Manual Dexterity is Academic, ok?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EmanUT

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I don't play an instrument and am not a sculptor. For the manual dexterity question, is it ok to put academic things? For instance, I had to dissect 3 mm diameter nematode pockets on insects under a microscope and count the number of nematodes in them. I also had to handle insect eggs that are approximately 1.5 mm in diameter. Is it ok to put that and not that I carve statues out of wood?!?! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah!! I used to work in a limb regeneration lab for a few years in undergrad and conducted surgies on tadpoles under a microscope. I totally listed it under my manual dexterity skills. Everyone always asked about it at interviews and one interviewer even told me that it was great in preparing my hands for dental school (which it was).

Good luck.

Jonathan
UNC DDS 2009

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been taking organic chem I, II, and III labs for the past two years.

Can I mention that I have been building complicated apparatus in short period of time for the past two years?

Smooth Operater said:
I have been taking organic chem I, II, and III labs for the past two years.

Can I mention that I have been building complicated apparatus in short period of time for the past two years?

LOL, I remember Organic Lab...I think that should work because not everyone has the ability to build those...I can tell you from experience because the guy next to me in the lab would take the first hour of the lab basically to just build his stuff :laugh:

Best of Luck :luck:

EmanUT said:
Hey guys. So I don't play an instrument and am not a sculptor. For the manual dexterity question, is it ok to put academic things? For instance, I had to dissect 3 mm diameter nematode pockets on insects under a microscope and count the number of nematodes in them. I also had to handle insect eggs that are approximately 1.5 mm in diameter. Is it ok to put that and not that I carve statues out of wood?!?! Thanks!

Yes!

tinman831 said:
Sure that would work, as long as it was research and not just a one time exercise in a lab course.

No way! Both of these were for independent research projects adding up to approx. 1500 hours of time put in with posters and powerpoint presentations to show for it!

NO WAY BRO! the only way into dental school is to be able to wail out a sick slayer riff at your interview. If I had a dental school it would be simple......

NO TASTY LICKS = NO ADMISSION (playing November Rain on the piano would get you an alternate spot for sure..)