Manual Dexterity Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swimmer101

Reaction score
For this section, are you supposed to list manual Dexterity hobbies that you have participated in or something that you are actually good at and do often. I am having a hard time of thinking of what to do but I am applying next cycle. I am not very artistic or talented in that aspect. I have been trying several things like crocheting but it’s just not my thing. Do you guys have any recommendations? Should I try to do classes? I participate in painting, soap bar carving, etc. in clubs but not sure if that is enough. Someone older in my club said that in her interview she mentioned that she does pottery and she was asked to explain step by step what you have to do. That is why I am concerned as I have tried some of the listed ideas but I am not very good at any of it. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't overthink it too much. You have a very limited amount of space to put things down so you can't elaborate too much on it. Which I guess explains why they asked. But tbh, it doesn't have to be anything crazy. If you participate in painting and soap carving you can include that. I had that I was a helper for a cake decorator and was asked about it a few times in my interviews as that isn't as common. But again, you can include whatever. I also did a lot of small molecular biology things in the lab I worked in so that was included.

But realistically they just want to see that you can do something with your hands and that you know dentistry is for you. You will be trained much, much further in school with your hands. So as long as you have something you should be just fine.

Reactions: 1 users
So as long as I say I have been doing advanced coloring books with 0.38 mm colored pens, tried crocheting limited things, did painting soap carving and jewel making in club that is okay? Can I say that I partially know how to solve a rubric cube lol. And can you give an example of what small molecular biology things you did just so I can see if I have similar experience without realizing. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
So as long as I say I have been doing advanced coloring books with 0.38 mm colored pens, tried crocheting limited things, did painting soap carving and jewel making in club that is okay? Can I say that I partially know how to solve a rubric cube lol. And can you give an example of what small molecular biology things you did just so I can see if I have similar experience without realizing. Thanks
yeah that all sounds fine.

Trying to think back, but it was mostly a lot of small pipette work that I had to do. I also would go under a microscope and remove parts from small organisms to analyze using proteins using DNA/RNA extraction techniques. Either way, if you've done something that requires hand-eye coordination and it isn't video games, I think it's fair game to include.

For this section, are you supposed to list manual Dexterity hobbies that you have participated in or something that you are actually good at and do often. I am having a hard time of thinking of what to do but I am applying next cycle. I am not very artistic or talented in that aspect. I have been trying several things like crocheting but it’s just not my thing. Do you guys have any recommendations? Should I try to do classes? I participate in painting, soap bar carving, etc. in clubs but not sure if that is enough. Someone older in my club said that in her interview she mentioned that she does pottery and she was asked to explain step by step what you have to do. That is why I am concerned as I have tried some of the listed ideas but I am not very good at any of it. Thank you
Do you play a musical instrument, do any workworking or any type of crafts?
Those are just some suggestions you might not have thought about.

Just my 2 cents...Nancy

Nope no musical instruments or wood working unfortunately. I mean I have started to try to learn to crochet and color advanced drawings with a thin coloring pen. I have also done painting, soap bar carving, and drawing but that is more club events and not something I do on my alone time. I am thinking of helping my friend change parts in his car and work on that. Not sure if that would be considered manual dexterity. Any other suggestions?

Nope no musical instruments or wood working unfortunately. I mean I have started to try to learn to crochet and color advanced drawings with a thin coloring pen. I have also done painting, soap bar carving, and drawing but that is more club events and not something I do on my alone time. I am thinking of helping my friend change parts in his car and work on that. Not sure if that would be considered manual dexterity. Any other suggestions?

Have you ever considered origami? You might find it more interesting than crochet. There are numerous YouTube videos on origami that you can explore to see if it piques your interest.
Nancy

You have received the usual suggestions.

I wanted to point out your statement that you don't really enjoy these activities and are not very artistic.

I get a little worried about this because a good part of your preclinical will require you to work on the aesthetics. You'll be doing this for the rest of your career as well.

I like to ask what the most challenging project someone has taken on with their hand skills. The persistence of practice and technique is essential to your success, and I want to know you appreciate this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I remember people listing gaming and they still got into dental schools
and gaming requires lots of hand control and dexterity.

For me I listed that
I paint and cook, and also had some expiernece with graphic designing, and added some games I played like frisbee
just make sure you put something.