Maryland Job Market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sriddymopboi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anybody can comment on the Maryland job market - what are some of the groups to stay away from (NAPA, USAP?) and what are some groups that are worth working for, like Medstar? Do UM and Hopkins pay enough compared to other PP groups in the area? If anybody is working in an egalatarian group or is hiring please PM me, I'm interested in moving to the area!

Members don't see this ad.

Maryland job market goes from deep creek western side all the way to the Eastern side Salisbury/ocean city after 50 route

That’s like asking how the Texas market is or California market.

It’s a a long state Maryland

So what exact area are you looking at?

Even Baltimore and Maryland suburbs of DC are different with medstar hospitals.

I know the area super well.

There aren’t many cushy jobs. They all pay in the 450-550k with calls.

The few private practice places left partners can make over 1.2-1.4 million but average over 70 hours a week and 3 weekends a month. Solo cases. Do you want that?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would like to know what groups these are. The Annapolis group?
I know Annapolis like the back of my head. The main group works like dogs. Cover couple of hospitals.

No easy money. U will get paid well. The key is if you want to work hard. You will get paid

These days. Peeps like me don’t like to work hard (I’m being honest).

I’m was done at work at 10am today. Did one solo case myself. Already went to the gym. And I don’t have nights responsibility. I was out at 2p yesterday and that’s considered late for me. I make “only 450k”.

But making 550k (100k doesn’t appeal to me) if I’m working for me and it’s being taxed at 35%.

They do schedule K in Annapolis once a partner.

That’s the reason I left the north east area. I’m in the south.

Reactions: 1 users
I know Annapolis like the back of my head. The main group works like dogs. Cover couple of hospitals.

No easy money. U will get paid well. The key is if you want to work hard. You will get paid

I’m was done at work at 10am today. Did one solo case myself. Already went to the gym. And I don’t have nights responsibility. I was out at 2p yesterday and that’s considered late for me. I make “only 450k”.

But making 550k (100k doesn’t appeal to me) if I’m working for me and it’s being taxed at 35%.

Good to know. Didn’t realize that group has the potential for that. I was always told by others around the area the partners there make around 600k.

Is this Anne Arundel?

Good to know. Didn’t realize that group has the potential for that. I was always told by others around the area the partners there make around 600k.
Most of the partners make that.

Like I said. If u want to work 3 weekends and massive time of the seat. U can make 7 figures

Who wants to work 3 weekends a month?

No easy work

Even usap partners I know work like dogs for 850k-900k.

Locums is easier to make money. But not guaranteed money like partner money.?

What is ur expectation of working? 40 hours for 600k? That ain’t happening

Reactions: 1 user
Most of the partners make that.

Like I said. If u want to work 3 weekends and massive time of the seat. U can make 7 figures

Who wants to work 3 weekends a month?

No easy work

Even usap partners I know work like dogs for 850k-900k.

Locums is easier to make money. But not guaranteed money like partner money.?

What is ur expectation of working? 40 hours for 600k? That ain’t happening
40 hours x $400/hr x 40 weeks/year = $640,000

• Love
40 hours x $400/hr x 40 weeks/year = $640,000
Yes. Go do locums. By all means.

I know guys making 1.5-2 million locums

I’m pulling more than 100k in December (next month) by having them guarantee all my hours for a certain week. It’s temporary but it’s good money.

But it’s a place I don’t see myself time. My full time job is in a good location.

Reactions: 3 users
With regards to Hopkins, they used to be the worst paying job anywhere. For real, like 10th percentile. I made more in the Navy. Having said that, they did get a lot of academic time. It may only be the second worst paying job now? I never understood how they can hire anyone.

With regards to Hopkins, they used to be the worst paying job anywhere. For real, like 10th percentile. I made more in the Navy. Having said that, they did get a lot of academic time. It may only be the second worst paying job now? I never understood how they can hire anyone.

You get to say, “I am on faculty at JOHNS HOPKINS. See my .edu address.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes please
If you want to work strictly 40 hours you will be better off doing 1099 elsewhere.

My opinion is it’s not worth it as an employee unless you want profitable hours. Benefits not good.

