a fairly high C. Veeeery low on the I and a moderately low S.

For anyone who's a Harry Potter fan, I find this highly amusing. I either get Severus Snape (woo hoo!) or Minerva McGonnagall. :cool:

http://piratemonkeysinc.com/quiz.php

I hate astrology stuff (I'm really not a Libra at all, especially the last 5 years or so), but I love personality test stuff. Depending on how I take it, I'm either and ENTJ or INTJ with the Meyers Brigg.

Meyers Briggs, as well as David Kiersey's work that came after in the same vein, .... is .....

ASTROLOGY!!!

I can prove it. They all take their work from Carl Jung and his work on archetypes and think it is "psychology". In fact, Jung spent many years and up until his death doing astrological charts, evidenced by letters to Freud in 1906 and continuing into 1911; and stated he thought that many problems found in psychiatry can find answers that are pre-ordained in the stars.

I kid you not. I had some interesting emails with Dr. Kiersey (and his son) over the subject over 8 years ago .. maybe 10?? Anyway, the MB became more like Kiersey's work and Kiersey's faded away to be replaced by his more ambitious efforts on different IQ's .. sports, mechanical, etc. But that is another story ...

The MBTI states quite clearly it is based on Jung's work, who in turn states his work borrows and is based on many ideas found in astrology.

Earth, air, fire, water ... the four basic elements ... move it around a little and you get the astrological signs with leanings in one direction or the other that are accounted for with rising sign, moon, Venus and Mars influences, etc. And alchemy. Jung was big on alchemy, too.

You should see the look on the faces of "facilitators" when they discover their "scientific" MBTI is based on (and a poor rip-off of) astrology.

Google it .. "Jung astrology Freud letter" and see what you get.

"While studying astrology I have applied it to concrete cases many times. ... It is an apt tool only when used intelligently. - C. G. Jung: Letters, volume 2, 1951-1961, pages 463-464, letter to Robert L. Kroon, 15 November 1958

Yep .. Jung used astrology to help his psychiatric patients all the way until his death.

Amazing, eh?

We did Meyers-Briggs during orientation last year and I hated it. Waste of time...

Wow, lenadeb, that's really interesting! And further reinforces why I didn't end up taking more than two psych classes in undergrad, even though I LOVE animal behavior and learning. :rolleyes:

It is also a requirement during orientation week to complete the Kiersey's test. Then you discuss what the results mean and how it will coincide with working in your PBL groups.