And that’s important to a lot of people. Location and consistent hours.

Is that even good? I definitely have a better .edu
😂
Not sure where you are from but Hopkins name does pull a lot of weight in the academic world. This is why they were able to hire people for paying 250k before. However, Hopkins recently up their pay so they are about the 50th percentile. I would say your base (4 x 10 hrs) with built in calls (35 units) is about 400-425k. Call is pretty chill as it’s resident driven and most attendings are involved in the beginning of the academic year but as it goes mid academic year, they kinda let the ca3 run the show. Attendings will have about 3-4 in house attending back ups (anesthesia trained intensivist, OB attending, Peds anesthesia attending, CVSICU attending (anesthesia trained in card/crit care) and back up OR attending). You can make a lot of money if you desire. Some newer attendings made more than 550k and they have a great benefit as well. The healthcare plan is great as well. The downside is that it will be pretty hard to get good cases as a person who didn’t train at Hopkins bc they have so many subdivision providers (Neuro vs hepatobiliary vs NORA vs generalist). However, if you work hard and learn the coordinators, you will get good case loads just like other academic places.

I’m pulling more than 100k in December (next month) by having them guarantee all my hours for a certain week. It’s temporary but it’s good money.

But it’s a place I don’t see myself time. My full time job is in a good location.
How are they making that much? Even assuming 50 hours a week and a top of the market rate of $400/hr, 44 weeks is $880,000. The logical conclusion to that question is taking call, but it sounds like they are working postcall days and working ungodly amounts. Just curious what their setup is.

How are they making that much? Even assuming 50 hours a week and a top of the market rate of $400/hr, 44 weeks is $880,000. The logical conclusion to that question is taking call, but it sounds like they are working postcall days and working ungodly amounts. Just curious what their setup is.
The only real money is in the weekends. Working 62-64 hours for 30k on weekends. Plus their regular 1099 jobs weekdays.

Regular job (1099 weekday side hustle generates around around 15-20k m-f) done at 1p most days. Sometimes take beeper calls weekdays sleep in their own beds with family time.

Add to weekends 30k. That is the money ball.

You are easily looking at 40-50k a week.

Just do the math 44 weeks x 40k a week equals more than 1.7 million

They have their own locums companies. So under bid the big agencies. But obviously keep all the money to themselves. So their average is $450-hr.

They take 8-9 weeks off plus have days off.
Yes. Physically a lot of hours especially weekends but weekdays not a lot of physical work

And they pick and choose weekend assignments. They rarely will do solo 64 hr weekends. It’s 98% of the time with crnas in house. They aren’t idiots. No idiots would do solo in house 3 straight days on weekends.

The only real money is in the weekends. Working 62-64 hours for 30k on weekends. Plus their regular 1099 jobs weekdays.

Regular job (1099 weekday side hustle generates around around 15-20k m-f) done at 1p most days. Sometimes take beeper calls weekdays sleep in their own beds with family time.

They have their own locums companies. So under bid the big agencies. But obviously keep all the money to themselves. So their average is $450-hr.

Yes. Physically a lot of hours especially weekends but weekdays not a lot of physical work

And they pick and choose weekend assignments. They rarely will do solo 64 hr weekends. It’s 98% of the time with crnas in house. They aren’t idiots. No idiots would do solo in house 3 straight days on weekends.
Having a CRNA inhouse (when not needed) just detracts from the money pot. I convinced an assignment to consolidate the overnight coverage to a solo doc since I rarely ever used the CRNA. I got a 125/h bump in pay and they saved the same amount.

Having a CRNA inhouse (when not needed) just detracts from the money pot. I convinced an assignment to consolidate the overnight coverage to a solo doc since I rarely ever used the CRNA. I got a 125/h bump in pay and they saved the same amount.
They already getting $450/hr. If locums pays u $575/hr more power to u. And it’s consistent one year contract they have

And u aren’t doing 64 hours of work 3 days in house either.

Like I said. Hours worked on weekends matters to generate that money.

Doing one 24 hour call without crna solo will generate $7000-10000.

But can u do it 3 nights in a row in house solo?

These numbers look wild to me.

I have a close friend who works part-time (32 weeks/year) at his primary job and hustles a lot of locum gigs. His best locum gig pays $30-35k/week. He takes cardiac beeper call for $4k/day for for a week at a time. Covers only cardiac cases. The $4k daily rate includes up to 8hrs of anesthesia time. If he goes beyond 8hrs of anesthesia time in any 24hr period, he gets an additional $400/hr. Half the days he does just one case and works 5-6hrs. The other half he does 2 cases which bumps him over the 8hr threshold and he makes more money. On Saturday he may get a case or not. On Sunday there are usually no cases.

He has another regular assignment at a small rural hospital. It pays $2500/day for beeper call. They provide a lake house for him to stay. Small quiet OR where he usually works 4-5hrs/day. He also does this a week at a time.

Last edited:

Where do you find these jobs?

Maryland job market goes from deep creek western side all the way to the Eastern side Salisbury/ocean city after 50 route

That’s like asking how the Texas market is or California market.

It’s a a long state Maryland

So what exact area are you looking at?

Even Baltimore and Maryland suburbs of DC are different with medstar hospitals.

I know the area super well.

There aren’t many cushy jobs. They all pay in the 450-550k with calls.

The few private practice places left partners can make over 1.2-1.4 million but average over 70 hours a week and 3 weekends a month. Solo cases. Do you want that?

Would like to know what groups these are. The Annapolis group?

If it is the Annapolis group, we have a recent hire who took a huge pay cut to come work with us. They do seem accustomed to working hard.

The name

I knew someone who was explicitly told during an interview at a Big Name place that
1) you've been a resident and fellow so it's still a big pay increase
2) you get to put us on your resume for the rest of your career

He had the courtesy to graciously finish the rest of the interview. A better man than I.

• Haha
In my experience the more prestigious and bigger the name , the lower the pay at academic places

If it is the Annapolis group, we have a recent hire who took a huge pay cut to come work with us. They do seem accustomed to working hard.
They come and go. That’s why as locums. U gotta be prepared to leave and be credentialed at many places. I try to work within an hour radius maybe 2 hours if the money is good. I’m currently credentialed at 4 hospitals. Surgery centers I’m not worried about. They just ask u to take a pee test and credential u in 1-2 days.

Place wanted me to work Xmas week. I said I wanted a 100 hour guarantee. For the week. It’s 1.5 hours away. It’s the hours I’m after.
the context of the sentence was the other poster said he/she got an extra $125/hr extra by telling the hospital he could do without a crna for call.

My response is sure. You can do solo in house anesthesia call 3 nights in a row? To get ur self an extra $125/hr without crna. 3 nights in a row? It’s doable. But That’s rough.

These numbers look wild to me.

I have a close friend who works part-time (32 weeks/year) at his primary job and hustles a lot of locum gigs. His best locum gig pays $30-35k/week. He takes cardiac beeper call for $4k/day for for a week at a time. Covers only cardiac cases. The $4k daily rate includes up to 8hrs of anesthesia time. If he goes beyond 8hrs of anesthesia time in any 24hr period, he gets an additional $400/hr. Half the days he does just one case and works 5-6hrs. The other half he does 2 cases which bumps him over the 8hr threshold and he makes more money. On Saturday he may get a case or not. On Sunday there are usually no cases.

He has another regular assignment at a small rural hospital. It pays $2500/day for beeper call. They provide a lake house for him to stay. Small quiet OR where he usually works 4-5hrs/day. He also does this a week at a time.
Nice, in which state is your buddy working?

Man seems crazy to work 80 hours a week and 40 weekends a year unless you have a specific target/thing to accomplish. What’s the going rate on buying back hours of time when you are relatively young and healthy? I’m all for working hard, but at a certain point I wouldn’t really enjoy life much working that many hours…and we have all taken care of people younger than us with cancer etc. nothing is guaranteed. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

**** peeps, I just did Thursday night, Friday and Saturday calls and only earned $7750. I seriously need to renegotiate.

• Haha
**** peeps, I just did Thursday night, Friday and Saturday calls and only earned $7750. I seriously need to renegotiate.

Wut?? You didn’t get $25k ;)

On average we’d get more than that for 3nights of call at my FT job.

Last edited:

Home call? I worked roughly 22 hrs total. Saturday was flat rate $3200, weeknights are beeper call $1000 plus $300/hr after 2 hours. Which is definitely not the going rate even locally. This was my first moonlighting gig after residency so I didn't think about negotiating.

Horrible. It really depends if it’s ur home base.
Weekends should be at least $3000 beeper these days plus hourly rate. If I’m not making more than $6000 per 24 hr at my home base (aka ur own bed at ur own home). I ain’t doing the weekend on beeper.

If I’m at hotel. That rate better be closer to $8000 per 24 hours even on beeper. I don’t play around with beeper anymore.

• Wow

$32500 is the best weekend gig I’ve gotten offered but it’s mainly in house 3pm Friday-Monday 7am.

But it’s almost 110 min from my house. Didn’t feel like driving that far like close to 2 hours.

I told those guys 500k/3 weeknight nights (6 nights of calls per month (Friday Saturday Sunday) plus 50k sign on bonus x 3 years. 26 weekends a year. I’d take to. Or they continue to bleed money on weekends.

Home call? I worked roughly 22 hrs total. Saturday was flat rate $3200, weeknights are beeper call $1000 plus $300/hr after 2 hours. Which is definitely not the going rate even locally. This was my first moonlighting gig after residency so I didn't think about negotiating.

No. In-house 5pm-7am. Usually work 5pm-11pm or 5pm-mn, then sleep all night. Occasional work all night or most of the night but then get paid more since pay is production+stipend.

$32500 is the best weekend gig I’ve gotten offered but it’s mainly in house 3pm Friday-Monday 7am.

But it’s almost 110 min from my house. Didn’t feel like driving that far like close to 2 hours.

I told those guys 500k/3 weeknight nights (6 nights of calls per month (Friday Saturday Sunday) plus 50k sign on bonus x 3 years. 26 weekends a year. I’d take to. Or they continue to bleed money on weekends.

What region is this?

3 nights of 1st call (5p-7a) here = $9-10K at face value, but you lose out on making money during the pre-call day on Friday and post-call day on Monday, decreasing the net value of it to a little over $5K more than you'd have made working a normal day Friday and Monday without call, or $7700 if you worked 24 on Friday, then 2x14s on Saturday and Sunday night.

This is awful. 22hrs * 350 = 7700. This is for weekday shift.

You are basically providing calls for free and charging a lower rate for inconvenient, fragmented coverage.

For your calls, I will not do them with 2x your compensation.

What region is this?
Florida but my friend getting similar in the upper mid west near Canada. Even better rate

It’s all about desperation. It’s only good for 6-12 months but if you hit the desperation level the right time. U will hit the jackpot.

After reading this, I think I'm being massively underpaid.

What's the average beeper call setup for most peeps? Small amount to hold the pager and then more when called in? Post call past a certain time? Specialty call any differences?

I wonder how much thought goes into this from the admin side of things.

What sort of scenario are the locums making 1.5-2 mill?

Somewhere between fantasyland and misery.
I’m gonna to hit at least 75k just doing 2.5 days of beeper call x 3 weekends.

Just image me doing full time locums. They are not fantasy numbers.

I just negotiated $800/hr all guaranteed even on beeper Xmas day. That’s almost 20k for full 24 hours. Now I’m gonna to split it with another doc. He’s gonna to do 7am-7p. I will take over and do 7p-7am beeper. All guarantee. So I get the best of both worlds. Spent Xmas morning opening up gifts with the family. Other guy is Jewish. So doesn’t care. About Xmas morning.

The money is in the calls. Not the daytime hours.

That’s why I tell the young folks to get stable w2 job. My job has all my weekends free. I’m basically free after 1-3pm almost every day. To do damage on weekends.

Better yet. Try to find a job 6-7 calls a month (24 hrs) full time for 500k do more damage on free time off.

Or negotiate job with 20 weeks off and 500k. So many variations how to make extra money. Plus have stable w2 income.

But the days of working q4 calls. Mix in with lates are over.

People want day time work 40 hours and no calls. Or lots of calls and lots of time off.

The in between is where u get unhappy people.